Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Helmet Variant Suggestion Thread  (Read 597 times)

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Helmet Variant Suggestion Thread
« on: October 03, 2023, 12:38:51 am »

I will soon begin work on a very large mod, of which the primary purpose will be to expand the visual variation of helmets and, to some extent, armor and weapons of the different civilizations, by adding many different helmets to the game, each with a randomly-generated, and possibly randomly-decorated sprite.

What I request of the readers of this thread, is to offer suggestions for different historical helmet designs you wish to be added, example pictures and that sort of thing are certainly welcome, as well as ideas on which civilizations to add them to, ideas on the modding itself, etc. Any and every idea is welcome, even fantasy-type helmets. As noted earlier, variations of weapons and other armor will also be made, so suggestions for any of these are also welcome.

On the modding side of this, the method I will be using is the creation of many different helmet items, with a different ID of course for each one, which will then have different chances of being available for each civilization, so as to avoid over-saturation, and result in more unique individual civilizations. Each helmet type will then be given a selection of sprites, which will be chosen from randomly when worn by a given creature. Along with the variations in design of the different helmet sprites, some may include random decorations, things like engravings or horns or plumes may be selected from randomly as well, which will add another layer to the generation, resulting in a multiplicative increase in the possible variations.

As for the helmets' properties themselves, as the code lacks any tools for protection of different parts of the head, and so, all helmets will cover the same area: The head, and only the head. I have considered the coverage token, which in vanilla is used to make the cap effective only 50% of the time when a dwarf is struck in the head, but I have decided the use of this would only make some helmets straight upgrades to others. So all helmets will have coverage 100%, until tools are added to offer differing part protection for head items.

If anyone has suggestions or advice for the background modding side of the project, I will gladly receive them.

DPh Kraken

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUNS:it:its:itself]
    • View Profile
Re: Helmet Variant Suggestion Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 07:50:57 pm »

I like sallets and frogmouths.
[CHEESE_PLANT] and [CHEESE_GRAPHICS] biggest fan
Mod releases

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 08:13:57 pm »

Hm, frogmouths are certainly very striking in appearance.

I was thinking that perhaps dwarves should have helmet options more focused on the later medieval ages (and humans on the dark ones), but I suppose they might largely inhibit the beard. Any ideas for more advanced helmets, which nonetheless let the beard run freely? The in-game helmet is very reminiscent of the barbute, which of course allows for such, but I can't think of any others which are similar.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 07:50:28 am »

Hm, frogmouths are certainly very striking in appearance.

I was thinking that perhaps dwarves should have helmet options more focused on the later medieval ages (and humans on the dark ones), but I suppose they might largely inhibit the beard. Any ideas for more advanced helmets, which nonetheless let the beard run freely? The in-game helmet is very reminiscent of the barbute, which of course allows for such, but I can't think of any others which are similar.

Id say the human ones are more of a 'T' shape barbute, to dwarven 'Y' barbutes. Frogmouths and Greathelms (of the classic knight templar kind) are kind of the same kind of plate armor in heavyness and really seperate to the normal 'helm' object.

Maybe a classic scandinavian 'Gjermundbu' helmet? Warhammer and a few other fantasy titles seems to follow that aesthetic so that beard-masks can be paired into a continuous piece. It was also carried through in 'The Hobbit's peter jackson adaptation, where there's a specifically moulded place for beards. . Something individually that had occured to me, would be assigning artifact pieces some special provenance sprites to create a unique set of symbol/genuine artifact items, like attaching horns to fit a classic viking/dwarf visage.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 04:24:33 pm »

Yeah I don't know what to do about the beards. On the one hand, dwarves have a much higher level of metallurgy developed in the form of steel, and so later medieval helmets like frogmouths would make sense, but rather inhibit beards. But on the other hand, humans have comparatively simple metallurgy, and so I'd like to think that they'd usually have more dark age-style helmets, like the Gjermundbu you mentioned.

An idea I have is to make two separate human civilization types, one with earlier styles of armor and weapons, and one with later styles. Maybe the former can start at taigas or something similar, in order to differentiate them geographically. This way, I can still make the later style helmets for humans, but the styles won't be mixed in individual civilizations. So you won't get a spectacle helmet alongside soldiers wearing frogmouths. And the dwarves can then get some appropriate dark age-style helmets which let their beards flow freely, and a few later style helmets that do the same.

As for your ideas of beard masks, I'm thinking that is a good idea for artifacts, but for regular helmets it might be a bit much. Artifacts could perhaps have a randomly selected group of different decorations, but that may be too much considering how unique each different artifact helmet is. There's also the fact that the sprite would change depending on which dwarf wore the helmet. So artifacts should probably just have one sprite, to keep them consistent. But yes, a unique style artifact sprite for each helmet type would be great. That's already kind of the case with the base game, as artifact dwarf helmets have a unique sprite with a beard piece like you're talking about, but I'm sure I can get real creative with different styles. Like horns for one type, a Sutton Hoo style faceplate for another, maybe a wolf or dragon face on the crest like with this baby: https://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dragon-helm_of_Dor-lómin

Though, that may be a bit difficult to do considering it's pixel art, lol. Though, I will be using the CGE mod as a base for the sprites, so perhaps that'll allow enough detail.

Also, I'm thinking a rarer subset of helmets might do, which would be based more on fantasy designs than real life. Stuff like the classic fantasy viking style you mention, with horns on most helmets. Designs taken from Frank Frazetta, and that sort of thing. Especially for goblins. For dwarves and humans of course, they'd have the RARE argument for their rarity in the entity raws, but with goblins perhaps it may even be the most common.

By the way, would you clarify what you mean by "special provenance sprites?" I think I have the idea of what you mean, but I'm not sure.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2023, 05:04:22 pm »

Symbols of office take up artifact tier statuses and sprites (as well as are recognized as such in stockpiles), in whatever mundane object you give that status you could effectively play dress up with militia commanders and other nobles to make them more recognizable, like filling out a costume to differentiate your monarch from other dwarves.

Though some of my thoughts since on layered sprites have lead to making a suggestion thread about them, as they're relatively limited but artifact quality variants are within reach without compromising on materials. For example, entirely independently you could assign a custom look of armor to soldiers and weaponlords with layered sprites, regardless of what the helmet is through class without a massive redesign of the object or splitting it unless its functionally important.

Digganob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 06:17:46 pm »

Ah, I had not the idea that they would show up as artifacts do. Is it only if they're named once assigned as symbols?

Also, I second the ideas put forth in that thread. I'll go ahead and throw some comment in there myself.