Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How do you draw blueprints for your fortress?  (Read 17942 times)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you draw blueprints for your fortress?
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:52:18 pm »

Hi, I'm going to try and build something nice, so I was wondering what software should I use to plan it beforehand?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: How do you draw blueprints for your fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:19:16 pm »

I won't lie, most of my own planning I do in my head, occasionally making marks in-game using temporary designations. But when I do need to plan some big stuff, MS Paint's always worked for me (and a lot of other forumites, I believe).

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »

you draw it with a...... PENCIL! its easy, paper enough and you can adjust changes which wont be easy with software.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:25:50 pm »

you draw it with a...... PENCIL! its easy, paper enough and you can adjust changes which wont be easy with software.

I actually made a large grid with pen once, then drawing my design with pencil. If I didn't like it I could just erase it again.

You could also make grids with paint, print a few of these, label those with Z-level numbers. (Z1, Z2, Z3, et cetera) and then draw your design on those.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:38:43 pm »

If i see cool designs somewhere I take note of them. I work them in my head and I feel most comfortable with pen and pencil.

I can get quite absorbed in these things. It's happened more than once that I've realised I just planned a huge structure that's needlessly complicated and I can cut out about 2/3 and have it function much better.

I smile and keep it the way it is. Dwarfy!

edit: oh and pencil etcetera is great because I draw a 3d image of many things to get an idea of what I'll be looking at in stonesense or one of the 3d utilities. plus i'm artistic so that's that. :)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 01:40:20 pm »

Guess I'll have to go with Paint.NET and some grid paper, which I have quite a bit laying around, being a student and all. Thanks for your advice.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 01:43:09 pm »

I've used Paint and Autocad (two opposite ends of simplicity versus overkill there), but most of my fortress planning is done with graph paper and pencil.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 01:44:34 pm »

Oh, oh! How do you make nice circles? Don't want to end up having to remake the whole structure because of some missing tiles.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:46:52 pm »

most i do a quick pen and paper plan with numbers and rock type listing.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »

I have issues with Paint.net's circles. I often come upon situations where the circles are non-symmetrical even with the constrain proportions stuff on. What they call a perfect circle is often a very imperfect circle. Other than that it is ace for fortress planning.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:53:56 pm »

Paint or Paint shop Pro when I need to map out multiple layers and see how they fit. Plans are created at a 1 pixel to 1 tile scale, with a multitude of difference colours standing for different elements.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:55:25 pm »

How do you do circles then, Duke?

By the way, I was reading the "Castle design" thread and was really taken with the Healedabbey castle you linked.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »

Thanks.
 And yeah, I just use Paint for circles. Everything else is Paint.net. Hopefully their website has a plugin for correct circles on it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:02:31 pm »

I use pen and paper, sometimes making floorplans, sometimes doodling a '3d' overlook of the fort.  Oh, and circles are undwarven.  Stick with octagons.  :)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 02:07:25 pm »

Win 7's Paint seems to be as bad at drawing circles as Paint.NET. Or maybe I'm doing something 'rong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4