Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Phssthpok's high-res symbolic tileset  (Read 5236 times)

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Phssthpok's high-res symbolic tileset
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:31:19 am »

I felt that most existing pixel art tilesets looked too busy at high resolution, so I made this one that focuses on readable text, simple shaded shapes, and plenty of negative space. It uses RantingRodent's Raws and the transparency features in 40d16 or newer.

Sample Fortress

Concept Art

32x32
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

24x24

16x16

Let me know what you think. I'm happy to make improvements.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:28:03 am by Phssthpok »

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Phssthpok's high-res abstract tileset
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:18 am »

Very nice!  I don't have much free time today, but I should have enough between classes to startup DF and check this out.  I don't usually like bigger tile sets, but this one looks so much nicer when it's bigger, so I'll likely stick with the 24x24 one, and let you know if I notice anything weird, thanks!
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:23:34 pm »

When I read abstract in the title, I was honestly expecting some cubist style tileset.  I don't know whether I'm disappointed or relieved.... regardless, nice tiles!
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 05:40:29 pm »

When I read abstract in the title, I was honestly expecting some cubist style tileset.  I don't know whether I'm disappointed or relieved.... regardless, nice tiles!

Nah, I just mean using symbols for objects rather than depictions of those objects or random accented letters. After I went a year without playing the game, I found it hard to remember which accented-letter symbols were which, so I went about compiling the simplest shapes for obvious objects and unifying their style as much as I could.

Sometimes it's not obvious whether adding detail would make something more clear or not. I would probably add art for the crossbow and the waterskin if I could find a model similar enough to the original glyph.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:23:01 am »

I like these, I am using them from now on. (24x24)

Thanks for putting in the effort!
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 10:15:39 pm »

I really like it! thanks!
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 02:07:14 am »

I can't seem to install it, it makes most of the icons invisible if i change it to bmp :(

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 03:07:42 am »

I can't seem to install it, it makes most of the icons invisible if i change it to bmp :(

Most of the details of this tileset are in the transparency anti-aliasing, so it won't look good converted to BMP. You need a version of DF that supports PNG, such as 40d19.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:09:12 am »

ah, ty for explaining
;)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »

Weird. I'm having trouble using it with d18; it doesn't show all the characters all that nicely, though higher resolutions show them slightly cleaner than the lower resolutions...

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:00 am »

Weird. I'm having trouble using it with d18; it doesn't show all the characters all that nicely, though higher resolutions show them slightly cleaner than the lower resolutions...

I've mostly been using d18 and have seen some artifacts between black pixels and background pixels, even when they are both supposed to be black. Usually it resolves itself after zooming in and out with the mousewheel. Is that what you mean?

Phssthpok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phssthpok's high-res symbolic tileset
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 12:42:42 am »

I have made some updates and updated the OP. You may need to press shift-reload to see it.

• Widened the glyphs for f, J, j, r, t, !, (, ), thorn, Ü, levers, delta, phi, fractions, Pts, forest retreat, integrals, flowers, bird. Should be more readable from a distance now.
  • Used smoother shading on the barrel and outlined it to avoid confusion in selection and adventure mode.
  • Added details to the crossbow, waterskin, rotated gammas, double arrows.
  • Removed some details from the corkscrew, blurry dot, stockpile.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Phssthpok's high-res symbolic tileset
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 06:12:06 am »

These are sexy.
That is all.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.