Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 88961 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2010, 11:55:47 am »

I don't know about the others, but I'm getting my turns up because I'm happy to play, not because of the time limit.  :D

Question about spirituality luxuries: Can they be stored like clothing? If you just had a shrine, for instance, but needed 1.1 luxury, would it just not be enough, or could you have no increase on turn 1, then on turn 2 get +1 to morale and have .9 spirituality left over? Similar question with if for some reason you had clothing and a shrine, but preferred +2 morale some of the time and +0 the rest over +1 all the time.

I do have two general reservations about getting a sixth player. The first is that I think more players could be good for the game but bad for the GM. We don't want you getting burned out, and any increase in complexity is essentially multiplied by the number of players for the one doing all the rolls. That could add up later on.

The second is that I think all the races should be interpreted by the same person. I don't know if there's a different power curve or if some things work differently, but to be on the safe side a new player should come up with a new race, or at least re-describe their old one for re-statting.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2010, 02:36:11 pm »

Question about spirituality luxuries: Can they be stored like clothing? If you just had a shrine, for instance, but needed 1.1 luxury, would it just not be enough, or could you have no increase on turn 1, then on turn 2 get +1 to morale and have .9 spirituality left over? Similar question with if for some reason you had clothing and a shrine, but preferred +2 morale some of the time and +0 the rest over +1 all the time.

I'll go ahead and say that, in this game, you can't put devotion into a box for later use. Unlike other luxuries, spirituality is not a material good to derive happiness from, but an experience to derive happiness from.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:34 pm »

Maybe if you have so much labor that you have improved and worked every single hex to the maximum?

That would take like, fifty turns, or more.

By that point i would most definitely have colonies up in other places, shipping resources around.

Also; if i've made all the improvements, i have no need for making wood and stone to build buildings; as i've built them all already.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »

I'll go ahead and say that, in this game, you can't put devotion into a box for later use. Unlike other luxuries, spirituality is not a material good to derive happiness from, but an experience to derive happiness from.

Also remember that luxury types don't stack; so no matter how many shrines you have, they will only ever produce 10 luxury units per year.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »

Strictly speaking, I don't think you can even build multiple shrines. I believe the spirituality from tombs would stack, however.

Hm... a custom tech that gave you a bonus for having multiple shrines could be interesting...
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2010, 09:49:12 pm »

Strictly speaking, I don't think you can even build multiple shrines. I believe the spirituality from tombs would stack, however.

Hm... a custom tech that gave you a bonus for having multiple shrines could be interesting...

I'm pretty sure it says in the rules that luxuries of the same type don't stack.

So a Shrine + A Tomb would stack, but two Tombs would not (assuming that you can build 2 Tombs). Or 2 units of Clothing do not stack with each other to produce 20 Luxury points.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:15 pm »

I think that's trying to say that you can't use the same luxury good twice for double the benefit, so you can't give everyone four helpings of clothing to boost their morale up four times, but you can use as much clothing as needed to give your entire population a single increase.

It does seem to be written ambiguously, though, now that I look at it.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2010, 10:13:24 pm »

Preposterous! When I go out I always wear 23 jackets and 52 pairs of socks, and I'm the happiest guy around!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2010, 10:51:38 pm »

Preposterous! When I go out I always wear 23 jackets and 52 pairs of socks, and I'm the happiest guy around!

Zomg, he's the Dungeon Master.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2010, 10:59:41 pm »

With that many socks, who needs pants?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »

Sigged.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2010, 04:54:48 pm »

Between the release and the subsequent death of the site, I obviously didn't get much work done on the turn. Anyway...

You can't build the same building multiple times, unless the description says so (granary, extra warehouses). Spirituality from Tombs and from Shrines stacks - otherwise tombs would be rather crummy. Similarly, 2 units of clothing do provide 20 luxury points, but even with 10,000 people, that would be a +1 to morale, with 1 unit of clothes remaining. Would it be clearer to say that you can't get more than a +1 bonus to morale from a specific luxury resource?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2010, 05:22:01 pm »

Something like that, yeah. The phrase
Additional luxury goods of the same type provide no benefit; different types are needed.

is a bit more ambiguous than I thought when I first read it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2010, 12:12:29 pm »

Turn will come tomorrow a few hours after F1, or at latest Monday. I'm writing up the basics, and I have to say, the dice hit some, and hugged some.

Neyvn, I'm sorry, but I've decided to keep the number of players at five after all, especially with the release.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »

Friiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig

This is the worst
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 65