Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I just don't get coins.  (Read 9979 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: I just don't get coins.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 09:23:45 pm »

I'm just hoping there's going to be a 'purse' or 'wallet' item for dwarves soon enough. Like quivers are for bolts, except then for every dwarf and for coins. That should make the economy and coins more bearable.

Also, make it out of rope reed cloth, by the time the economy sets in people will have plenty of rope reed cloth and/or elf corpses. Maybe some leather(All the low priced leather from human caravans..) and maybe metal(A platinium wallet with steel spikes? Dwarves will love that.)

Am I the only one that actually likes coins? I sometimes turn economy on because I like seeing all those coins on the floor in their rooms, and I can use many of the extra stone laying around after digging to make some coffers to store more coins in. Every dwarf in my fort gets a big chest filled with coins and other valuables. Tombs for everyone too, so all their coins and items they have when they die get moved there. It's a shame items only get moved one at a time...And that I can't bury the military with their armour and weapons.

I hope they don't.  That means I need to make a wallet for every single dwarf in my fort.  I'd rather they just use their magical debit card system, since I'd rather not worry about having to supply my dwarves with metal coins when they apparently do just fine with invisible, weightless, Monopoly money that sticks to their beards so they don't need to carry it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:14 am »

I see no reason they couldn't just put it in their backpacks.

... or their pockets. But then again when does the dwarf actually USE the money?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 04:59:28 am »

There is no reason to make coins but to store them in a vault, and look over your piles of gold, silver, platinum, and diamond-encrusted privies, while the filthy hordes of rodent-men outside gnash their teeth at the thought of such wealth denied to them.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 12:54:57 pm »

I'm just hoping there's going to be a 'purse' or 'wallet' item for dwarves soon enough. Like quivers are for bolts, except then for every dwarf and for coins. That should make the economy and coins more bearable.

Also, make it out of rope reed cloth, by the time the economy sets in people will have plenty of rope reed cloth and/or elf corpses. Maybe some leather(All the low priced leather from human caravans..) and maybe metal(A platinium wallet with steel spikes? Dwarves will love that.)

Am I the only one that actually likes coins? I sometimes turn economy on because I like seeing all those coins on the floor in their rooms, and I can use many of the extra stone laying around after digging to make some coffers to store more coins in. Every dwarf in my fort gets a big chest filled with coins and other valuables. Tombs for everyone too, so all their coins and items they have when they die get moved there. It's a shame items only get moved one at a time...And that I can't bury the military with their armour and weapons.

I hope they don't.  That means I need to make a wallet for every single dwarf in my fort.  I'd rather they just use their magical debit card system, since I'd rather not worry about having to supply my dwarves with metal coins when they apparently do just fine with invisible, weightless, Monopoly money that sticks to their beards so they don't need to carry it.
I think he was implicitly stating that something like this would come when the economy resembled something functional, that would give a reason to have coins.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:43 pm »

An in-game option to turn off the use of coins would be good. Then ya could churn them out, make a huge vault and fill it with gold, and ya wouldn't have to worry about dwarves picking them up.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »

d > b > f

is my in-game option for those situations.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 12:45:28 am »

Basically we need a purse item. We know this, and Toady knows this. It should happen relatively soon, since quivers work properly now.

Presumably immigrants will bring their own, like clothes, so you'll only need to make new ones when old ones start to rot.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 02:50:39 am »

Well, I have some problems with using coins, even with a purse.

1) Will coins have mass?  This doesn't mean too much normally, but consider that some of my pump operating, book keeping dwarves have 5-digit accounts...  That is a LOT of coins to be hefting around on a shoulder strap.

2) Will coins teleport to their owner as they perform their work?  If not, then you still have the problem of dwarves quitting their jobs to go grab more money from the pile.  How far away is that money pile from every single work station?  Just thinking of the inefficiencies makes me shake my head.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 03:28:41 am »

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".

I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.

It will be stupid.  But it will be gloriously stupid.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 03:52:11 am »

I was going to say that dwarves could have a limited sort of banking where, after accumulating too many coins to reasonably carry, they put the money in a bank, or vault, or something, and start conducting business via checking accounts...
but...
I will make dwarves purchase things with bushels of credit cards.  It will be a mockery of both systems.

I must admit that this is a very appealing idea. ;D

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:14 am »

I was going to say that dwarves could have a limited sort of banking where, after accumulating too many coins to reasonably carry, they put the money in a bank, or vault, or something, and start conducting business via checking accounts...
but...

I must admit that this is a very appealing idea. ;D
I believe the more correct word would be "appalling". Though I suppose the two are not mutually exclusive, and indeed, in this community, seem to be quite the opposite.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »

Is anyone else thinking about how awesome it will be to manage monetary policy and banking reserves and inflation when the economy actually works? 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

PresidentEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »

I will mod in plastic as a resource.  I will then tweak the Dwarven civ entry so that coins are only made out of plastic, and are called "credit cards".

Hot damn, I am so sigging this!

PotatoDaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:58 pm »

Is this not the point of most things in DF?

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2010, 07:41:06 pm »

Is this not the point of most things in DF?
Gloriously stupid or stupidly glorious.

Both apply. With occasional doses of brilliance, and magma.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4