Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Let's Get On With It - Liberal Crime Squad: A Let's Play Adventure (COMPLETED)  (Read 107877 times)

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile

Original Post

Hello there, Liberal Comrades. I'm new to the forum, but that's not stopping me from diving in and posting this thread. Inspired by my recent satisfaction with Liberal Crime Squad - which stems from finding an old version on my computer last week and doing some research to acquire a newer edition - I've decided to create a hybrid monologue covering my journey through the LCS world. I'm new to this whole "creating screenshots and videos of gaming for the internet" business, but I hope positives will shine through my inexperience.

Now, I will be presenting both screenshots and videos for this LP. The screenshots will be accompanied by journal entries from the viewpoint of the founder of the Liberal Crime Squad. They will chronicle his attempt to save America from a backwoods yet corporate ARCH-CONSERVATIVE NIGHTMARE. However, I will not be doing any role-playing in the videos; you will, if you choose to listen to them, hear my inane commentary while I play and enjoy LCS. Hopefully, one of these methods will be intriguing to you folks - if neither of them are appealing, then I'll just decommission the thread entirely, call it a failed experiment, and go back to playing on my own.

At any rate, the first three segments are already complete, and I'll be uploading them throughout the morning. Updates, providing anyone actually cares to see more, will be conducted on a "whenever I'm available" basis. Right now, my schedule looks fairly clear, but the RNG of Life may decide to throw me a curveball.

Hope you folks enjoy.

What you will see in this playthrough:
  • Classic, Nightmare Mode
  • Terminator Founder Update 015
  • Heavy, sometimes even gratuitous amounts of violence
  • Gambling with the Random Number God
  • Excessive pressing of the "F" key while on-site
  • Grimith putting an AK-47 in his pocket without the Conservatives getting alarmed Update 015
  • Sleepers who lay fallow for years
  • Dead Conservatives
  • Imperfection
  • The Liberal Agenda slowly being advanced from the Arch-Conservative Nightmare

What you will not see in this playthrough:
  • The Conservative Crime (read: Lame) Squad
  • Seduced Conservatives or Liberals
  • Conservatives Kidnapped and Enlightened through seduction
  • Hippies, guitars, music, and art in the Liberal Crime Squad
  • The pacifistic way to beat this game
  • Monetary crises
  • The Liberal Guardian put to use
  • Compound traps purchased for protection Update 018
  • Perfection
  • Jonathan S. Fox playing the game (go here for that)

Update 001: POSTED 03/05/10
Update 002: POSTED 03/05/10
Update 003: POSTED 03/05/10
Update 004: POSTED 03/06/10
Update 005: POSTED 03/06/10
Update 006: POSTED 03/11/10
Update 007: POSTED 03/11/10
Update 008: POSTED 03/11/10
Update 009: POSTED 03/12/10 Contains Liberal language and an overly boisterous voice. Viewer discretion advised.
Update 010: POSTED 03/12/10
Update 011: POSTED 03/13/10
Update 012: POSTED 03/13/10 After I uploaded the third copy, the first two uploads published onto my profile. Guess Dailymotion just had a hiccup of service.
Update 013: POSTED 03/14/10 Special Unlucky Edition!
Update 014: POSTED 03/17/10 Here is the post devoted to the videos for this update.
Update 015: POSTED 03/20/10 Two videos and mega-narrative. Serious Business.
Update 016: POSTED 03/20/10 Takes you to the same message as #15. Trust me: I typed the code.
Update 017: POSTED 03/22/10
Update 018: POSTED 03/25/10 Three videos. Lots of screenshots. Awesome.
Update 019: POSTED 03/25/10 Same as above. Check for yourself.
Update 020: POSTED 03/25/10 Same as above, which means same as #18. You may see this as artificially raising my update count. If you do, I agree wholeheartedly with you.
Update 021: POSTED 03/29/10 Another trio. Even more screenshots. Special appearance by Epic Rock Opera! You don't want to miss it.
Update 022: POSTED 03/29/10 Above update, only not!
Update 023: POSTED 03/29/10 Same as the previous two updates, yet different!
Update 024-030: POSTED 04/05/10
Update 031-036: POSTED 04/19/10
Update 037-042: POSTED 04/26/10
Update 043-061: POSTED 05/01/10 AND 12/25/10 Merry Grimnas, everyone.

YouTube Video Playlist (Dailymotion Alternative)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 07:51:13 pm by Grimith »

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Get On With It - Liberal Crime Squad: A Let's Play Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 05:54:52 am »

Update 001: Video

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:24:07 pm by Grimith »

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 06:59:15 am »

Update 002: Video

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:24:21 pm by Grimith »

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 07:51:40 am »

Update 003: Video

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:24:54 pm by Grimith »

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 01:10:37 pm »

...nearly hit me with a SMG. Seriously, where had he been hiding that? I shouldn't have been surprised, yet I found myself momentarily flummoxed. The gun laws were so lax that any citizen in his right mind could carry such weaponry, even in such a peaceful place as the park, and unleash it at the slightest hint of need. Clearly, the jogger would be claiming self-defence in this one.

That's a 9mm semiauto, a PISTOL, not an SMG. The only SMG is the MP5.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »

Got no excuse for that mistake. I should know better. Thanks for the correction.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:22:49 pm »

Wow, violent.

Good luck with the deathsquads!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 01:01:09 am »

Love it. I really like watching people play the game, and I enjoy your video commentary. I will very eagerly watch if you continue to post them!

A couple notes:
- All melee attacks are immune to accidentally hitting bystanders
- The link for video 3 actually leads to video 2, but I was able to find the correct video through the sidebar links

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 02:04:09 am »

praguepride: No joke. I wouldn't dare to go into rampage mode like this without a founder who could actually flee from them. And that's still no guarantee. In an earlier game, despite a high agility (which I figure is what determines the capability to flee; it makes sense to me, although I'd like to know if I'm wrong), two of the officers managed to catch up to me and very thoroughly murdered my leader. But I like this style of play because it's exciting. I never had much fun with leading squads of guitar-wielders against the Conservative Automatons (other than the initial hilarity of performing such a task).

Jonathan S. Fox: Immunity? Awesome. Now I won't have to risk a turn with the Wait command so the bystanders can flee. As for the video link: dur-hur on my part. I figure my mind was swimming in screenshots and BB code, and I failed to post the correct link.

I'm grateful for the feedback. As I noted, I started this thread to illustrate my preferred style of play - which I only think is worthy doing for an enjoyable game like Liberal Crime Squad. I don't like that many Ironman games (since I'm a perfectionist and whine constantly at the RNG when things don't go my way), but LCS has a charm which makes the mistakes worth living through.

Even if my founder's face gets blasted off.

Anyway: The fourth update will be posted in a few minutes, and I figure I'll have the fifth update up in about another hour. Recording's the easy part; it's the compiling of screenshots and proofreading to avoid more mistakes which is the most time-consuming. Likely for the best, anyway - I'd spend too much time playing the game otherwise.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 02:08:48 am »

Update 004: Video

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:25:08 pm by Grimith »

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 03:05:30 am »

Update 005: Video

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 04:25:21 pm by Grimith »

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 06:11:31 am »

You might as well just set your sleepers to promote liberalism, since effectiveness doesn't go up in the current version.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 08:10:17 pm »

Effectiveness does go up in this version, I swear I've seen it!

Also, I love your mutant army. I guess I never noticed how awesome mutants were for soldiers with their obscene double digit heart/agility/health/charisma (sometimes).... wow!

You could easily turn them into a guitar squad with such high charisma & heart, and then with those stats for agility and health to let them laugh at bullets, well...this picture sums it up:

You could Rock into Mordor (translation, Outskirts buildings)
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:17:25 pm »

jasonred79: 4.01.4 keeps track of the effectiveness numbers rising each month, and one of the bullet points for the immediately previous version has sleepers who lay low listed as being able to very slowly gain infiltration. Now, that could just be the game lying to me, but none of my sleepers have ever been caught and/or arrested when they were at 100% effectiveness. The RNG may just love me, but I highly doubt I could maintain such consistent luck, month after month, with folks who had originally started with 16% effectivness - like a young teenager-turned-political activist I had stationed at the CEO House. He really couldn't aid my cause the way I wanted him to for several game years.

In the event all of that is coincidence, however, I'm too set in my play style regarding sleepers to start using them before they're listed as having very high infiltration. It's not like I really need their help, anyway.

praguepride: To be honest, I didn't know how obscene the mutant stat numbers could get until I started this playthrough. I'm thinking some of their stats, particularly their charisma (if they're actually mutated in some form or another) shouldn't be that high at all, but I won't complain with the results. They definitely make up for my Transient who has the soul-crushing 1 Agility/Strength.

Everyone: I've finished recording the videos for the next three updates for the playthrough; as a matter-of-fact, all three of them have already been uploaded to my Dailymotion account, and you can watch them individually or through the playlist I created. I don't have the screenshot updates ready to present, however, due to fatigue on my part. Barring calamity, those updates will be available some time tomorrow, but I wanted to allow the folks who are interested in the videos the opportunity to watch them now. If you liked the first five, then you should find these equally - if not moreso enjoyable, particularly in the eighth video when I really start making mental errors. Definitely not an expert playthrough.

jasonred79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:20 pm »

oh wow! I didn't realise that! The whole infiltration thing has been changed so many times, I wasn't sure what the rules for this version was. Thanks.

BTW, in video 7, your sleeper is repairing the clothes *on his back*! Yeah, basically, all LCS members, if not assigned a job, will automatically start to do laundry, clean their clothes that they are wearing, repair them, etc etc. So, it's not a bug, it's because it's rare that sleepers have dirty broken clothing. Because you usually kidnap them in pristine condition anyhow.

BTW, in video 6, why did you break off the dates? Just press E and kidnap them? I mean, you tried kidnapping, too dangerous, so ask them on dates and... then kidnap? Why not?

I'm hoping you actually continue this until you finish the game. So far, there hasn't been a Let's Play of LCS which ends in the country being liberalised. You should be the first!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:37:41 am by jasonred79 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15