Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The True Dwarven Insanity  (Read 18634 times)

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: The True Dwarven Insanity
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:43 pm »

Ask yourself this:

Would dwarves prefer to be lead by other dwarves than us?
lol sigged

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 06:43:47 pm »

Toady is the one true dwarfgod.  All of us are demiurge at best and devil at worst.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »

In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 12:14:38 am »

I don't think dwarven insanity is brought about by realization of their place in the universe, but by the quiet.

As the dwarves sit in their workshop, daydreaming of the grandeur they will achieve once their opus is complete, they think.  And they realize.  Their father was killed in a cave-in.  Their mother died in a goblin ambush while chasing a sock - a petty sock!  They lost a brother to starvation in some forgotten hellhole on the reaches of dwarven civilization, and for years now, they have ignored the deaths of their friends and family, pain, suffering...  and for what?

A really spiffy dining room.

And as they realize all that they have sacrificed for their truly trivial gains, and that this is not just theirs, but the sacrifice of their entire civilization, all for the sake of a nice place to eat lunch, that is when they go insane.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 01:48:48 am »

This tragedy could have been avoided .. if only the dining room had been designated as the meeting area, he would have taken his thinking in there! and he would have been dist- oh! pretty dining room!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 07:50:24 am »

I guess I just thought a bit too much of my dorfs and myself. Still fun to think of how they would react when they realize what sort of a world they live in but that doesn't matter much I guess. I'm still going to think of my dorfs in this way simply for the Fun of it....if nothing else. Nothing quite like being an unknowable force, is there?

And I hope you don't mind Mad Engineer, but that little quote is too good for me to pass up.

In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 08:01:21 am »

Well, I'm fairly benevolent compared to a lot of players. I actually like making clothes for my dwarves and keeping them in good condition with regards to food/drink/safety. A fancy dining room isn't enough, you know. I also like fancy tombs / bedrooms / statue gardens (if applicable).
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:21 am »

After reading this thread I pledge that in my next fortress the dwarves will have their needs looked after, they will all be ecstatic, employed and wealthy enough to own large, expensive rooms with at least one blue Fun stuff item of their preference in it.

They will have access to clean well water and every from of food and drink, new clean silk clothes and warm leather or thread cloaks, hats and mittens. Pets will be plentiful for all who want them (although I might draw a line at cats for fps reasons) and parties will never be stopped forcibly.

They will learn there is at least one benevolent god figure looking out for them.

Um you just described every fort I've run. Although I haven't had clownite yet my current fort has it somewhere just waiting for discovery but I wouldn't waste it on making furniture if/when I find it (started fort in evil surroundings with "other features" specifically to play with the clowns before the new version changes things). I do turn off the economy in my games now since it's so annoyingly broken.
I'm actually trying to think of ways I can make the place even more pleasant for them before I go hunting for the clownite. Was considering making a mist generator over the entrance to my to outdoor statue garden/zoo so they're even happier when they go to parties & get clean in the process.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 03:54:37 pm »

I always sacrifice a few dwarfs whilst constructing a megaproject.
I do this to make Armok bless my project and guide all the dwarves working on it, through horribly safely.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2010, 08:55:26 pm »

I am one of the few who actually cares for the dwarves. The way I see it, I'm their protector, not their torturer. I try to keep crime at a minimum, make sure everyone has work, has decent rooms, wide variety of food and drink, I don't want them to die. Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 09:19:57 pm »

I am one of the few who actually cares for the dwarves. The way I see it, I'm their protector, not their torturer. I try to keep crime at a minimum, make sure everyone has work, has decent rooms, wide variety of food and drink, I don't want them to die. Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

I used to think that of myself, as well.  I would do my damndest to make the place wealthy, spit-polished and smoothed (I even engraved my clothing factories, just because so many dwarves spend time there, and I engraved the drink warehouses, so they could view something nice while drinking), everyone had nice furniture and beds. 

Then they go out of their way to kill themselves in an attempt to spite me in my attempts to keep them healthy, happy, and safe.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 10:45:40 pm »

Dwarves are insane by default, if you ask me.  They live in entirely empty and devoid-of-all-facilities Mountainhomes for ages before moving into guaranteed deathtraps we call fortresses, will not stop to think before sacrificing their lives by immuring themselves on outcroppings, consider the loss of a loved one to be the perfect karmic opposite of eating in a really fancy dining hall, and see nothing odd about the fact that they're essentially following the orders of some invisible entity to perform all manner of strange tasks in the middle of nowhere.  It makes me wonder if there's something hallucinogenic in plump helmets.

That said, I try to make their miserable little lives in their self-constructed loony bins at least tolerable.  Even if that does mean frequently having to forbid everything outside the compound walls to keep them from charging down the caravan road towards the nearest pair of narrow giant cave spider silk trousers every time a siege or ambush hits.  It's for their own good, and there's plenty of more important things for them to do indoors anyway.
Sanity is for the weak.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 01:05:47 am »

Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Sigged
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 02:31:15 am »

We've had, what, four or five quotes sigged so far in a two page thread? This thread is one of those Dwarven Scripture pages, isn't it?

"For Armok hungered such for the world that He gave His fiery blood, so that whosoever should drink of it should no- OH GOD MAGMA IT BURNS"
~The Gospel of Our Lord Cacame According to Urist, 3:16
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 02:44:04 am »

"For Armok hungered such for the world that He gave His fiery blood, so that whosoever should drink of it should no- OH GOD MAGMA IT BURNS"
~The Gospel of Our Lord Cacame According to Urist, 3:16

Sigged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4