Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Battle for Wesnoth  (Read 6981 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Battle for Wesnoth
« on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:25 pm »

Free turn-based strategy game. It's pretty fun, you can level up your units and such. However, one of its most fun features also detracts from it, in my opinion; you can level units and you'll keep them for the next mission, but I really suck so I end up having terrible units at high level missions and getting killed.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Battle for Wesnoth
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:19:36 pm »

Secret at not sucking:

Attempt to retreat your fucking troops in the wrong daytime :)

Unless you're under time limit, then avoid combat.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:28:05 pm »

It always sucks when your best unit is lost because the RNG decided to spite you.  :'(

I haven't played in a while, though, but I vaguely remember the game autosaving every turn - if you're really having trouble, consider frequent save-scumming to save your best troops. Or play one of the shorter campaigns, where you aren't expected to have a massive uber-force by the end of the game.  ;D

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:31:33 pm »

Another tip:

If your plan relies heavily on an outcome of one fight, then you should change your plan. Even if you have 95% chance to succeed.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 12:43:35 am »

It's alright. Not enough RPG for my tastes, and too much of the game boils down to standing on the right terrain at the right time of day, then retreating after taking any damage at all.

It's well done for what it is, I'm just not fond of a lot of their vision for it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:29:05 am »

It's alright. Not enough RPG for my tastes, and too much of the game boils down to standing on the right terrain at the right time of day, then retreating after taking any damage at all.

It's well done for what it is, I'm just not fond of a lot of their vision for it.

No offense, but downloading a turn-based strategy game when you're looking for an RPG is... kinda like downloading DF when looking for a FPS.  :P

But yeah, a lot of the game is 'playing the numbers', using the right terrain or time of day, and then praying that the RNG is generous (or at least not too unfair!).

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 03:52:48 pm »

I would love that game if multiplier was not a pain in the the butt .
Thank you based dwarf.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 05:43:58 pm »

No offense, but downloading a turn-based strategy game when you're looking for an RPG is... kinda like downloading DF when looking for a FPS..

Fixed.
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 10:27:02 pm »

Hah! Excellent wordplay there.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 04:02:56 am »

Took me a few reads to see the "fix". Bravo.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 05:43:33 am »

*bows*

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:20 pm »

Actually, I wasn't going to sig it because the format is hard to understand (it's really only clear if you put both posts together, and that might be too long to fit in a sig), but I'll put it in my sig thread.

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:20:30 pm »

um....sorry if I seem ignorant here, but what is the wordplay? Also, yeah...the game is more like a turn based strategy game with RPG mixed in, then the other way around.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »

Ah, the wordplay was kind of hard to get.
The original quote was:
No offense, but downloading a turn-based strategy game when you're looking for an RPG is... kinda like downloading DF when looking for a FPS..
FPS means First-Person Shooter, like CounterStrike or Call of Duty. Thexor says that it's not really reasonable to criticize Wesnoth for not being RPG-ish enough, just as it wouldn't be reasonable to criticize Dwarf Fortress for not being FPS-ish enough, since that's not the point - Dwarf Fortress isn't supposed to be a first person shooter, and Wesnoth isn't supposed to be a role-playing game.
This is the wordplay quote:
As you can see, "a" is stricken out, so it now says "kinda like downloading DF when looking for FPS". FPS also means frames per second, or how many images are shown every second you play. Movies and TV are usually around 24 frames per second. Dwarf Fortress is a notorious resource hog - mature fortresses can get so much lag that they slow down to 1 or 2 frames per second. Thus, one shouldn't download Dwarf Fortress looking for high FPS.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »

So is there like a new thread for this game every other week then? The last one only just fell off the first page, people!
Pages: [1] 2