Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your First Adventure  (Read 1671 times)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your First Adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:14:41 pm »

Fast traveled out of town, died by wolves the first move. I stuck to fortress mode for a while after that.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 04:39:53 pm »

Used "Play Now", started in "The First Forests", wandered south-east for an hour or so, found a rotten cat corpse and licked it, closed the game and looked up how to play on the wiki.
Could you imagine Dwarf Fortress with its standard tutorial in the game?
I been playing Dwarf Fortress for about two years now, and I still have to use the Wiki, Like most people.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:05:39 am »

I started in a human village near to my recently abandoned fort, hoping to visit it now that it had fallen to the depredations of the chasm life. I remembered the tale of Sankis II returning to the grave of his father in Boatmurdered.

The first thing I saw was that the floor was littered with random trash that I had traded to the town. I picked up some masterful stone mugs (I recognized the name of the maker as my late mayor) and bought some leather armor, then spent the next ten minutes trying to figure out how to change my shirt.

I then tried to hire everyone I met. The first person who joined me was a random pikeman but the second was the markswoman whose slaying of a dragon had ended worldgen and 100 years of dragon raids on her village.

We wandered through the wilderness in the general direction of my fort, killing sundry cougars and wolves (I mostly hung back while my companions attacked), and finally ended up at my old fort.

I was immediately greeted by spam that dwarven merchants and guards were being mauled by naked mole dogs. (A caravan had been waiting in the depot as the monsters devoured my mayor and caused my fort to descend into tantrum spiral.)

I couldn't find the main entrance, but I found a hole leading to my sunken farm for sunberries. I jumped in, getting stunned as I landed on the bottom. My companions didn't follow me down, so I wandered forward into the darkness, gradually remembering the layout of my fort.

I passed some armor bins left unmoved by the fortress's fall, and swapped off my crappy gear for some superior and exceptional steel plate. The food and drink barrels were scattered everywhere, and the food inside was not yet rotting, so I stuck some into my backpack.

By this time, my companions had reappeared; clearly they had found the main entrance unguarded by animals. The message spam was getting worse: a hammerdwarf had joined the fight and was actually injuring the animals. Every few steps, the screen filled up with large rats and antmen passing out from pain. The rough stone path from my farms to my fort complex and the chasm was long, straight, and bare; thanks to the spam it took us nearly half an hour.

At last, we came to the top level of the crypts. An up/down stair led both up to the main halls, where the residential, industrial, and dining districts were located, and down to the lower crypts, which linked up with the fatal chasm. In the distance, we could hear that the hammerdwarf was overexerted, but due to his armor the rats were barely damaging him. We unanimously decided to plumb the lower depths in search of him.

Our first sight in the lower crypts was of the aftermath of a great struggle. The red and tan corpses of antmen, naked mole dogs, and troglodytes littered the floor. The walls and stairs were stained with copious amounts of blood. A dwarven merchant lay dismembered near the grave of a pet cat that had come with the first migrant wave; a marksdwarf had made her last stand in the doorway of my sheriff's tomb, surrounded by spent bolts and the rats she had managed to dispatch.

The sounds in the distance were not auspicious; the rats were now consistently injuring the dwarf, who had become nauseous. We cautiously passed through the empty halls, occasionally catching sight of a pile of corpses where someone had died fighting. Memories returned of my fateful order that the last ten dwarves charge into the depths; most of them no doubt rested at the bottoms of several of these piles.

Before we found the second set of stairs going down, we heard a message that the surviving hammerdwarf had finally been struck down. We pressed on anyway, coming to the place where he had died fighting. The corpses of nearly two dozen fell beasts lay around him. At last we caught sight of enemies: a pair of badly injured antmen, whom we easily slew, mildly alleviating the message spam. From the hammerdwarf's dead fingers I took his steel weapon, vowing to avenge him, and prepared myself. Further beyond the fallen hammerdwarf lay the hole in the wall where I had broken into the abyss.

We passed through, and emerged into a smooth and carved hall. I expected that at the far end, a gate would open onto a bridge that I would cross to face the trolls, and finally the terrible named spider that had brought down my fort.

We did not expect to be met by a wave of dozens of naked mole dogs, followed by ratmen, troglodytes, and other stuff the game had decided to spawn inside the room. There were too many of them; even though we fought hard, the markswoman was out of ammunition and the pikeman lost his weapon in an antman. Eventually, the markswoman had her throat torn out, the pikeman bled to death, and all I could do was flail away until...

...You have been struck down
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 12:19:05 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 08:06:36 am »

How did that Hammerdwarf get there? I wish my Forts had stranded hammerdwarfs.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 03:01:51 pm »

Epicness

Darkflagrance ------
                           |
                           V
                           8)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »

My first adventure wasn't too great.

I actually tried adventure mode before fortress mode because I knew nothing about DF at all when I started. Sent the game and a link to the wiki by a friend and told "Good luck!" while he laughed manically.

But yeah, I didn't dish out skills (accidentally skipped it) - punched a child and then got wrestled to death by the child's 7 friends. 1 Was content with punching the hell out of my face while the others held me down :<

As someone mentioned it above, I have played for quite some time now and I also, still use the wiki non stop.

I find the wiki is the pokédex of dwarf fortress, but rather than pointing it at small freakish creatures I am pointing it at everything and looking at the "Will this be the end of me" reading.

It always seems to give me the same reading though and I never understood what it meant... "fun"?

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 08:32:05 pm »

If I recall correctly, in my first adventure, I started as a Dwarf and started traveling away from the fortress (but at the time, I didn't know about fast-traveling), and starved to death long before encountering anything.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:13 pm »

I started out as a human axeman, I believe. I got myself a quest to go kill a local cyclops ("She has killed eight in her lust for murder!"). With not a single experience point more than I gave myself at character creation, I traveled straight to the cave where the beast lay. I suppose I didn't run into any wolves on my way there.

The fight itself was an anticlimax: when I found the cyclops, it was sprawled unconscious on the ground, passed out in pain from a leg lost during history. A few hacks from my axe were enough to render his coma permanent (I remember thinking, "This mode is too easy").

And now I wanted to tell the town leader all about my feat of strength and bravery (I still thought that meant something). But a problem: it was the time of day when the villagers came to the mead hall to drink, and I found the path to the leader blocked by a maceman on the one-tile-wide walkway on the second floor. I had no idea that I could get past by going prone; between the frustration of mashing the arrow key to no avail and the leader's mocking taunts to come closer, I snap. I look up the key for 'Attack,' and swing my axe at that impudent maceman who dares to stand in my way.

The weapon clinks in vain against his shield. The next few frames consist of everyone introducing themselves, then ripping up my body to shreds…
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 12:50:23 am »

"Hey look, a quest! Kill an ettin? Sure!"

Some time later...

"Whatevernamed, Human Wrestler, has been struck down."

"The wolf spits out the Human chunk."
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 02:05:14 am »

My very first quest? My game bugged out and I also failed at recognizing any controls.

My first real quest? You know, the average. Kill probably three packs of wolves, talk to everyone, do some stuff like killing cyclops and whatnot, realize the endless cycle, kill a town leader who shares my weapon, take his superior quality gear, go on a rampage, and get killed by crossbowmen.

We all do that... right?  :P
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

NikkTheTrick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 03:39:55 am »

Dwarf Fortress- where nightmare fuel is recycled into business plan.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 09:36:21 pm »

I get a massive amount of lag time when I play.  I hold down the arrow key, decide to change direction, release the arrow key and wait for 5 mins for my dorf to stop walking and change direction
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!
Pages: 1 [2]