Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Reports  (Read 1658 times)

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Reports
« on: March 02, 2010, 06:58:38 am »

Just a brief write up...
How about the ability to export data aside from the map?
Fortress stats, population list (with skills and assignments), announcement logs, etc.
Besides being able to provide extra information that the game probably has but doesn't show (how many goblets you've made), you could load your population into a spreadsheet and sort people quickly to see who has what skill or labor.
The announcements thing was an idea I had long ago based on some ideas other people had. It would give bored Perl scripters a chance to try and automate a story out of it, even better if the logs were more detailed than the regular announcements (starts of romances, etc.). (Who's going to write up StarRavingMad's Al Swearagin style from Boatmurdered as a filter...)
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Dwarf Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 07:23:39 am »

Just a brief write up...
How about the ability to export data aside from the map?
Fortress stats, population list (with skills and assignments), announcement logs, etc.
Besides being able to provide extra information that the game probably has but doesn't show (how many goblets you've made), you could load your population into a spreadsheet and sort people quickly to see who has what skill or labor.
The announcements thing was an idea I had long ago based on some ideas other people had. It would give bored Perl scripters a chance to try and automate a story out of it, even better if the logs were more detailed than the regular announcements (starts of romances, etc.). (Who's going to write up StarRavingMad's Al Swearagin style from Boatmurdered as a filter...)

I think you can do most of that with Dwarf Therapist tool.

I would like to see some imporovements in logs thou.  Like ability to view log messages specific for one dwarf (from his profile screen for example), ability to see profile screen for dead dwarves, ability to see detailed logs for one dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:11:49 am »

Indeed, I currently copy various details across to a spreadsheet, which I could save time not doing if it was automated.

(From memory, I store: Name, gender, arrival date (immigration/birth), birth date (if known), 'toddling' date (if known), maturation date (if known), date of death (when known), listed profession, intended profession*, other profession notes*, Military Status (i.e. training point)*, Military intentions*, S/A/T values, each and every skill value, whether each haulage task is set (couldn't be bothered to do those nominally related to the skills), relatives ("relationship: profession/status"...), pets (just numbers and types), Stone preference, Metal preference, gem preference, [insert all the other occasional preferences**], the series of personality traits***

* Freestyle, so not something that could be exported.
** I've still to establish if some items occupy the same 'slot' as other items, but have established some sort of order.  I bet the Wiki has all the information I need, but I've been sort of doing this on my own
*** Currently excluding the changeable alcohol-related item, but including the field I call "PTSD" regarding witnessing death and eventually "does not really care any more".

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:20:20 am »

Oh yeah, and I have a column for mood*, but as I only generally go through a dwarf's characteristics when something notifiable happens (birth, death, marriage, mood**-struck, noted change of profession, S/A/T-upping, etc.) this is terribly out of date.

If I did use something Dwarf Therapist-like, of course, I would probably save a lot of time, I appreciate. :)

* Craft-mood
** Attitude-mood