Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wolf attack  (Read 4149 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
wolf attack
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:43:53 am »

similar things have been suggested under mass migrations

i simply suggest that the goblins be able to send a sea of wolves against your fort as an alternative to a traditional siege or ambush (another option would be to have goblin ambushes accompanied by wolf packs).

since wolves arnt that powerful their arrival would need to be unanncounced and an early rather than late game event to have any effect.

better still the goblins could imbue to wolves with toxins or diseases or something else nasty.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wolf attack
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 02:10:09 pm »

I vote humans bring some sort of DF version of Mughal War Elephants to the party.  Because Mughal War elephants are awesome.

There could be some interesting possibilities for war parties using "expendable beasts" to up the anty.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:12:38 pm »

In one of my fortresses, I have dog patrol squads that are each basically a single dwarf with about 10 dogs each (a mix of war and hunting dogs). These are then given a patrol route around the fortress and take turns looking for enemies with their dogs in tow. I've caught many kobolds and goblins this way.

Something like this could be done for DF, too - Goblin attacks could include "dog squads" made up of a single goblin and a number of dogs assigned to him or her. This goblin could then order his or her dogs to attack enemies, a bit like the dog units in Rome: Total War.

-----------

As a bit of a side note, I really hope the wolf AI is tweaked in an upcoming version. I went out into the wild in Adventure mode and got jumped and killed by four wolves. I mean, come on. Wolves do not hunt humans (and as a logical consequence, probably not dwarves and elves either). I'm sick and tired of wolves being these suicidal killing machines in just about every fantasy game I ever come across. It's as ridiculous as human-hunting foxes, or human-eating mountain goats. It does not happen. Sure, people are, very rarely, killed by wolves, just the same way they're killed by power outlets, tripping over their dog's water bowl, or having a plane crash in their heads, but this doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly rare occurrence.

The ironic thing is that animals that often are aggressive towards humans, such as musk oxen, are pretty much always perfectly tranquil in fantasy/RPG games. Go figure.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:16:02 pm »

Even more interesting is how fitting your sig is in this case ;)

Anyway, on a similar note, the Romans used to throw pots full of poisonous snakes or scorpions into enemy strongholds. Although in such a stressfull situation they'd perhaps kill a few, the real effect would probably be that they'd freak the hell out of anyone near it. Perhaps something similar could be added to sieges?

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:31:32 pm »

Didn't they, or someone else, use bees, too?
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 06:36:04 pm »

In the next version, civs already tame animals local to them and use them for war.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:28:56 am »

In the next version, civs already tame animals local to them and use them for war.
"lemme see... 4 goblin lashers, 8 swordsgoblins, 5 goblin archers and... 11 skeletal cave crocodiles?! Oh crud..."

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:44:09 pm »

"lemme see... 4 goblin lashers, 8 swordsgoblins, 5 goblin archers and... 11 skeletal cave crocodiles?! Oh crud..."
"activate the FTW device."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 04:28:07 pm »

I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 06:06:30 pm »

It would be nice if sieges regularly brought helpers with them.

You can get goblins with beak dogs and in extremely rare cases even trolls.

A goblin army riding beak dogs with a troll assault force to bash down your doors is very, very awesome. Its 300% more stuff to kill!  :D