Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 243868 times)

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:37 am »

Oh holy shit is is amazing. Someone else come play around with it with me. It's awfully lonely.

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 03:47:51 am »

Hmm, I'm not very good with technical stuff and this looks a little complicated, I think I'll put off setting this up for myself.

Lapsus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 05:19:49 pm »

Well, it's easy as can be to set up on windows, but I'm having a hell of a time finding all the right libraries and such to get it to compile on linux.

If I do eventually get it to work on linux, I'll have to see how it compares speed-wise to the windows version.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 11:36:17 pm »

If I set up a server, how can I allow someone to connect remotely (e.g. from a separate network)? As in what PuTTY settings would the person I am trying to remotely connect need? What settings do I need to alter on dfterm? Thanks
Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 02:43:59 am »

Almost almost got it working on ubuntu. The only thing missing was the dwarves =P

I could see everything else fine though.

UPDATE: For some reason I could only see the dwarves when I changed the font to the recommended. But it was fine then =P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:57:07 am by Anticipation »
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 03:32:28 am »

When I log in I get "Terminal too small (80x25/100x30)", but I can see everything (going by the screenshots). Using the settings listed in the first post, except the font is at 10pt.

Speaking of fonts... anyone know of some software that'll let me quickly make a font file for a tileset? Similar to how cooz made one of a 16x16 tileset? Tried using fontcreator, ended up at a loss as to what to do.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 03:38:29 am »

Yes! Someone has finally done this. Not only can you do what Kayla said, you can play df on your cell phone, psp, ds, or anything with telnet.
You have a telnet client for DS?

Also, for "Terminal too small", the first size is your terminal size and the second is the required size.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 03:48:14 am »

If anybody has a supercomputer they are not using I would be interested in playing DF on it.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

fxfighter

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 03:53:33 am »

Speaking of fonts... anyone know of some software that'll let me quickly make a font file for a tileset? Similar to how cooz made one of a 16x16 tileset? Tried using fontcreator, ended up at a loss as to what to do.

Just installed that font you linked and it works really nicely straight off the bat. Thanks for the link!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:55:48 am by fxfighter »

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 04:05:55 am »

First of all, thank you for making this! I'm attempting to set it up on my new Ubuntu server, but it's not quite working. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong... I just don't know what.

DF launches with text mode if I execute the df executable directly, I have the configuration file set to point to the correct file, yet when I try to run dfterm it spams "Restarting Dwarf Fortress." as fast as the lines will print.

Any ideas? I can provide more info if you tell me what you need.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 04:08:40 am »

Well, it's easy as can be to set up on windows, but I'm having a hell of a time finding all the right libraries and such to get it to compile on linux.

If I do eventually get it to work on linux, I'll have to see how it compares speed-wise to the windows version.

I've been targetting mostly just Windows because I did not think there would be interested Linux users (because of DF's native text mode and all). For the current source code, I'm not even sure it compiles on Linux. I'll probably release 0.1.2 at some point in the weekend that should make building a little less painful.

The source code at the moment needs development libraries for pthread, libutil, lua 5.1 and libpcre. I've been compiling it on Debian testing distribution.

I'll be updating the list of things for 0.1.2 shortly, mostly changes that make it easier to set up and use, with minor bug fixes.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 04:20:00 am »

First of all, thank you for making this! I'm attempting to set it up on my new Ubuntu server, but it's not quite working. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong... I just don't know what.

DF launches with text mode if I execute the df executable directly, I have the configuration file set to point to the correct file, yet when I try to run dfterm it spams "Restarting Dwarf Fortress." as fast as the lines will print.

Any ideas? I can provide more info if you tell me what you need.

The Linux version might be broken actually at the moment. It could also be that you have not entered the paths correctly to the configuration file. Sample lines:

DFPATH: /home/adeon/df19/df
DFWORK: /home/adeon/df19

/home/adeon/df19/df points directly to the DF executable, and working directory is where it can find its files.

You could try some other configuration e.g.:

DFPATH: /bin/bash

(doesn't need working directory). Should work just as well as DF. I'll check this out for 0.1.2, if Linux version is indeed broken.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 05:02:11 am »

Well I just connected to a server using terminal as is.

It was.. different...

Text seemed to be whimsicality highlighted in white. I think I'll stick to putty for the moment.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

pugi

• Bay Watcher
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 10:46:07 am »

Okay, i redid my tutorial, you can see it here:
http://i44.tinypic.com/141oci.png

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 02:38:15 pm »

I've released version 0.1.2. This brings some bug fixes and automatic DF version detection. There's also built-in memory configurations for d18, d19 and d19.2. This should remove hassling with configuration files for now.

EDIT: Also added quick tutorial for dummies for Windows users on top of the forum post.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:22:45 pm by Adeon »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 46