Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 23540 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #180 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:56 am »

Reading this thread and the announcement convinced me to donate another 40 dollars this month. Hope it helps :)

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:42 am »

I'm curious- is threetoe also being sported in whole or in part by the donations?
one thing people should keep in mind is that toady could be making a lot more money working in industry or academia with his abilities.
I can live on far less than 30K but I'm in my early 20's with no commitments.
What would happen if toady wanted to get a mortgage, start a family, save for retirement, pay unexpected expenses?

30K a year is not a lot of money unless you're a teenager or just out of college.
I'm not sure how much running the website costs but it's got to cut into that as well.

On a related note I'm gonna donate more when I next have a regular paycheck.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:59 am »

I'm curious- is threetoe also being sported in whole or in part by the donations?
one thing people should keep in mind is that toady could be making a lot more money working in industry or academia with his abilities.

If you want to add other considerations then of course that is a personal choice, however please don't expect people to include your considerations as something everyone should bear in mind. Lots of people probably have their own other reasons, for example I am personally much more likely to donate / buy indie games than 'commercial' ones because it's something I wish to support as a whole.

It's his choice to make the game, he would (and did) do it without donations. I choose to donate because the game is good and to show I value it not because of any perceived sacrifices on his part.

The only real thing to consider is what the game is worth to you.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2010, 02:39:51 pm »

The only real thing to consider is what the game is worth to you.
</thread>

Please, move along, nothing to see here!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:42:20 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2010, 10:33:09 pm »

And we will have to live with that.
</thread>

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:21 am »

Can we all just let the matter drop? This discussion will not lead us to a happy place.

Wait, I thought this was the internet, where all places were vicious flamewars punctuated occasionally with banhammers, and the only happy places were the ones where you were winning the wars. (I kid)
The catch is, they ne'er stay won. [like all rules, this has an exception, I personally know]
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]