Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The True Dwarven Insanity  (Read 18633 times)

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The True Dwarven Insanity
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 02:57:33 am »

Of course you did.
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 06:34:10 am »

That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 09:10:22 am »

I don't want it to seem like our only job as their unseen commanders is to torture them. Even when providing for them the dorfs have got to wonder and be quite scared of the idea of a nigh-omnipotent figure telling them what to do.

I say "nigh-omnipotent" cause I still can't get them to not lemming rush the doors when ever one of them dies outside to some force waiting to kill them all. A true god shouldn't have to lock the doors.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:00:01 pm by Fien »
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 11:45:55 am »

Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Sigged

I've been sigged!? My life is complete.

...And now it is incomplete again. I should work on that magma bomb I've been planning.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 12:07:09 pm »

The way I see it, the dwarfs live so drunk they don't really care. For some reason, your mason just "Get's the feeling" to build a wall in the spot you designated, and he's got nothin' better to do. So he does it. And when he see's his friend run out into the middle of the Ballista fire to go grab that -pig tail sock-. They head on over to the Legendary dining room, grabs some booze, and sit's there in disbelief at the platinum statues, and the masterwork engravings of delicious Dwarven cheese, and forget's all his troubles. Then he get's another feelin' and goes back to finish that wall.

That said,i play a pretty benevolent deity. I so far haven't made any real mega-projects, though. So there's been little reason to sacrifice my people. However, Recently I've been playing with small population forts (25-35) so a lost dwarf is a pretty big deal.

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

Honestly, I tend to percieve the problem as simply something wrong with the way that "happiness" is labeled. 

Consider it something like a "Suicide" meter or a "Sanity" meter, and it makes a little more sense.

For example, Urist's children were just eaten by a ravenous skeletal monstrosity from the briney deep!  His sanity takes a hit!  He wonders how anything good or worthwhile can be achieved in a world where what is most precious to him can be snatched away at any moment without warning, and what point there is in living in a tiny cave apartment, hiding like rats in a hole, if that hole isn't even safe... but then he has a REALLY strong drink that blasts those worries away, and stares up at the statue of Nil McHammerlord, who single-handedly slew 27 orcs ten years ago, before dying from a tantrum spiral, and remembers that, while life is transient, the accomplishments of the dwarves will forever be recorded in the stones.  Then he smells miasma, the stench of death bringing back the memories of his parents being eaten by elves right before his eyes before he immigrated to your fortress, and finally snaps.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 02:33:27 pm »

I wholeheartedly agree with this interpretation. The whole reason dwarves [NEED_BOOZE] is that they know the truth deep down. They drink to forget that they are puppets.

That being said, I come to DF after a long history of playing games to create empires or raise creatures, so I tend to be extremely protective and benevolent as far as Armok's incarnations go. Not terribly in character, I suppose.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

leclere

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 03:29:23 pm »

I like my retarded dwarves too.  I always feel bad when they die.  Kind of.  I like trying to keep them well-fed and drunk, considering their inevitable fate.  I gotta do more statues.  I always forget to do those.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 07:23:14 pm »

I like to wait for legendary masons before churning out the statues, just to make sure the subject matter is done justice.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 02:07:16 am »

I like this description. It's Dorfy and Fun at the same time!  :D
I always look after my dwarves. They get good food, drink, defense, beds, tables, structures, and stuff. Of course, sometimes there might be sacrifices, but only for a good reason and not past what people historically did. For example, if someone likes elven retreats (I know, it's hideous, but...), they might be sacrificed to the orcish hordes.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 12:21:58 pm »

I don't want it to seem like our only job as their unseen commanders is to torture them. Even when providing for them the dorfs have got to wonder and be quite scared of the idea of a nigh-omnipotent figure telling them what to do.

I say "nigh-omnipotent" cause I still can't them to not lemming rush the doors when ever one of them dies outside to some force waiting to kill them all. A true god shouldn't have to lock the doors.

Tried setting "Forbid own death items" in the orders menu? Might want to Forbid corpses too. No door locking required. Also adequately clothing them helps, they're rushing out to claim the now free clothing since their own is probably in tatters.

Don't blame your dwarves for your own failings.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 03:17:30 pm »

Hnn... so that's why I don't have the MUST HAVE SOCKS...
these dwarves... are not unlike me with their need for good socks...
It makes sense why I treat them well and make sure they have enough clothing now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:04 pm »

Pfft, the True Dwarven Insanity is people actually questioning Cog for murdering Urist to make his snazzy new loincloth.

Some Dwarves just aren't right in the head.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »

I swear, I am going to build a time machine and punch Lovecraft the moment he's born.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 04:22:08 pm »

I swear, I am going to build a time machine and punch Lovecraft the moment he's born.
Considering what kind of a man he was...I wouldn't mind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4