Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The True Dwarven Insanity  (Read 18643 times)

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
The True Dwarven Insanity
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:59:50 am »

It's an accepted fact that dorfs are beard-hair away from mental retardation and pretty much lemmings. On occasion (i.e. damn near all the time) they go crazy.

I submit that this is not because of them suddenly snapping and losing what little self-control they once had, but rather them awakening from their idiocy and ignorance and getting a glimpse of the world around them like some character in a Lovecraftian story. The realize that their world is run by a omniscient god figure who is, at best, ambivalent to them, and at worst,  utterly sadistic (most likely the latter if we're gonna be at all honest here). Everything is trying (or at least able) to kill them or bring them suffering and there is little they can do to stop it. Like a Lovecraftian character they often are drive stark raving mad by this revelation and proceed on a number of different paths.

1. They claim a workshop and demand materials to build some grand object to either appease this God or deny it's power over them.

2. They become horribly depressed and eventually stop trying to sustain themselves or actively seek the sweet release or death.

3. They begin trying to kill any other dorf they can find to release them from the torment they've yet to realize they live in.

Thus dwarven insanity is not the last of their mind unraveling....it's the pieces falling horribly into place.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:37:20 am by Fien »
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Re: The True Dwarven Insanity
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:15:13 am »

Is this in any way related to dwarves being ecstatic after watching their baby get it's arms ripped off by a giant eagle?
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:25 am »

Is this in any way related to dwarves being ecstatic after watching their baby get it's arms ripped off by a giant eagle?

Well it might have just been a REALLY nice eagle and they were happy to just see it and....hey where did that kid's arms go?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:28:51 am by Fien »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:45:16 am »

After reading this thread I pledge that in my next fortress the dwarves will have their needs looked after, they will all be ecstatic, employed and wealthy enough to own large, expensive rooms with at least one blue Fun stuff item of their preference in it.

They will have access to clean well water and every from of food and drink, new clean silk clothes and warm leather or thread cloaks, hats and mittens. Pets will be plentiful for all who want them (although I might draw a line at cats for fps reasons) and parties will never be stopped forcibly.

They will learn there is at least one benevolent god figure looking out for them. I'll have to somehow balance this with my orc-modded zero point embark policy but I will succeed.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 05:53:06 am »

I'm actually incredibly benevolent.  ALL of my dwarves get a 3x3 room at least with a bed, chest, and cabinet.  There is high quality booze a plenty and dwarven sugar roasts abound.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 06:04:47 am »

In regards to Shades and Gergination; have you truly never sacrificed dwarves for reasons even the enlightened could not comprehend? Have none of you seen a dorf starving, thirsty, and trapped by minions of evil and done nothing? Has no harm befallen your bearded idiots for the pure enjoyment of their god?

Also it's not like this awakening is elevating their comprehension of us that much. They're still insane. Try and look at this from the perspective of someone who can't even understand something like fire. We hold our intelligence as standard when it is beyond their ability to even imagine. (at least until toady figures out the workings of the mind and codes it into the game)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:17:23 am »

I can honestly say that I've never sacrificed a dwarf simply for the lulz.

I'm too busy trying to build mega projects the likes of which cannot be imagined...and then learning about the new version and giving up to wait for it.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:24:19 am »

I'm too busy trying to build mega projects the likes of which cannot be imagined...and then learning about the new version and giving up to wait for it.

Huh.....guess I'm just an evil, sadistic, chaotic god.

I still like think that insanity is, more often than not, the dorfs realizing how fucked up their life is. Also it should be reiterated that it's not simply our roles in their world that drive them to insanity but their own insignificance in it. A dorf can very simply be replaced and the world will little notice his passing. Those that seek to direct their energies into their work may overcome this feeling, but it would never truly disappear.

Exceptions exist to everything and you appear to be one of them in this case so good for you for having a soul.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:46:54 am by Fien »

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:46:59 am »

Huh.....guess I'm just an evil, sadistic, chaotic god.

Exceptions exist to everything and you appear to be one of them in this case.

I still like think that insanity is, more often than not, the dorfs realizing how fucked up their life is. Also it should be reiterated that it's not simply our roles in their world that drive them to insanity but their own insignificance in it. A dorf can very simply be replaced and the world will little notice his passing. Those that seek to direct their energies into their work may overcome this feeling, but it would never truly disappear.

Anyway, good for you for having a soul.

I would certainly notice the passing of my legendary armor/weapon smith.  Those dwarves don't just pop outta holes you know.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 06:55:18 am »

I would certainly notice the passing of my legendary armor/weapon smith.  Those dwarves don't just pop outta holes you know.

Like a deity losing his prophet another would be chose to take his place. Only in his absence is he noticed beyond be given a task to accomplish. This is not to say that no bearded fool can become worthy of his god's favor, but that this is reserved for those beyond that of a simple dwarf.

Also, what kind of dwarf doesn't come out of a hole?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:58:37 am by Fien »

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 07:08:20 am »

I don't sacrifice... Civilians. The Parasite demands their service. (Yes, I actually think of it as a big hand grabbing things and dragging them about.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:15:02 am »

I don't sacrifice... Civilians. The Parasite demands their service. (Yes, I actually think of it as a big hand grabbing things and dragging them about.

And thus you are the deity with an purpose that the masses can neither fully know nor refuse. The dorfs are means to an end and for them to realize this would be shattering.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:33 am »

Lies.  What dorf would not willingly wade into magma so that their brothers and sisters may live in a cast obsidian spire?  What beardless coward would stand before the citizens of HelmedCrafts and say "we have dug exactly deep enough and should stop"

Dwarvenly dwarfs know whats important and care for little else.  Children are optional, booze and dining rooms and turtles are not. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 11:58:20 am »

hey it's not my fault that he decide to go swimming in the Carp river... and i didn't order them to dodge into magma... how does that fit into all this?
Back to Mafia with me!

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 05:05:21 pm »

Ask yourself this:

Would dwarves prefer to be lead by other dwarves than us?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4