Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Improve balista firing arc.

(1/2) > >>

Tamren:
Balistas and catapults are extremely frustrating to use because the firing arc is so narrow. To cover a stretch of wall you essentialy have to plate the wall with siege weapons in order to cover all of the ground in front.Instead, can we simply give them a firing arc of 90 degrees so that they can attack targets in any direction as long as you orient them to the right quarter? If the dwarves can turn balistas around to reposition them, then turning a balista a few degrees as part of gunning should be easy. I know it doesn't make much sense graphically, but the closest we will come to free rotating balistas is adding diagonal siege engine graphics.Also, can we get siege weapon targetting over multi-Z levels? Catapults should be able to fire over obstacles within reason. (and with spotters)This would make it 800% easier to use these weapons for siege defences.

Lazer Bomb:
I laughed, because when i saw the title i thought for a moment that you were suggesting an "Arc", but then i read it properly and realized you meant how balistas are fired.

Drunken:
i would like to see my 8 or so legendary siege engineers actually be more accurate than the ones that have never fired a bolt in their lives. Even if its only by a little bit. Wider angles might look a bit funny if it was done in my fortress as I fire through a single fortification hole.Edit: diagram removed, not displaying correctly[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: Drunken ]

Draco18s:
quote:Originally posted by Drunken:
<STRONG>Edit: diagram removed, not displaying correctly</STRONG>Try the [code] tag?

Keiseth:
Edit: Sorry. Apparently I uh, posted in the wrong topic, or had the wrong tab selected. How embarrassing.[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version