Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 23630 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2010, 04:20:13 pm »

Thankfully he does live in one of the cheapest states, so that does help.
Seattle is actually a very expensive city to live in. I happen to live here myself, and I cringe looking at the amount he is having to live on. He is lucky to still have savings from when he did have a job, but those will not last him forever.

It is, but its not San Fransico expensive, or Los Angles expensive, or even Anaheim expensive.

Do you live in any of those cities?

I lived through Los Angles, and a lot of orange county, as well was washington, oregon and nevada.

Currently I reside in Mojave, CA. A small rural town of three thousand. One bedroom apartments go for about 300-450 a month. The RV grounds I live in charge 170 for space rent. With utilities during the summer, it peeks at ~250.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »

One bedroom around the SF bay is $800+ a month man, unless you share with someone or live in Oakland. *shudder*

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2010, 07:44:29 pm »

One bedroom around the SF bay is $800+ a month man, unless you share with someone or live in Oakland. *shudder*

Yea, I never made above 1500 a month. That 3/4 of my max income thus far. That 1500 was only during late September and January.  Rest of the year, I hover around 1100.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2010, 10:28:16 pm »

Has Toady or Threetoe actually flat out said how much they want before they consider 'the beast' fed and give us our reward?
As far as I can tell it was just a silly dramatization of the situation.  The release schedule will probably be as fluid as ever - Toady can only work so fast, as he is human, and it's not like extra money will make him go faster; it can only keep him from needing to get another job (which would slow things considerably).  Plus he came down sick awhile back, there's nothing anyone can do about how much that held things back.  It's the kind of thing you have to learn to be patient with when what you're waiting for only has one guy working on it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2010, 06:02:12 pm »

Money can't buy extra hours in a day. Lower donations should hardly have any influence on his working speed.

Technically speaking, it CAN. Enough donations would build him an ultra-fast circular maglev track, so he could eat, sleep, and work on DF in a time-dilated environment. After a few years, we'd maybe get an extra line of code out of it.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2010, 10:21:06 pm »

Money can't buy extra hours in a day. Lower donations should hardly have any influence on his working speed.

Technically speaking, it CAN. Enough donations would build him an ultra-fast circular maglev track, so he could eat, sleep, and work on DF in a time-dilated environment. After a few years, we'd maybe get an extra line of code out of it.

Nah, we'd lose an extra line of code that way...   

From our 'stationary' reference frame, Today would be programming at a slower rate while zipping along. (See the Twin Paradox)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2010, 08:42:42 am »

Sorry, Toady. Threetoe. I hope this sort of thing doesn't weigh on you too much.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 09, 2010, 12:43:03 am »

Nah, we'd lose an extra line of code that way...   

From our 'stationary' reference frame, Today would be programming at a slower rate while zipping along. (See the Twin Paradox)

Whoops.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 09, 2010, 01:02:58 am »

I think we'd lose 50% of all code that way :D
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 09, 2010, 01:04:26 am »

Has Toady or Threetoe actually flat out said how much they want before they consider 'the beast' fed and give us our reward?
As far as I can tell it was just a silly dramatization of the situation.
Yeah, that.

as others note, money can't buy hours, but lack of money can cost hours. (And, though Toady hasn't got so much, money can buy man-hours.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:03 am »

I worry more about Toady's health than anything. I don't think he gets much exercise or eats well; his sleep schedule is fucked more often than not.

Better not die before DF is finished there, man.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2010, 06:46:58 am »

As far as I can tell it was just a silly dramatization of the situation.
Yeah, that.

as others note, money can't buy hours, but lack of money can cost hours. (And, though Toady hasn't got so much, money can buy man-hours.)
By that logic money does buy hours, but additional money does not after a certain point.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2010, 07:00:45 am »

Seems to me ThreeToe generally reports on the donation status, and Toady reports on the programming. (I know, I'm being Capt. Obvious)

My point is that what ThreeToe said was absolutely true, donations were wayyy down in February and if it continues there probably will be negative effects on the project as a whole. I didn't get the sense he was saying "this release will be delayed if you don't donate", rather it was more along the lines of "Toady will stop being able to pay for his meager* life if you don't donate."

I also think the timing of his particular statement was ill considered given the long wait and frustration among a not-so-small segment of the user base.

* I mean meager in the sense that Toady seems to live quite simply and on a rather small amount of money considering his skills and the quality and quantity of work he produces.

Now I imagine Toady living in rooms roughly carved out of stone while possessed and seizing his computer workshop.
Toady One, Programmer, starts working feverishly on a strange construction!

Computer workshop
Claimed by Toady One, Programmer.
Toady One works Feverishly!
Toady one keeps muttering "Dwarf Fortress 2010"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2010, 10:20:31 am »

Toady One keeps muttering "Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.41"

Fixed
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 09, 2010, 10:28:41 am »

Toady One keeps muttering "Dwarf Fortress 0.28.181.41"

Fixed

I hope it's at least a 0.29.1.1 build, this really shouldn't be a minor fix :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13