Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change key to bypass large text messages  (Read 736 times)

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Change key to bypass large text messages
« on: November 02, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

Currently the spacebar is used to skip past text "cutscenes," such as the dialogs when the broker meets with the outpost liason. I would prefer that a different key was used, because it is all too easy to try to pause/unpause and accidentally skip this screen. I know the interface is not very high priority but this seems trivial to implement.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Change key to bypass large text messages
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 06:28:00 pm »

F9 is used for some other screens.  How about that?  Pretty hard to hit F9 except by accident.

You can also find it without looking by moving your right pinky onto the right side of the backspace key, then moving your four fingers up until you hit the top F-key row, then tapping the button beneath your index (pointer) finger.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

MessyBlob

• Escaped Lunatic
  • geek/developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 07:46:14 pm »

There's a fairly easy and foolproof answer to this one: When a 'cut scene' message is shown, have DF ignore the SPACE keypress within 2 seconds of the screen appearing. If SPACE is pressed a second time within those 2 seconds, then it will be effective. After 2 seconds, SPACE works normally.

Background: I managed to skip a trade message in my first game, and didn't know what was happening - or thought I'd missed something important, so think it's a good idea to safeguard against this accidental dismissal of cut scenes.

More Background: Aggressive Windows programs also suffer this problem: pop-up dialogs and bring-to-front apps can do anything on your behalf if they appear while you're typing!

(newbie)

Soulbourne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 10:35:19 pm »

>.>

I don't suppose that the key binding listing through the escape menu allows this changed?  While not the best fix of default value, if it's up there would be easiest way to change.