Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Having tested both 2D and STANDARD, how is 40d19 compared to 40d?

Faster, no (unknown) problems
Faster, problematic
Same speed, no (unknown) problems
Same speed, problematic
Slower, no other (unknown) problems
Slower, problematic
Doesn't work at all

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34

Author Topic: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19  (Read 158988 times)

mtsr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FotF: Dwarf Fortress 40d19
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:54 am »

Urm :|

Your joking right?

Honestly if there are those kinds of errors, i think we should find someone a little more competent to code the sdl/opengl part. Why the hell your even using opengl i dont know. Only need SDL. No reason to have opengl honestly.

Not that we dont appreciate your work, but with bugs like that, you clearly dont have much of a understand of sdl/opengl to be working on this. Im sure theres plenty more qualified people to be working on a better gfx engine.

Be nice to see someone else step up who has done this before :)
You're welcome to try. Go right ahead, the code is public.

You may find that it's harder than you think to write robust code when a lot of the code is locked in and unchangeable. Or to make zooming fast if not using opengl. Or working around the myriad bugs in opengl implementations without having access to the hardware in question yourself.

But by all means, try. I'd be *overjoyed* if someone competent would help.

Edited for typos....

All toady needs to do is learn how to draw stuff with sdl, learn input from the keyboard mouse, and setup music and hes done, nothing more needs be done. Its not drawing that much complex stuff?

I fail to see the problem.... :|

Unless you are actualy *doing* something about this, you should probably stfu. These are easily the rudest posts I have read on a forum in years.

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:34 am »

Well mtsr, you just summed everything :D
I don't see why he has to call someone incompetent when i don't think Baughns being paid...No ones forcing him to use Baughns work.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25:54 am »

Windows vista 64bit
Radeon 4870 1GB

STANDARD:105
PARTIAL 1:120
ACCUM_BUFFER:119
FRAME_BUFFER:120
VBO:115

SHADER: FAILED
Errlog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 09:31:41 am »

Edited for typos....

All toady needs to do is learn how to draw stuff with sdl, learn input from the keyboard mouse, and setup music and hes done, nothing more needs be done. Its not drawing that much complex stuff?

I fail to see the problem.... :|

The problem is you're talking about how easy it is, and not doing anything.  Once you've made your bug-free SDL version, feel free to explain how easy it was.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 09:40:52 am »

Way to go Moon.....You just insulted every coder here INCLUDING Toady.....wtf....Perhaps you haven't seen what Toady can do with coding? ever played a game called Dwarf Fortress? I'm sure with a project of this scope there is a myriad of other more serious issues then the graphics coding right now being in the alpha stage and all (and working fairly good at that with just 40d).

I am hoping to God that you did not mean what you said in a disrespectful and rude manner...which would mean you really need to think before you speak...otherwise....your an ass who likes to talk shit and not do anything

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 09:47:06 am »

Code: [Select]
data/shader.vs shader compilation log (61):
Vertex shader was successfully compiled to run on hardware.
but it still fails to run.
Well, that's an "error: operation succeeded" type failure. I'd assumed that if it did succeed, there would be no compilation log at all.. in retrospect, apparently not the best idea.

Easy to fix, I'll get such a fix in d19-head soonishly.
EDIT: - Yeah, fixed.

Next up: Use generic attributes instead of the (deprecated) glVertexPointer call, to let a single shader work on both ati and nvidia.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:58:34 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2010, 09:49:04 am »

Baughn, I recall you asked me to look into valgrind to get some results. Course I think I should point out, that my knowledge on Terminal is rather......limited. Plus I'm unsure how valgrind exactly works. So...is there like a "Valgrind for dummies guide"  out there for the less programmer savvy?
I've made a hackintosh of my own since then, which I'm going to try it on. If that doesn't uncover any obvious problems, I'll give you instructions later. ;)

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2010, 09:51:54 am »

I managed to get the shader mode to work on my system (Ubuntu Linux with GeForce 8500 GT). It looks like my card doesn't support "version 140", but it does support "version 130" with "GL_EXT_gpu_shader4". After I changed 140 to 130 and enabled that extension it almost worked.
It seems I still needed to modify the source code though, since it doesn't support constant arrays  :-\. Anyway, here's the source for the changes that worked for me:

It's probably okay to leave the shaders as they are (since they can be easily adjusted), but it might be better to change the 'const vec4' array to a 'vec4' array for better compatibility.

I also noticed that Baughn didn't include my patch for text mode shift arrow keys :'(.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2010, 10:00:21 am »

Missed the post, I think.. or forgot...

Shift-left/up/down/right are defined in terminfo, so I'm going to do that properly in a bit. Thanks for the thought, though. :)

Spinal232

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2010, 10:13:18 am »

Hey, I tried to run it with shader but I'm getting an error for some reason.

Running Windows XP with a Pentium 4 and 8800 GT

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31:22 am »

Ok, this is had less things working than the last one for me.

Partial behaves oddly in the intro movies, and needs at least 3 behind it to work right, unlike d18.

Accum buffer doesnt work at all, it flickers between previous frames madly.

Shader fails, despite dx10 support on my ATI HD 4890.

The rest still works fine, 2D works with the right colors and without horrible slowdowns now.

I also noticed a bug with the lever linkage menu, it changes view a selection too late. key_hold_ms still doesnt do anything, key_repeat_ms behaves as in 40d.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2010, 10:37:19 am »

Summary:

The two buffer methods have improved from 40d18 and VBO no longer crashes.  The other two 3D methods that were working for me in 40d18 are the same or worse. 

All four 3D methods that worked for me in 40d18 now have wider fluctuations in FPS.  The two buffer methods in 40d19 are at times faster than no partial print in 40d.  Otherwise they are roughly the same or slower, depending on what that middle number means in the FPS display.

Fortress: Icywaters

40d
PARTIAL_PRINT:NO => 20 - 23 FPS

40d18
STANDARD => 18 FPS
PARTIAL:2 => 19 - 22 FPS
ACCUM_BUFFER => 16 - 18 FPS
FRAME_BUFFER => 18 - 19 FPS
VBO => crash on running

40d19
STANDARD => 17 - 19 FPS middle number same
PARTIAL:2 => 15 - 21 FPS middle number same
ACCUM_BUFFER => 23 - 28 FPS middle number 19 - 20
FRAME_BUFFER => 21 - 28 FPS middle number 19 - 20
VBO => 23 - 28 FPS middle number 19 - 20
SHADER => "Shader compilation failed; details in errorlog.txt" (maybe I don't have the required GPU?)

[WINDOWEDX:960]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:Tileset_unknown_960x300_02.bmp]

WIN XP SP3
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+, resolution 1024 x 768
Pentium 4 3.80GHz
2.00GB Ram

Other notes: 

I second, or third, or whatever, the comment that the FPS meter's new position is awkward.  That was also true in 40d18, but I did not comment on it since no one else did.  I'm not sure what was wrong with the old position on the left-hand side.

This version ends with a CTD if it does not find a necessary raw.  It gives the program's error message with the name of the missing item, but then instead of exiting gracefully afterward, it gives the system error with the offer to report to Microsoft.  40d18 did not do this, by my admittedly vague recollection.

Edit: corrected that comparision used NO partial print for 40d
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:41:38 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Meteorswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 10:43:34 am »

Is there a way to change the size of the terminal output?  I have way larger than an 80x24 terminal (170x44 on my little laptop) and I'd like to use it.  Changing the windowed size didn't do it.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 11:10:45 am »

I also noticed a bug with the lever linkage menu, it changes view a selection too late.

Happens since 40d17. Already reported here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=49617

Hopefully Baughn reads DF Bug Reports section, because from what I have seen, it contains quite a few bugs that are only specific to 40dX versions.

The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2010, 11:11:14 am »

It should just do that automatically. Try a "killall -HUP dwarfort.exe"; that may do it.

Well, I think I know how to deal with ATI cards now, thanks to the logs (and shadow_slicer). You'll note that it not working on such is in "known bugs".. it'll be fine later.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34