Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's up with site searching?  (Read 1612 times)

2cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's up with site searching?
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:43:29 pm »

It only gives one result. I sincerely doubt that there's only one area in the world with no aquifier, a river, and flux. But it gives me one result, no "next" option, and hitting enter just searches again, giving me that same area. I seem to remember older versions giving a proper list rather than one site. Am I missing something?

Fourdots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with site searching?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:11:11 pm »

40d didn't give a list or a next option either, as far as I recall. It just looks through, and tries to find out which it thinks you would like (the first one which matches all of them, or the first one which has what it considers the most important characteristics). It's not very useful right now ... much better than searching manually, of course.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 09:31:07 pm »

It's a huge step up from when we didn't have one. I believe that after he has 0.31.xx up and stable he will address the top 10 items in the eternal voting suggestions. I believe upgrading the site finder is on there.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 09:51:37 pm »

It only gives one result. I sincerely doubt that there's only one area in the world with no aquifier, a river, and flux. But it gives me one result, no "next" option, and hitting enter just searches again, giving me that same area. I seem to remember older versions giving a proper list rather than one site. Am I missing something?

There's always the good ol' 40d trick for handling that.  Embark a fortress at the site the finder spits up and immediately abandon.  The finder will ignore that site now and find another matching your criteria.  Lather, rinse, repeat until there really are no sites remaining that fit your criteria.

Also note that the finder has never been very good about finding sites with/without aquifers.  More true in v31.0x with the default being an island world.  LOTS of aquifers there.

2cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:59:47 pm »

40d didn't give a list or a next option either, as far as I recall. It just looks through, and tries to find out which it thinks you would like (the first one which matches all of them, or the first one which has what it considers the most important characteristics). It's not very useful right now ... much better than searching manually, of course.

Ah, okay. Must be remembering wrong. Oh well, not a huge deal. It's fairly easy to find good sites manually, just look for certain layers.