Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding the valley  (Read 1558 times)

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flooding the valley
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:54:50 pm »

I have a map with a huge valley with a brook at the bottom. I dug in right at the bottom of the valley and built a tower that my dwarves have to enter through. I want to flood the bottom level of the valley with water, that's where the surface of the brook is. How would I go about doing this?

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Flooding the valley
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:50 pm »

You can't have it overflow by damming, so you'll have to build a pump stack from the brook up to the level you want the water.  Make sure you dig a channel through the brook tile you draw from.

I'm not sure if the water will flow back into the brook - if it does, you'll have to build floors over all the brook tiles except the one your pump stack draws from.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:07:22 pm »

Ah, I've done this before.

Things to keep in mind:

1. Any brook tiles will drain water, so before you start pumping, you need to floor over the rest of the tiles to prevent water from escaping. You could also construct a tunnel over the brook up to a certain point to prevent backflow and let your dwarves have dry access to the pumps. You also would avoid needing to block off the brook itself (that is, pumping out water and building a wall across it slowly and steadily). And you could put the waterwheels behind the pumps, so no worries about power for the plant.

2. Assuming the valley terminates at the map edge, you will need to build walls up to the height you want the water to be. I suggest leaving a spillway.

3. You will need pump stacks as high as you want the water, so with the pumphouse setup in #1, you just need to build scaffolding up the sides.

4. To avoid constant "Cancel dig: wet stone detected", dig out everything you want BEFORE flooding the valley.

Does that help?

dralloss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:56 pm »

Yea, thanks a ton guys.

Only problem is I just realized i'm only running about 35 fps right now because I have 170 Dwarves.
So flooding everything would put me at about 5...
Sad day :(

Zanziik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »

Sounds like time for some trimming down of undesirables in dwarven society!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 02:00:06 pm »

Hey, I think that if you channel out the brook tiles they will act like regular rivers, and will not drain water. This may be better than flooring over everything.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:02:22 pm »

Well, the flooring over is more to just prevent the water from having an escape route, because it will drain away through the brook as easily as it would through empty space.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 10:00:48 pm »

Roads would be more efficient than floors seeing as how a three tile wide road that is ten spaces long only consumes eight blocks rather than the thirty that would be needed for flooring of the same space.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:47:55 am »

Yea, thanks a ton guys.

Only problem is I just realized i'm only running about 35 fps right now because I have 170 Dwarves.
So flooding everything would put me at about 5...
Sad day :(

Be happy, I run at 5 with 60 dwarves!

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:07:11 pm »

Roads would be more efficient than floors seeing as how a three tile wide road that is ten spaces long only consumes eight blocks rather than the thirty that would be needed for flooring of the same space.

True.

In general, it's a good idea to cap your dwarves and birth rates, and start on these sorts of projects early in the fortress's life while you have lower risks of siege/ambush.

wagawaga

• Bay Watcher
  • He is utterly unaware of his own intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 01:34:42 pm »

Bridges are even a better option.
They do the same job, less materials than a floor and you could link all them to a lever just in case you want to empty the valley.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 03:19:07 pm »

Or a water cannon... Hmmm...