Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Jesuses?  (Read 4080 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Jesuses?
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:14:07 pm »

So, playing my fort, first I had a female horse, not having any male horses as part of my fort, produce horse foals.  Now, this happened while an Elf caravan was there, so I initially assumed one of their horses had just knocked up mine.  Odd, but hey, free horses.

However, with no elves present, my female jaguar (initially bought from said elves, admittedly) produced Jaguar cubs.  Now, I have no major complaint about this, but I am a bit confused, having been under the impression that there had to be a male of the species SOMEWHERE on the map, even if they didn't need to come into contact.  Are these animals just immacuately conceiving?  Am I raising a race of animal saviors?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Animal Jesuses?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

Far more mundane than that, I'm afraid.  The animals simply arrived on your map already pregnant.
Sanity is for the weak.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 07:15:00 pm »

For the jaguar: probably arrived pregnant as stated... unless you;'re in a region where Jaguars are possible, in which case, see below...

For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 12:00:34 am »

For the horse, though, it's possible that wild horses migrated in, knocked her up, and migrated off.

Did they even call afterward?
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

sarack

• Bay Watcher
  • We need a slogan!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:37 am »

sigged.
on a more related note, i wasn't aware that animals can enter the map already pregnant. DF gets deeper every day.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:31:01 am »

sigged.
on a more related note, i wasn't aware that animals can enter the map already pregnant. DF gets deeper every day.

sure they can. a woman can migrate, have a miscarriage before reaching your fortress and end up a berzerker before the season's over
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 02:53:44 am »

sure they can. a woman can migrate, have a miscarriage before reaching your fortress and end up a berzerker before the season's over

Holy...has that actually happened to you? That has to be like...a one in a billion chance.

Seems like everyone who arrives at my fortress is perfectly stable. They usually aren't messed up until they enter my halls and breathe in the scent of a million fox and cat corpses.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 06:12:11 am »

Keep an eye on the foal. If it starts turning water into wine, you've got it made.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 07:20:10 am »

If it turns the wine to water tho.... encase it in ice, dig it out and drop it into magma.....