Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 23678 times)

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2010, 05:09:09 am »

Three Toe does a dramatic interpretation of the month's donations. So a big month sees thundering heroes soaring on mounts of thunder to a new dawn of epic awesome, while a bad month sees some sort of dramatic complication: shackles, falling on things, or syphilis.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2010, 05:17:28 am »

Well, it's not much to ask, I guess. However, though I don't know what it says in your personality profile, something tells me the line "He likes helping others" isn't there. Can't you feel good after donating money to someone who asked for it because he needs it?

Fair point :) And I admit my personally annoyance at the small comment on the announcement is an overreaction of sorts, but it's just the way I feel. This is a game I've spent more on than any other (baring a silly play by email I was clocking up stupid amounts of expenditure by the time I quit) and I feel it's worth the amount I've spent and will be worth more. As I said before I'm happy to donate if someone starts a new donation drive.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2010, 06:13:02 am »

As I said before I'm happy to donate if someone starts a new donation drive.

Why not start your own?  ;)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:16 am »

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 03, 2010, 08:41:24 am »

Nonono, that's not what happens.

The thought process is thus:
- Funding is down.
- Funding is down because there have been no releases.
- We must release soon.
- Thus, skip anything we can skip without compromising quality.

40d# definitely falls into that category; the game runs perfectly well without it, and his current codebase is 40d#-less anyway.

Personally, having been using #16 exclusively, I'd probably wait until DF'10 was updated with the 40# open gl stuff before playing. Resizable windows & zooming is just too nice. I had assumed it would be part of DF'10 release, and work would be happening right now to be integrating it, in parallel with the regular game bugfixes.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 03, 2010, 08:51:33 am »

I had assumed it would be part of DF'10 release, and work would be happening right now to be integrating it, in parallel with the regular game bugfixes.
It isn't? I'm not really interested in playing without those features.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2010, 09:18:18 am »

I had assumed it would be part of DF'10 release, and work would be happening right now to be integrating it, in parallel with the regular game bugfixes.
It isn't? I'm not really interested in playing without those features.

Oh wow. Just ignore all the new features.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2010, 09:31:08 am »

Imho releasing without 40d# changes seems reasonable to save some time, but would be nice to have them reincorporated into the DF as fast as possible after the release. These changes are very useful, or even make it possible to play for some people who couldn't play without them, so leaving DF for a long time without them would be a step back.

(...)
So you get that in late summer instead;
This is what worries me.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:32:52 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:40 am »

Well, I can't speak for toady. As far as I know, he's still planning to integrate d#.. this is just what I consider to be a likely consequence of rushing, not something that's written in stone.

There are also people who can't play using d#, you know. Though that number should be shrinking.. it's not zero.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Hazelnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:13 pm »

Well, I can't speak for toady. As far as I know, he's still planning to integrate d#.. this is just what I consider to be a likely consequence of rushing, not something that's written in stone.

There are also people who can't play using d#, you know. Though that number should be shrinking.. it's not zero.

I guess I just wanted to highlight how much I (and others I'm sure) appreciate the changes in 40# releases. Very much!

:D

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2010, 01:03:22 pm »

Well, it's not much to ask, I guess. However, though I don't know what it says in your personality profile, something tells me the line "He likes helping others" isn't there. Can't you feel good after donating money to someone who asked for it because he needs it?
If my goal was to help others, my money would be going to the Red Cross or another charity (although I did just donate to the Jimmy Fund recently). This is about feeding my gaming habit. Which is why I'm holding off on sending any money (though I have the money earmarked) until the release.

Toady's not a 501(c)3, and I don't consider any money I send to him a "donation." It's payment for services rendered. Which is great--and I'll remit for those services rendered on release.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 01:05:09 pm by Blacken »
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2010, 02:56:44 pm »

You know what's funny? That even the meager $1500 would be quite a comfortable life for a single guy living anywhere else than US. In some parts of the world, and even EU, it would make Toady almost a rich guy  :) Eg. I earn about $1000 a month which is pretty good for a young adult around here.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2010, 03:18:46 pm »

$1500 times the current exchange rate... 42700 RUR. That's more than enough for comfortable living in Russia. In fact, that's quite above middle-class.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:43 pm »

Then it is settled. We will ship Toady to Mother Russia! All will be well!
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2010, 03:46:26 pm »

In Mother Russia, Mother Russia is shipped to you!

... wait ... what?
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13