Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beak dogs  (Read 4815 times)

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beak dogs
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:15:39 am »

I know the "What the f*** are these things supposed to be anyway" issue was more-or-less resolved (with input from Toady, no less) but I came across this passage while reading and instantly thought "OH SO THAT'S WHERE HE GOT THEM".

Quote from: Michael Moorcock
They were in sight- racing through the rain. A man frantically spurring an equally frightened horse- and behind him, the distance decreasing, a pack of what at first appeared to be dogs. But these were not dogs- they were half-dog and half-bird, with the lean, shaggy bodies and legs of dogs but possessing birdlike talons in place of paws and savagely curved beaks which snapped where muzzles should have been.

- "While The Gods Laugh"

Disappointingly simple, I know, but remarkably well-suited to the name, Toady's description of them as having talons like Velociraptors, and to being ridden by small greenskins.

Feel free to discuss beak dog-related shenanigans if you don't care.
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Lurking Grue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beak dogs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »

The first (and last) time I saw them in game was on my second ever fortress, My reaction was "Pfffft Beak...? Dogs...? what next Owl Bears?" and sent my commander out with his 2 wardogs thinking he would get rid of them easily... 30+ dead dorfs later the tantruming survivors were locked in the basements of the fort drinking vomit and eating the last of the kittens till they went away.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »

The guy's name is Moorcock? Poor bastard... ::)

Judging from that description, they're similar to wingless hippogriffs, which look like a cross between birds and horses and fly.

There's no hippogriffs in DF, is there? Might be time to get some modding on.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 12:55:27 pm »

Judging from that description, they're similar to wingless hippogriffs, which look like a cross between birds and horses and fly.

This is always what I figured beakdogs to be. Essentially just a wingless griffin like creature. They're not all that large either if you compare their body size to that of a dwarf, but in large numbers they can be dangerous.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:08:30 pm »

The last time I had to deal with with beak dogs, I sent a small squad of three axe dwarves out to slaughter a massive pack. Somehow one managed to sneak its way up to my booze stockpile and proceeded to drink all but one barrel of booze, I went from something like 800 units down to ~20 in just a few seconds! D:
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »

I know the "What the f*** are these things supposed to be anyway" issue was more-or-less resolved (with input from Toady, no less) but I came across this passage while reading and instantly thought "OH SO THAT'S WHERE HE GOT THEM".

Disappointingly simple, I know, but remarkably well-suited to the name, Toady's description of them as having talons like Velociraptors, and to being ridden by small greenskins.

Feel free to discuss beak dog-related shenanigans if you don't care.

Here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »

Wow, I almost choked on my drink because I was laughing so hard.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:26:23 pm »

That description doesn't say whether they are bipedal or quadrupedal. If they are bipedal, the description matches one of those 'Terror Birds' like Diatryma and others that lived in South America many millions of years ago.

Otherwise the quadrupedal does sound like a hippogriff, or maybe griffon.

Also, cute pic K4el, and really silly :)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 09:50:50 pm »

The first (and last) time I saw them in game was on my second ever fortress, My reaction was "Pfffft Beak...? Dogs...? what next Owl Bears?" and sent my commander out with his 2 wardogs thinking he would get rid of them easily... 30+ dead dorfs later the tantruming survivors were locked in the basements of the fort drinking vomit and eating the last of the kittens till they went away.
Never encountered wild beak dogs, but goblin squad mounted on them is kinda same in terms of strength as non-mounted - my squad of axedorfs eliminates it in mere seconds w/out casualties.

Only creature which had described by you effect is giant toad. "Oh, just a toad? Guys, go punch it to death". For some reason, these beasts enjoy tearing limbs from bodies, leaving cripples instead of corpses.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 10:13:55 pm »

Wow, I almost choked on my drink because I was laughing so hard.

damn.... almost had him.... next time... next time...

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 10:19:56 pm »

I remember looking at the raws and seeing a hint of a bipedal build. But it was a long time ago so I can't remember what led me to that conclusion, sorry.

I recall reading somewhere that Toady was inspired by Shriekers of Tremors series. Another has thrown out that it is a Velociraptor.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 12:21:19 am »

I guess they are Toadys version of Wargs, another orc mount.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 12:28:51 am »

Hmm, at that mention of the tremors series, I would really enjoy seeing tunnelling monsters if it were possible. Urist McTender cancels Run Like Hell: Nommed.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 01:15:37 am »

The original inspirations were, as far as I remember, those things from tremors 2 and for riding, yeah, the labyrinth things, though we didn't get the beaks from that, and the original cautionsaurus.  Velociprators weren't an inspiration -- I think that just came up in that thread and I was trying to describe it in those terms.  Our crayon pictures of them devolved pretty far away from that though, and they end up looking kind of like wingless featherless versions of my brother's lovebirds.  I don't think they have little arms any more.

Here's what the Labyrinth ones look like:

6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands