Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Square tiles?

(1/4) > >>

Kikkoman:
I don't know about the possibility of this, but since (in my understanding) the characters are not displayed directly from DOS, but rather through some OpenGL platform, could it be possible to make them square? That way the fortress would look less stretched out vertically.

UncleSporky:
It's possible to make it square right now, you have control over the window resolution in the init file.  The only problem is that all the tiles get squished and look kind of odd, so to fix that there'd need to be a new ASCII set that's square.  And then the game window is very horizontal and odd-feeling IMO.But yeah, you can do it right now.

imsabbel:
I think the tiles look ok. Better than in fullscreen, in fact.If you look at the tiles.bmp file, you will notice that the native tiles are rather square. The game just squishes them narrow normally.But you mention an important thing: the windows is oddly wide because the aspect ratio is totally screwed up currently.

Toady One:
I don't have any distortion at all.  The default 640x300 window is a standard curses view, with the 8x12 tiles arranged in a 80x25 grid.  All the numbers work out.  If you change to another font file without changing the window size they become distorted, and you have to compensate.  I think the fullscreen mode is matched as well, which would mean 10x24 tiles, though I don't have the file here to check.

UncleSporky:
The distortion I was talking about was for those who want their tiles perfectly square.  If you set your window to 640x200, for example.EDIT: That's probably a bad example.  Exactly square but also unplayable.  Probably the best solution would be to set the window to 800x300 since the 600 doubles the tile height...there's no distortion at that resolution and it's almost exactly square.[ August 30, 2006: Message edited by: UncleSporky ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version