Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginners Succession Game  (Read 33990 times)

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Succession Game
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 11:26:28 am »

Hmmm, I took into account the noise issue. I didn't know that it went between z-levels. Oh well, I will keep that in mind next time then.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:56:28 am by Set_Beadra »
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 02:06:32 pm »

Going good. You have a magma smelter and such yet?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

I had built a magma smelter during my turn. Three of them actually. No anvils though to make magma furnace so those will have to be obtained via trading. I just captured a titan on my other save. I thought the dungeon master made you able to tame these things >_< Apparently not.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:56:31 am by Set_Beadra »

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 06:47:59 pm »

I'd be more than happy to join this succession game!  I finished just my first fortress capable of surviving multiple sieges, so I think I qualify for a beginner (it survived the sieges, but not the titan...)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 06:51:23 pm by Trigonous »
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 06:58:49 pm »

Alright. =)

1. Set (Completed)
2. DarkChasm(Possible) <---Current, waiting for next update from him.
3. Jetsquirrel
4. Quinnr
5. Banana
6. Caz
7. Trigonous

Your icon hurts my eyes >_< Or just the fact I can't stop staring at it. heh heh....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:56:49 am by Set_Beadra »

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 09:49:59 pm »

So while we wait. How about a few helpful tips on how to use pumps =D I'm going to try and build my first pump system to make a waterfall in the middle of my meeting hall for my dwarfs to be happy about.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8208-ringedburns
This is my current map there's still a lot of work I have to do and I'm still getting cancel spammed by a permanently unconscious cripple if you read the face palm topic in the forum I have a screen shot there.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:57:15 am by Set_Beadra »

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 10:04:40 pm »

I just finished a fairly large project to pump magma into my forge-room, as the pipe was very far away and I needed it pressurized to go the distance.  The mistake I made was making the power source (a water-wheel plant) next to my fortress, and not closer to the pump.  I ended up needing five water-wheels to power a single pump, because of all the horizontal axles I needed.  So: make sure the power source is close to the pumps.

I also recommend building some sort of structure over your power source so those pesky building destroyers can't get to it.  I have a simple box over the river where the water wheels are (access is through a tunnel underground).
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 10:16:28 pm »

I don't have any idea where to begin. I have never done any pumping before and reading the description on the wiki is making my brain hurt. I have the water source already indoors with room to place a pump next to it but how do I get the water up 3 z-levels to have it flow down that hole?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:58:11 am by Set_Beadra »

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 10:25:32 pm »

It sounds like a self-contained system.  I've never done this (I've only ever built the one magma pump), but you should be able to use a water-wheel to power your pump that uses the water being pumped as power.  Simple start it manually, and once it's flowing the wheel will take over.

Now, to get it up three z-levels, you'll need a stack of pumps.  They transfer power between themselves (if they're sitting right next to/on top of eachother) without the need for axles or gear assemblies, so you only need to connect one pump to your water wheel.  See pumping up multiple levels on the wiki for a schematic.  In that picture, the first pump sits with the water one z-level below it and in front of it, and the second pump sits in opposite orientation on top of it.  Now, for the water wheel, it needs to be suspended over the water.  That means you have to build it last, as you need an axle or gear assembly to support it.

Code: [Select]
~~:::::
~X:::::
~X=====
~X:::::
~~:::::

~ being water
X the water wheel
= the axle
::: the ground

To change the direction of an axle, use a gear assembly.  To transfer power to the pump, the axle needs to be connected to the section next to the water source (where a dwarf would stand if you powered it manually).

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 12:26:57 am »

I've never worked with power, except one attempt that flooded the world.

and lagged the world.

My pumps for fishing ponds are all dwarf powered.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 am »

I did have one previous pump experience (draining a river to dam it) that I did (unsuccessfully) without power.  Some things you just need to power though, since they're going to be permanent and in constant use.

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 01:32:19 am »

OKAY! After much todo I have managed to make the stacked pumps finally and am just now going to start it hopefully. Take a look at the pump stack I have and how the water is going to flow at the top to make a waterfall through my meeting hall.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8212-ringedburns

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:58:39 am by Set_Beadra »

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 01:35:08 am »

Looks like it should work (and you didn't even need any axles/gears!).

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 01:55:43 am »

Okay.... I can't figure out how to start it now... It's not starting when I tell a dwarf to start it manually it just changes it back to telling me to start it. I thought it could be started with a lever but I don't see an option on the lever for it.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 01:56:47 am »

Make sure your dwarves have the "Pump Operator" labor turned on.  They'll stand on it an turn the screw by hand.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28