Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: RAWR Dwarf Fortress is EVIL.  (Read 44448 times)

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RAWR Dwarf Fortress is EVIL.
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 06:55:40 am »

DF has only one ending:

Losing :P

It's Fun.
Not to be a smartass but one of the reasons I like DF is because when it ends, it's in a diffrent way.

"Hmm...was that bauxite or what...?"
"Nope..it wasn't bauxite"
-Everything dies to very slow moving magma.-
Etc...it's one of the things I like about the game.
Event driven games < Dwarf Fortress
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 07:32:35 am »

When you quote, don't remove the person that actually said it :)

But yes DF have different ways of getting to the same end of Fun.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 07:52:57 am »

When you quote, don't remove the person that actually said it :)

But yes DF have different ways of getting to the same end of Fun.
Yeah, it messed up...I didn't know who made the quote so i just removed one of the names (Couldn't be stuffed fixing :P) It's late here.

If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 08:22:51 am »

That is technically 7 more endings that DF has....

Death by magma
Death by goblin invasion
Death by goblin ambush
Death by human invasion
Death by drowning
Death by wildlife
Death by skeletal wildlife
Death by zombies
Death by fish
Death by tantrum spiral
Death from old age/no migrants
Death from berserk champion
Death from mass cave-in
Death by hidden Fun(3 versions)

And the more embarrassing

Death by elf invasion
Death by kobold raid

Don't say DF has just one ending, just because they all mean the game is over it doesn't mean it's the same ending..And even then it's not the true end, you can start a new fort..Even reclaim your old fort,

DF doesn't need a sequel, DF is it's own sequel.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 08:53:59 am »

I think you missed my point
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 09:24:53 am »

I think you missed my point
I think you missed his maybeeee.
I thought he didn't mean it like that, more a "It's a never-ending story." if you want it to be.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 09:28:21 am »

I thought he didn't mean it like that, more a "It's a never-ending story." if you want it to be.

That is what I assumed he meant :)

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:18 am »

That is what I assumed he meant :)
-is confuzzled-
I was allso going to say that I may have confused what you said, but i'm to tired at this moment.
Well..this is a pointless argument..
You can end DF, but every-time is most likely going to be a different way...it's not scripted...where as Bioshock 2 is. Argh now I've forgotten the original point and everything. Time to sleep...

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 04:42:50 pm »

When I turn on the computer in the morning, DF turns on. It dosn't turn off until 2PM at night. DF is the bane of my life, like cocaine for a drug-addict. Except, much more deadly.

Plus, I just noticed I'm viewer 1337. . .that has got to be an omen.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

Just to clarify, I mean that a game/world of DF can last as long as you want it to if you want, and fort 2 can be the sequel to fort 1. Just like Silent hill 1 is one story(fort), Silent hill 2 was another story(Second fort after the first ended), and then Silent hill 3 continued with the original story(Reclaimed fort 1)

So, yeah, I admit it was also late at night when I wrote that, so I might not have made/make a lot of sense.

DF forums are addicting too, making me post past midnight.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Vayre

• Bay Watcher
  • Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 11:47:15 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun, Evil is good, and the first hit is free... Actually, all the hits are free... Dang, no wonder it's so addicting.

sigg'd for great justice

Edit: or not, stupid line span limit ;-;
And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 01:49:27 pm »

Yeah, I haven't played other games much since I found Dwarf Fortress a few weeks ago.  I've still got my unfinished save of Dragon Age, which is currently in the Dwarf Fortress.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:08:37 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:16 am »

DF eats up most of my time. It's nearly as bad as the Sims was for me about devouring time. I still play other games, when I'm frustrated with DF because my fortress exploded into an orgy of violence and death, with a sprinkling of fire and magma, but I always come back. It's almost like an abusive boyfriend sort of thing, except he's only violent when he drinks, and he only drinks when he's angry.... I lost my point somewhere in there....
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

JavelinD

• Bay Watcher
  • ... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 07:23:38 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun, Evil is good, and the first hit is free... Actually, all the hits are free... Dang, no wonder it's so addicting.

sigg'd for great justice

Edit: or not, stupid line span limit ;-;

<---- idea ninja
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4