Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: The funds! The funds are holding us back!  (Read 23546 times)

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The funds! The funds are holding us back!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010, 07:35:38 pm »

ThreeToe always writes with a 'poetic flair' in the monthly updates. I suspect that is all this is, a misinterpretation of his flowery writing style.

edit: Also I'd like to point out, after a quick glance at the monthly reports, I bring home approximately the same as the lowest recorded donation I could find (Nov 2008) every single month, and I live quite comfortably.
Just saying.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

I earn about 600$/month too and it's fine to support my wife and son, but I live in Russia, so I guess Tarn needs more money to survive comfortably.

By this I mean that you cannot judge how others fare by simple numbers, and you didn't have to post all this. If you don't like hearing about numbers, don't look there, ZeroGravitas.  It took me some time to find where did these words come from.

P.S. Also, I think it could be Scamps. He edited the message when Toady One didn't look. He's definitely a money-hungry cat :3.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:48:29 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:59 pm »

Also February is almost 3 days shorter than the average month, correcting for that would bring the total to roughly $1608.18 which is only a hundred less than October, a 31 day month.

Note that it's $51 a day. Buy a Toady One for only $51 a day!

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010, 07:51:50 pm »

P.S. Also, I think it could be Scamps. He edited the message when Toady One didn't look. He's definitely a money-hungry cat :3.

He needs more absorbent toys!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:14 pm »

Seriously, stop complaining.
Toady knows that such a long time between releases is a bad thing, and can possibly hurt his playerbase and income, but it was originally planned to take less than year from what I know. Who could know that it would take so long. And I don't think it could be any faster, Toady already spends all his time working on DF, and he most likely couldn't split this release into smaller releases without a LOT of additional effort (and time). He had to completely rewrite a lot stuff, like materials, bodies, raws, attributes, wounds, health care etc. which all depend on each other, so rewriting them all at once, is the fastest, the easiest and generally the best way to do that. It also saved him time with testing and bugfixing because he has do it once, instead of hunting bugs after every feature only to see that it got broken again after next feature is implemented. And we all know how much time consuming bughunting and bugfixing is. From my point of view Toady has chosen the most optimal way in terms of amount of features implemented per time. Although it may not be the best way in terms of playerbase happiness, but Toady knows that already. Yes it took very long, but the changelog is astounding and is definitely worth waiting for such a long time.
Also the current DF is awesome enough that we should all praise Toady forever, no matter what is going to happen.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:03:11 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

SirStrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2010, 09:06:54 pm »

I don't think ThreeToe really meant anything by his comment, but it did sort of come off a little...strange.

I think it was meant to be more like: "Sorry we haven't finished yet; we're a little tight for money!"

as opposed to: "You guys haven't been giving us enough money you stingy bastards!"

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »

I'm glad this thread stayed relatively civil this time but it still always creeps me out when forum-goers try to speak for people other than themselves. We all do it sometimes, I'm just calling attention to it right now :O

The best thing a loving DF player can do is donate a little bit regularly, IMO. Remember you aren't paying for the next version of DF, you're paying for the continued development of DF. That development will cease if donations cease, as mentioned earlier.

While I'm not sure this is what's going on, hear me out: you're frustrated that the new version isn't out. Rather than come to terms with that, you wish to vent that frustration on the game developer. This may work well with large companies like Blizzard because they can ignore you. With a small developer like Bay 12, ostensibly made up of 2 paid employees and a legion of loving supporters, you should be careful what you say because you are speaking directly to real people.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »

He took responsibility for the lack of donations, if he really needed money he could always find a way to sell out.
Whats more important is he has the integrity to work on his project. He is like a true artist.
Thank you based dwarf.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 09:21:33 pm »

I think it could have been phrased better, or left out completely. A simple, "If you enjoy the game please consider donating" would have went over better instead of describing it as a beast ready to pounce but oh look it can't because you didn't donate enough. Which is how it reads and why I can see people questioning it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:24:22 pm by Davion »

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 09:32:29 pm »

Toady does awesome work, and has made an awesome game. He's making sure that everything is done right, that quality doesn't get compromised. Don't worry - somewhere down the line, this game will make him very wealthy.

Meanwhile ... I just donated a few bucks =)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 09:34:29 pm »

In the end I think it is a moot point really...it happened so it happened....when it comes to people complaining and all.....I think there are some valid points being made....and I don't see anyone thinking and saying everything should stop and change this very second or anyone creating some anti DF environment lol...I also like to think that the OP of this thread is an intelligent human being...and as such is entitled to views and opinions as expressed....I don't think he was so much complaining or dissing anyone as much as he was just making a point....and while we can all equally understand why it has taken almost 1.5 years for a release I think we can all agree that is an abnormally long time between releases...besides....look at the bright side of all this...for all we know the finance reports could change cause of this....all things have there meaning...even if sometimes that meaning is just for stupid people to prove there stupidity by speaking...luckily I dont think this is the case here lol
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:38:29 pm by dennislp3 »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41:37 pm »

In the end I think it is a moot point really...it happened so it happened....when it comes to people complaining and all.....I think there are some valid points being made....and I don't see anyone thinking and saying everything should stop and change this very second or anyone creating some anti DF environment lol...I also like to think that the OP of this thread is an intelligent human being...and as such is entitled to views and opinions as expressed....I don't think he was so much complaining or dissing anyone as much as he was just making a point....and while we can all equally understand why it has taken almost 1.5 years for a release I think we can all agree that is an abnormally long time between releases...besides....look at the bright side of all this...for all we know the finance reports could change cause of this....all things have there meaning...even if sometimes that meaning is just for stupid people to prove there stupidity by speaking...luckily I dont think this is the case here lol

Your new name is captain ellipses.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 09:43:03 pm »

lol yeah every time I hit post I look at it and go "damn I talk to much" -.- and I love my periods I guess.... <==(see totally did that by reflex) so "talk to much + excessive use of ... = my typing style

P.S. Thanks for the new signature =P
Now I just need to change my name to that...or fix my d....it is lower case....idk how the hell that happened ¬.¬
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:50:00 pm by dennislp3 »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2010, 09:52:58 pm »

I love my periods I guess...
Ho ho ho.
Sigged.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:28 pm »

When I first read it, I also thought Threetoe was saying that funds were holding back the release, which seemed odd.

I'm under the impression that if Toady was running short on funds, he could make a statement to that affect on the devlog and funds would come pouring in.

But I just chalked it up to Threetoe having a flair for the dramatic.

Which makes me think a direct plea on the devlog would be much more effective for bringing in funds.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13