Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: The True Dwarven Insanity  (Read 18645 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: The True Dwarven Insanity
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 04:59:02 pm »

I put a great deal of effort into protecting these dolts and keeping them happy. It's not my fault they're so stupid.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 06:25:01 pm »

I swear, I am going to build a time machine and punch Lovecraft the moment he's born.
Considering what kind of a man he was...I wouldn't mind.
There is no time paradox here.  That is supposed to happen, leading up to now.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 10:53:13 pm »

I swear, I am going to build a time machine and punch Lovecraft the moment he's born.
Considering what kind of a man he was...I wouldn't mind.
There is no time paradox here.  That is supposed to happen, leading up to now.
NO! NO! NIKOV! DON'T DO--

Eh, forget it. If it weren't for Mr. Legendary Lovecrafter, we wouldn't have stuff to base demons off of in this game.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 01:56:43 am »

Eh, forget it. If it weren't for Mr. Legendary Lovecrafter, we wouldn't have stuff to base demons off of in this game.

Not necessarily.  It could come from stuff like this.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 09:02:05 am »

We seem to be pretty evenly split along the lines of benevolent overseer/sadistic overlord.

What this makes us, as players, gentlemen, is a physical manifestation of different aspects of the dwarven psyche. We reflect the desires, whether concious or not, of our dwarves just as they make our will manifest in their world.

In my personal case my dwarves are intensely patriotic and violently...VIOLENTLY anti-noble, coupled with a general attitude of "FUCK YOU! WE'RE DWARVES!" The only reason Dustsabres tolerates elves, for example, is because their summer wood imports save my dwarves the trouble of going outside to cut down trees and expose themselves to potential ambushes. Humans and other Dwarves are fine because they don't bitch about trees and bring me useful stuff. As for nobles, the only ones my dwarves deal with are mayors as they are elected from among the community and have proven their usefulness and the dungeon master who's skills with training megabeasts and metalworking have proven very useful. Other nobles are invited to the nobles only lever room and can argue their usefulness to 3 tons of falling rock.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 09:17:52 pm »

Other nobles are invited to the nobles only lever room and can argue their usefulness to 3 tons of falling rock.
And then, one day, one of them succeeds. The stone retreats back to the ceiling, and the legendary debater walks out unharmed and ready to mandate you bowing before him.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Labhras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 09:59:53 pm »

Simply put, dwarves = bearded lemming midgets. How would you treat bearded lemming midgets in real life?

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 10:58:19 pm »

I fight like a ravenous beast to make those unbelievable simpletons have a safe liveable home free of pain and death and misery, and they repay my efforts with ignoring my orders. Doing nothing, and making every effort to get themselves killed.

They even do a fine job of torturing each other as well. In Balded Bears, the wounded go unattended for long periods of time. Even the military. Their PROTECTORS. But that's okay to them, its more important to party down in the statue garden.

In my second/latest project, which I want to share with everyone and see if they can make it an actual working fortress, known as MorningDaggers. It is this same Dwarf stupidity and refusal to obey orders that is turning that place into a pure Dwarf graveyard. Thus far, it has claimed the lives of 427 Dwarve's. IE every Dwarf who has ever tried to live there.

I'm not an evil god, I've only willingly sacrificed those Dwarve's who cannot be saved from their own insanity for the good of those other lunkheads. And the ones from when I first started playing. But that doesn't count. I didn't know how to play then.

But if you ask me, all the Dwarves everywhere are naturally stupid over insane.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2010, 12:20:38 am »

Like a Lovecraftian character they often are drive stark raving mad by this revelation and proceed on a number of different paths.

Interesting to think of this as an honest-to-goodness game mechanic.  You know how adventurers are treated in the Legends, "Guided by unknown forces" right?  It would be interesting, once diplomacy and more capable NPCs were in place, if you could play your adventurer or fortress to try to avoid the tell-tale signs that you're a "guided by unknown forces".  Imagine trying to play your adventurer in a way that he was normal, lest the villagers think he was "one of them" and they try to burn you to death in your sleep.  Or if your outpost liaison came to your fort and noticed that, unlike the orderly and normal fortresses, yours consists of two-square bunks for your workers and focuses on building a giant statue of a one-armed dragon.  If Toady wanted to keep it in line with the rest of the game, there would have to be enough examples of what "one of them" acted like or how a fortress might look if it was "controlled by unknown forces".  And, naturally, some people would happily welcome such an occurance, just like those mad cultists yelling "'Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fhtagn!" 
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2010, 12:52:25 am »

Bay12 is the only place where there's constant Lovecraft/Cthulhu references
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]