Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How do you cheat? If at all?  (Read 9830 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you cheat? If at all?
« on: February 28, 2010, 10:22:59 pm »

I've modded my dwarves to have SPEED:1, and I made it so Adamantine is not only free, but it makes 10 bars each time ;D
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: How do you cheat? If at all?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 10:30:06 pm »

I do not cheat because losing is fun.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 10:40:58 pm »

/thread.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:42:30 pm »

I've played a guitar with my penis.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:42:40 pm »

What about cheating to make it so that losing is more fun?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Bandages

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:12:04 pm »

What about cheating to make it so that losing is more fun?

That's called "modding"

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:21 pm »

I posted in the modding section on how I cheat.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=50247.0

Basically, just so I start off with more stuff. I use this when I start off somewhere where I know there will be limited resources of if I want to start a megaproject off quickly.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 07:16:48 am »

I save scum if I lose important dwarves or progress to what I perceive to be "unfairness" from the game. I.e., bugs, interface shortcomings, etc. That's usually about it. :)
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 04:44:13 pm »

I use dwarf companion to heal nerve damage that occurs while sparring.
I use dwarf therapist to put the children to work.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 05:07:26 pm »

I play as elves.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:01:09 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:37:36 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:12 pm »

I used dwarf therapist to make the children gather plants and heal/haul the wounded, and the queen catch and clean fish because she was high master in both on arrival.

That's about it, aside from various adjustment of init files. No mods, no raw changes, no dwarf companion.
Oh, and save-scumming if my favourite dwarves die, the military is massacred due to a mistake, or a single misplaced designation makes the fort unlivable due to flooding or somesuch.

However, dwarven idiocy throwing a number of kids into the chasm, or into magma? Fuck it, can't be bothered to savescum.

My miner falling into the intake for the elf drowner due to forgetting grates don't support anything, and that there's no floor under the axles?
Interesting challenge, and he can do some useful work while he's down there. I may even toss a woodcutter down to remove the trees that sprouted during the process.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:17:48 pm »

I play as elves.

What the fuck is wrong with you? At least do you destroy your fortress in an epic tantrum spiral over a piece of wood?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 09:35:26 pm »

I save-scum if a) I lose dwarves I care about to mistakes caused by the unique physics of DF, and b) I have saved recently enough that getting that dwarf back is worth repeating the work I would lose. If case a) confuses you, what I mean is things like a dwarf placing a constructed floor next to a grate, bars, bridge, etc. and having it crush 7 or 8 people all of a sudden, or the weather changing in 1 frame so that 1-deep water turns into a solid ice wall and kills anyone standing on it.

I use [SPEED:172], I find that this counteracts the low FPS caused by playing on a 9x9 embark and the immense losses of labor caused by stone dumping. The other reason I do this is that dwarf fortress already treats time and space in very relative fashions. Some tasks, like making a table out of rock, might to take a couple days of real time, reflected by a handful of seconds ingame. This holds true. Some tasks, however, such as flipping a lever at the end of the hallway, are taking the same amount of ingame time where they would take minutes or moments in real time. So how does my perception of time in DF improve by simply speeding up everything? The most time-consuming part of any job done by any dwarf is walking to and from places. The most time-consuming part for the player is designating work to be done. Since the two cannot occur at once, I was finding that I didn't enjoy DF as much in the past because it was very low-interaction most of the time. That is, once I designate some stuff, I basically just had to watch the game run, for 2 or 3 or 4 hours. While this is going on, I look around the fort and keep noticing things I need to do. Rather than leave it alone and forget about them, I keep designating more and more stuff and finally the fort is choked to death at 2 FPS. To get massive amounts of work done like stone dumping, mass-producing silk items, etc. I either had to get 200 dwarves and then spend all my time making bedrooms and food and booze and other stuff I already know how to do, and suffer deplorable FPS and therefore get no work done anyway, or I can cap population at something personal and reasonable like 45 where I have time to know and care about all the dwarves and decent enough FPS that work gets done once I queue it. By speeding up the dwarves, the biggest timesink--moving from place to place--is softened, while the relatively small number of dwarves still limits total work output since a given number are always partying, eating, drinking, trapped behind a floodgate, dumping a dead cave spider from across the map, sleeping, or what have you. It just means that once they decide it's time to work, they get a lot done! With dwarves moving and working very quickly I find that I can make huge queues of work and have all the dwarves busy even with indoor work.

I tend to pick a few animals I really like and set a goal of breeding them. These I usually give long lifespans and a bit of natural armor.

I normally mod the rock\stone\metal raws to reduce the needless complexity. I don't need three kinds of pewter, to me pewter is a contaminant in my fortress until someone needs it for a fey mood. Specifically, I simplified pewter to just Pewter, got rid of the reactions for making alloys from ore, differentiated lignite and coal a bit more, deleted many of the non-precious gems which are only semantically-different variants of more commonly-known gems, etc. etc. etc. Basically just changed things more to my liking.

In my current fort, seen as my last DF40d fortress, I have reactions to convert junk stone and plants into other raw materials. The idea is that in exchange for 20 hauling jobs, a smelter job, 15 junk stone, and 5 stacks worth of underground plants, you can produce other items you might need. The ones I use most are 15 rock + 5 dimple cup = 20 iron bars, 15 rock + 5 plump helmet = 20 tower cap logs. Since I don't have magma yet I also make a lot of bituminous coal from 15 rock + 5 tower cap logs.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

tombthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • oddly appropriate name
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:18:04 pm »

I don't cheat, if anything I make the game harder (and by harder I mean 300 foot tall nigh invincible super beings)
Must... eat... demon raaaaaaat! ARGLEBARGLEBARGLEBARGLE *CRASH* OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Tastes like... SAAAATAAAAAAAN!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4