Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 23539 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 03:37:46 pm »

This is like coming upon a man fixing his wagon wheel on the roadside and saying you'd help him if only he would give you a ride somewhere in his wagon.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »

I don't think that's a very good analogy....    :-\

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 04:21:41 pm »

Yeah, wagons don't move. But you could deconstruct it, and get three logs.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:16 pm »

Seems like a mixed message to me. The devlog stuff make it clear that there are plenty of bugs that need to be fixed before the new release.

Then you hear about funds holding things back, out of the blue.

What you don't hear is the relationship between the two, the relationship that explains why $X donations = Y bugfixes/period of time.

If you're going to solicit more donations by implying that more donations will speed up the release, that is fine, but come out and say it.  Perhaps more importantly, be prepared to deliver. :P

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:38 pm »

We do get a bay 12 games report in $ amounts but those numbers mean nothing to us since we don't know what expenses are involved or whatnot. But in general I donate if a bay 12 games report lists income below $2000
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 06:18:53 pm »

It should be noted that donations were about the same in Feb. 2009.  I think it's less of an issue with the delayed release, and more of the fact that February isn't a month for casual spending.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Pathos

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 06:28:28 pm »

I think Toady should move to England. Living in England would mean he wouldn't get taxed for that extra £1500-odd a month, since it doesn't count as a steady income. AND he would still be eligible for state benefits, so he'd get a free house / flat, £70 a week and a cash fund if he ever decides to "go looking for a job". Wink wink.

And, it's EASILY possible to live as a man with his cat in England for under £20k a year.

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »

I think the OP may be shooting for constructive criticism.  Like, "Hey Toady, I bet if you released updates regularly you'd make more money and we'd get more dwarven sweetness."  But it came across like a swift kick to the nads. 

I'm cool with the huge, lengthy change if it pays off.  Hell, I'm fine either way really.  It's Toady's game, not mine.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 06:40:16 pm »

I don't mind the long wait to release, or more frequent ones. It is Toady's game. And I would donate money, if I had any to spare.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 06:43:26 pm »

It really does seem like threetoe put his foot in his mouth there.

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 07:03:24 pm »

Oh well, Zero's just passionate about the game.  I've let some serious BS fly to game publishers (sorry WoTC!) when I think they aren't doing the right thing with something I love. 

Mooncalf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »

February Donations:  $1452.57

Ouch.

Just donated 45$ to cover up my blatant lack of financial support last year...

Too bad you can't set up regular donations without a credit card.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 07:11:37 pm »

I think this whole thing is WAY out of proportion lol...I would simply say what happened is that the comment about no money was passive aggressive in nature....being passive aggressive like that coupled with no updates for such a long time I think was just a bad combo...I was a lil taken off guard by it and I think that maybe a more detailed financial report might help....no I'm not asking for a receipt for every time they go shopping but maybe a cash flow statement....x amount of $ came in this month and x amount of $ went out.....that way I spose we could see where he may stand financially.....or better yet why not have a static goal....just get a good solid reasonable goal for each month and that way people can kind of see the current status of donations...as opposed to the monthly report which only tells us what is going on after the matter.....maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but they seem like reasonable suggestions *shrugs*

P.S. $10 says someone tries to tear me apart and make me look stupid by saying "your not considering factor x or y!" within the next few posts =P

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 07:23:23 pm »

Rage rage X or Y rage dennislp3 rage!

ah now thats out of my system. ;D

Im not sure an in out flow or a fixed goal would be beneficial to this sort of project. but maybe if they broke down how much hourly pay Toady is getting from donations, But I wouldn't want to stress that. out of worry that seeing the money in that light might be really depressing.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 07:26:41 pm »

ZeroGravitas just doesn't seem to understand what Toady's actually been working on and why it's taking such a long time to gut the game, rework it, and stitch it back together.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13