Advanced search  

Author Topic: Albert  (Read 687 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Albert
« on: March 08, 2010, 07:52:08 am »

Fiction i is writings. Actually i wrote this story back during my final year of High School for creative writing, but i'm redoing it from the ground up, page by page. Here's the first page. The story is titled 'Albert', because i never came up with anything better.

Albert looked down at the small gemstone in his hand, he foci, the source of his powers. Or so he had thought. Last night he had come to realise that the foci was nothing more than a placebo, a scaffolding around which he had built his rituals and subconscious patterns to better access the energies of reality. Armed with this knowledge, he wondered how he could have ever thought that such a tiny, imperfect thing could possibly be the source of such tremendous power.
But then again, in comparison to the universe, he himself was a tiny and imperfect thing, and the atoms that made him up were tiny and imperfect; size, he had come to learn, was not indicative of power or importance. Still, this discovery had opened up new paths for him; his power was no longer limited by elaborate rituals or carefully constructed devices. In fact, now that he thought about it, there were no limits at all.

Albert looked up from the gem to the woman standing next to him, his voice quivering faintly in the storm of revelation.
“How does one live, knowing he is as close to Divine as a man can ever be?”
The woman’s expression remained almost unchanged, a slight upturning of the left edge of her lips the only outward indication that she had heard Albert’s words. Her voice was full and melodic, but the careful listener could discern sub-chords that were, perhaps, not quite right.
“One simply does Albert, one simply does. Living is a goal in and of itself.”
“Perhaps you are correct.” Albert mused, “Perhaps the reason to live could be to live. It makes sense, in a sort of twisted, paradoxical way.” He paused, staring at the beam of light that slanted through the slight gap between the curtains.
“Yes. Perhaps i shall live, because i can live.”
“Perhaps you shall.” She suggested.
“Perhaps i shall, indeed.”

IF the Universe understood what had just happened, it might quake. The very foundations of reality itself might ripple and crack, such was the import of that instant. But the Universe does not understand, it does not care, it does not listen. It simply is. And now, so is Albert.
But while the Universe could not notice nor care about this moment, forces within the Universe could, and did. They say that you must be careful if you look into the void, for fear of the void looking back into you. This is not entirely true. It is not the void that looks back, it is the things that sit within.

And so begins this story. For a given value of ‘begins’, and perhaps a given value of ‘story’.