Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 244018 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 07:50:15 am »

The biggest potential I see is if a person has two computers, one being a laptop.

Let's say you have Uber-Powerful Desktop at your home, but you want to play Dwarf Fortress on the go, maybe on your laptop. By using this, you could consume the processing power of your Uber-Powerful Desktop, and be able to play Dwarf Fortress on your not so massive laptop.

Or something like that.

- Kayla

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:08:42 am »

Yes! Someone has finally done this. Not only can you do what Kayla said, you can play df on your cell phone, psp, ds, or anything with telnet.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:45:56 am »

Once the new version comes out so I start playing DF again, I will deficiently use this to play on my phone. This is great!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:16 am »

Have you thought about integrating with dgamelaunch?

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:54 am »

Have you thought about integrating with dgamelaunch?

It came to my mind that the Linux version is similiar to dgl and that my plans are dangerously close to reinventing dgl. However, I do no see a reason to do the hard work and somehow integrate with dgamelaunch as of now.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 11:27:42 am »

Am right in assuming this would be awesome for Succession Games? You'd need a reliable host, of course.

Running "living" worlds in general too, but only one player can play at once (I assume) and eventually some griefer decides to extinct the elves...

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 12:24:49 pm »

Am right in assuming this would be awesome for Succession Games? You'd need a reliable host, of course.

Running "living" worlds in general too, but only one player can play at once (I assume) and eventually some griefer decides to extinct the elves...

Hopefully if it is a living world, they allow some method of playing as other races just to defeat that.

Remember, in DF, http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EverythingTryingToKillYou

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 04:51:00 pm »

Still fails to show the game, with any memory setting. I am going to try disabling UAC to see if that helps, because running as administrator did not.

Windows7 64-bit
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Fooj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 04:55:42 pm »

So can you port this to portable devices like the iPhone, or will it just be for laptops? This sounds really cool.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 06:04:19 pm »

Still fails to show the game, with any memory setting. I am going to try disabling UAC to see if that helps, because running as administrator did not.

Windows7 64-bit

I've uploaded the new 0.1.1 version that has some more methods to get memory reading working correctly. None of my test computers had Windows 7 and none of them were 64-bit, but I think those shouldn't matter. Upgrade DF to 40d19.2, then try it first without configuration with the new dfterm version, and if memory searching fails (black screen/crash), copy memoryconf_40d19.2.txt to dwarf_fortress_term_conf.txt.

If that doesn't work either, then I might throw a little tantrum. But don't worry, I have no military skills.

So can you port this to portable devices like the iPhone, or will it just be for laptops? This sounds really cool.

Any device with a terminal, telnet and UTF-8 support will work. I'm 99.99% sure iPhone has such software.

fxfighter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 06:47:29 pm »

Windows7 64-bit

I've uploaded the new 0.1.1 version that has some more methods to get memory reading working correctly. None of my test computers had Windows 7 and none of them were 64-bit, but I think those shouldn't matter. Upgrade DF to 40d19.2, then try it first without configuration with the new dfterm version, and if memory searching fails (black screen/crash), copy memoryconf_40d19.2.txt to dwarf_fortress_term_conf.txt.

If that doesn't work either, then I might throw a little tantrum. But don't worry, I have no military skills

That worked for me on Windows 7 x64.

Very nice work!

Seems to work fine with mayday tileset on the host too. Would it be possible to implement tileset display for the terminal connections? (First thing that came to mind was some sort of font set that could be used by the terminal client perhaps?)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:03:47 pm by fxfighter »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 07:01:26 pm »

I think if anyone was watching me play they'd just tell me to stop being so OCD about designations and get on with it already. But this is still pretty awesome. If anyone ever starts maintaining a dedicated server or something I would for sure watch some people play.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 02:00:53 am »

Seems to work fine with mayday tileset on the host too. Would it be possible to implement tileset display for the terminal connections? (First thing that came to mind was some sort of font set that could be used by the terminal client perhaps?)

Sure, you can use any terminal client that supports custom fonts and make a custom font with some graphics. There would be some restrictions, such as every character can only be of one color. Most likely a specialized client (or a very good "normal" terminal client) would be needed for true tileset support, and I'm not personally very interested in researching that approach yet.

fxfighter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 02:44:29 am »

Sure, you can use any terminal client that supports custom fonts and make a custom font with some graphics. There would be some restrictions, such as every character can only be of one color. Most likely a specialized client (or a very good "normal" terminal client) would be needed for true tileset support, and I'm not personally very interested in researching that approach yet.

I agree, I would think that could possibly be considered as a "far? future" goal perhaps. What you've done with this so far seems to work very well and smoothly!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 07:34:06 am »

Hmm, there shuld really be a list with recommended client apps for various OS, with links to download.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46