Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What the hell is this?  (Read 65091 times)

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
What the hell is this?
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »

I've been lurking for a year and I've never been able to figure out what Armok 1 is.

What the hell am I supposed to do? I've heard the jokingly "Walk around and kill trees" line, but surely there's more? Can you build things? Find villages? If not can you mod them/create them?

Just what exactly CAN I do in this game?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 11:41:29 pm »

What the hell am I supposed to do? I've heard the jokingly "Walk around and kill trees" line, but surely there's more?
Actually, there isn't.  It's a dead project that really never went anywhere. If you want to try it, you can still get it here, but calling it a game is a bit of a stretch.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 03:41:30 pm »

You can teleport people's liver out of their bodies and then make a shirt out of its blood-vessels, if I recall correctly. That's reason enough to try it at least once ;D
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 03:43:14 pm »

So there are other people in the game? Explain please.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »

Try the summon monster/humanoid spells. The interface for selecting an area, etc. is obtuse but useable once you get the hang of it. Other than that you can find critters just wandering around if you look for long enough.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Arucard

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:38:38 am »

Yeah, I played it for maybe ten or fifteen minutes and killed a rabbit. I was so excited! Then another feral rabbit came up and utterly destroyed me. :( But reading the description it sounded like an incredibly ambitous project, though I think most of that idea evolved into DF so it was a necessary sacrifice.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:34:47 am »

I think that what happened was that Toady put too much effort too early into the in-depth neat ideas, so the code didn't have very much structure, and adding anything was incredibly hard. Some of the features are starting to appear in DF, so I can assume that more will eventually. However, DF has a good structure, so it would be easier to work with...
Eh?
Eh!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 01:28:06 pm »

Huh. Turns out turning your own skull to bismuth doesn't do anything, but turning your spine into bismuth puts you on the ground permanently. I tried teleporting my spine out and regrowing it, but it didn't work.

Slaves to Armok: NOT really the place for amateur self-surgeons with a teleport spell. :P

This game should be remade and finished.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 02:51:34 am »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:24:50 am »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:41 am »

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:58:25 am »

This seems the best place for this toady quote...  :P
The original game's name was just a joke about players and violent video games and god games and so on that doesn't have any real content, and it carried over to DF to let the fans that had been following me since 2000 about my overall intent with the new game that made the first Armok die.

If you mull that over for a while, you connect that slaves to armok was just like the burnt flapjack you made before you learned how to not cook flapjacks the first time around.
While Slaves to Armok II:Dwarf Fortress:Histories of____and____ is the flapjack you deside to eat.

There made from the same batter but, they just, are cooked differently.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:30:01 am »

Or building an office tower starting with the windows and fake plants, and some sparse bits of structure on the upper levels, with only the elevator and a single crane to support it...

DF started with the framework, so did not collapse on itself, but will still eventually reaach the point that Armok 1 was at, and then surpass it because DF was built better.
Eh?
Eh!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »

I heard that this is basically what DF is, but was too bogged down in graphics, so Toady started working on the engine first.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:03:19 am »

Huh. Turns out turning your own skull to bismuth doesn't do anything, but turning your spine into bismuth puts you on the ground permanently. I tried teleporting my spine out and regrowing it, but it didn't work.

Slaves to Armok: NOT really the place for amateur self-surgeons with a teleport spell. :P

This game should be remade and finished.
Slight necromancy, but this actually works.. you just have to click that boot icon and reset your walking stance. At least when I pulled it out and forced it to regrow, that worked.

Then I accidentally did the same to an eye and bled out before it could regrow.  :-X
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: [1] 2