Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death With a Smile (A.K.A. "Nature's 'Orc Mod'") + Worldgen & Location for tests  (Read 5034 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Well, I finally took some time to mess around with the raws, and decided "Why not? Let's see just how hardcore this combo beast really is.", and decided to make the Carippo as a species. I have yet to embarked on a map with them, so I don't have results yet, however, if I looked over the raws well enough, this species is an ulcer or cancer to all living creatures to ever exist.

Think of this creature as the Orc Mod equivalent for nature.

And as a refresher, here's the picture of the beast in high resolution (which is also my current avatar for the time being):

Spoiler: Death with a Smile (click to show/hide)
Don't let it's dopey smile fool ya. It's out for blood.

Raws file:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:CARIPPO]
    [NAME:carippo:carippos:carippo]
    [TILE:171][COLOR:3:0:1]
    [LARGE_ROAMING]
    [AMPHIBIOUS][UNDERSWIM]
    [MODVALUE:4]
    [GENPOWER:3]
    [PREFSTRING:strange appearance]
    [IVORY]
    [DIURNAL]
    [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
    [CLUSTER_NUMBER:4:8]
    [BENIGN][MEANDERER][NATURAL][PET][TRAINABLE]
    [PETVALUE:550]
    [BODY:QUADRUPED:SIDE_FINS:DORSAL_FIN:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
    [SIZE:11]
    [MAXAGE:30:45]
    [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
    [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTOKEN:TAIL:slap:slaps:1:3:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
    [CHILD:4][CHILDNAME:carippo calf:carippo calves]
    [FAT:9]
    [BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
    [BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_BRACKISHWATER]
    [BIOME:RIVER_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
    [BIOME:RIVER_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
    [BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
    [BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_BRACKISHWATER]
    [BIOME:LAKE_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
    [BIOME:LAKE_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
    [STANDARD_FLESH]
    [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
    [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:3000]
    [MUNDANE]

Quote from: Details (or translation of the Raw)
Aesthetics: Looks like a Hollywood-esque Lego-bological crossbreed of a Carp and a Hippo (Picture included)

ASCII Symbol: ½ (for being ½ Carp and ½ Hippo)
Graphic Tile: Nothing yet, volunteers are welcome to engrave one. (With a graphic tileset (like Mayday), it appears as an empty blue square)

Other Details: Being a combination of a hardcore fish and an amphibious titan, this creature is much quicker in the water than your average hippo, credits to the fins for added maneuverability. It menaces with the best qualities of both creatures, with minor compensation in few traits in order to balance out the genetics of the beast.

These creatures are sneaky, being able to hide under the currents of the water. Just when you think it's safe to tread the waters, these things can come out of nowhere and go after you; but unlike carp, land is not a boundary. As if their jowls aren't deadly enough, with the extra large fin that's included, they can incapacitate you with their fin slapping you out, before goring you with their mouth. Oh yeah, and due to the improved metabolism of these unique creatures, they take less time (-1) to mature into adults; comparatively to regular hippos.

Being a successful crossbreed, in order to compensate for the improved form to maximize it's predatory ability, it is only slightly smaller than your average hippo, and also has a shorter lifespan to compensate for a shared biology. It's even more lean than hippo are usually with the added parts and movement. Oddly enough, however, these creatures are better stealth hunters, and come in slightly lower numbers than regular hippo, making them a school you'd want to be absent for.

So, for the time being, I'm trying to get an embark location where there are some of these fellas hanging around I found a location perfect for researching these things within their habitat. So far, I have no data collected yet as to just how menacing they really are. However, I am collecting research notes (see bottom of post), based on my experience with these creatures, as well as others' experiences and experiments with them. As far as I know, they're still a prototype; but I hope they're a 1-shot masterpiece (meaning, I don't need to improve them one bit. First-born/generation absolute perfection.).

I decided that as a reward for the efforts of catching these things, you can make them pets and also train them as war animals. A very awesome defense, even underwater; and I suspect, one of the best hunting creatures you'd want in store. Definite game breakers if you can successfully snatch one. Oh, and due to just how much more difficult they are to obtain and such, their value is also increased rather significantly (MODVALUE:+1 and PETVALUE:+150).

Feel free to add comments or improvements and other tips.

EDIT:
Be happy I didn't include [BUILDING_DESTROYER], otherwise, they'll truly be unstoppable.

EDIT EDIT:
Found the perfect location to test this mod in. My lab is located here:
Spoiler: Teaser (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Location (7x7) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Worldgen (click to show/hide)

Research Notes:
(Version- 0.1.0)
Report 1: Natural Encounter (Also introduces us to our research core team)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:26:29 pm by Itnetlolor »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Death With a Smile (A.K.A. "Nature's 'Orc Mod'")
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 02:45:37 pm »

You, sir, are a horrible, unfeeling monster that all that is right and good in this world should be dedicated to snuffing out for the sake of all living things.

Never change.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 05:45:35 pm »

Unstoppable, you say?

[CREATURE:CARPIPPOGONELEPHAGLEBOLD]
   [NAME:carpippogonelephaglebold:carpippogonelephaglebolds:carpippogonelephagleboldian]
   [TILE:'C'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [LOCKPICKER][GENPOWER:2][DRAGONFIREBREATH]
   [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN][liKES_FIGHTING][EVIL]
   [FIREIMMUNE][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][FLIER][NOEXERT]
   [CANOPENDOORS][NOFEAR][BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
   [PREFSTRING:ability to kill without remorse]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:3TOES:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:20]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:5:15:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:3:10:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:5][BABY:1]
   [FAT:10]
   [EQUIPS]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:500]
   [PERSONALITY:FRIENDLINESS:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:TRUST:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:COOPERATION:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:0:0]
   [PERSONALITY:ANGER:100:100:100]

I'm thinking Giant Hippos for their mounts. Say, size 30.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:10:50 pm »

what ever happened to that picture of the demon carpelephant thing that was kicking around the forum?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:15:05 pm »

Anyone manage to find any of either ones?

How is it? I had to be called into work so I was cut short on my  research time.

EDIT:
I noticed a small bug as far as Mike Mayday graphics go. They're just blue empty blocks.

Fortunately, I found the perfect fun zone to mess around in. More details if I can find the worldgen for it. See OP for details.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:00:00 am by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Brief intro to the core team of researchers and genetic engineers:
We just know they're here. And we know their professions.

Here they are:
Ingiz, Miner/field engineer (Leader of the project)
Deduk, Carpenter/field engineer
Sodel (M), Mason/field engineer
Rith, Metalsmith/equipment manager
Ast, Craftsdwarf/recruit/combat tester
Tulon, Farmer/breeder
Sodel (S), Siege Engineer/recruit/combat tester

Carippo Version: 0.1.0

Report 1: Natural Encounter

Subject: Aggression
Progress: Partially Completed (a problem with the process interfered, lab was lost. Rebuild will be done tomorrow.)

Notes:
  1- Subjects have dispersed upon sending a recruit into their general direction. Doubts have been made in regards to just how terrifying these creatures are.

1a- Sodel (S) went towards aggressively with no intention to harass them initially. No aggression was noted; in fact the complete opposite was noted. Upon triggering harassment, he charged for what remained, but got distracted by some Tigerfish and promptly got torn apart. He'll be okay tomorrow, he just needs to recollect himself.

1b- Ast went around the red pool and shouted at Sodel to get his act together, and went after a lone carippo that was in range. My Armok, those things are fast. They almost outran him. However, upon being cornered next to a force field of sorts, Ast finally got ready to wrangle the beast. In what one would call 2 frames, Ast was pulverized.

After using their remains as fertilizer, they should regrow immediately for future tests.

Tests will continue. I ask for other experiments in order to gain more info as to how comparatively terrifying this beast is compared to carp and hippo. Having never encountered hippo before in a regular game, I have nothing to compare with in that regard. However, I do have experience with carp.

Additional Notes:
The laboratory/Fortress is being established, as well as secure links to the other parts of land at least.

EDIT:
Before I could get the season finished, the game inexplicably quit. Lost the lab. It looked pretty cool too. :(

Oh yeah, feel free to run you own experiments and send me info in regards to helping me improve upon this monster. I'm looking for anyone with experience with hippos; both carp and hippo preferably. If my creation needs improvement, I'll be sure to do something about it. As for the graphic tile, like stated, if you're willing to volunteer in making one, be my guest.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:16:09 am by Itnetlolor »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 04:39:59 am »

what ever happened to that picture of the demon carpelephant thing that was kicking around the forum?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think, I'll just leave this here... an old sketch of mine, the carpelfefant

But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

You gave them the [BENIGN] tag, I'm pretty sure that makes them near-pacifistic (like groundhogs, etc).  Try removing that, see what happens.

You could also give it [LARGE_PREDATOR] to make it more aggressive versus [LARGE_ROAMING].  This should produce a more satisfyingly bloodthirsty horror.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID

Well, I pretty much blended both creature raws into one. And it actually turns out the hippo has benign listed among the traits.

EDIT:
Okay, I'm taking another crack at designing the lab.

Short Description:
It's going to be a rather simple setup within the cliffside. As I work on it, I'm just keeping it exclusively the core team (IE- No migrants and no invasions). It'll take advantage of the location to house the dwarven scientists in both an aesthetically and functionally pleasing fortress.

I'll add various labs as research progresses. Plus, I'm minimizing inflow of migrants and invaders until my team is ready to test with them.

UPDATE:
Got more of the lab re-established. A little bit of remodeling to more functional and attractive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:40:03 pm by Itnetlolor »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:14:37 am »

thanks . I couldn't find it for the life of me.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile

Man, totally watching.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Add vermin hunter it makes it adopt dwarves, but it doesn't make them tame so they go and see out their "owner" and brutally attack them.
The great game of Warlocks!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You gave them the [BENIGN] tag, I'm pretty sure that makes them near-pacifistic (like groundhogs, etc). 
Sigh. Why won't this belief die? [BENIGN], [SAVAGE], [GOOD] and [EVIL] have no effect on the creature's behaviour. They're more like Biome tags.

You could also give it [LARGE_PREDATOR] to make it more aggressive versus [LARGE_ROAMING].  This should produce a more satisfyingly bloodthirsty horror.
They're not mutually exclusive - in fact I believe you'll need both. And probably [liKES_FIGHTING] and [NOFEAR] as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that most predatory animals don't have a large enough VIEWRANGE to spot dwarves, so you might want to big that up too.

Add vermin hunter it makes it adopt dwarves, but it doesn't make them tame so they go and see out their "owner" and brutally attack them.

Yeah!