Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How do you draw blueprints for your fortress?  (Read 17706 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you draw blueprints for your fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 02:07:55 pm »

You can print out gridded paper. http://www.incompetech.com/graphpaper/

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 02:09:22 pm »

I use pen and paper, sometimes making floorplans, sometimes doodling a '3d' overlook of the fort.  Oh, and circles are undwarven.  Stick with octagons.  :)

At this point I'm about ready to start naming trees out of boredom, and the design I chose relies heavily on circles (Helm's Deep).

I've gotten the basic plan for the outside down, but I have no idea what is actually inside of it. Any Tolkien fans here willing to enlighten me?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 02:22:00 pm »

I use pencil and graph paper for most designs, because I do it during my free time at school. I have even made up a way to do circles using a compass.

But when it gets right down to it, I usually ignore my designs entirely and freeform it ingame.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 02:25:13 pm »

I have even made up a way to do circles using a compass.

Put it down on the paper and trace its shape?
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:50:08 pm »

I do thus:

1. pause

2. designate

3. look it over

4. fix

5. unpause

Works for me. In fact, it will only not work above ground, and what true dwarf works in the sun? None, thats who. All mega projects must be underground.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »

Somewhere here or in dwarven discussion a genius got a programn which wuld make circles IN dwarven style for you

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 03:21:57 pm »

Yeah, AutoHotKey scripts, I remember that. Bit too much work to get it working though just to draw a circle.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 03:47:17 pm »

Win 7's Paint seems to be as bad at drawing circles as Paint.NET. Or maybe I'm doing something 'rong.
No, it's not just you (and sometimes it 'corrects' my pixels when I draw, although that's not a problem for DF-style work). You can copy over XP's paint.exe and work with that, but it won't let you save anything.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30589.0

This topic has some sample circles drawn in Paint as well as some AHK scripts.

(edit: huh, maybe I had the window sitting open too long. Oh well, the link's still useful.)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 03:48:56 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 04:36:51 pm »

If you're on a Mac, and you probably aren't, I suggest Paintbrush for low-end but extremely user-friendly and efficient end products. Pixen has layers, and good high-end features, like being able to change the colour of every pixel of a certain colour, and an adjustable grid. (2x2, 6x6, 24x12, 100x49...) Examples:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take your pic. Also, graph paper works nice.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:52:08 pm by Nobbins »
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Tazgrent

• Bay Watcher
  • Suffer not the Elf to live.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:08 pm »

....Plan?
The only notable thing to remember about dwarf beards is that when a pansy human and a dwarf argue over whether or not shaved chicks are better, they're probably not on the same page.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:04 pm »

I actually use Google SketchUp, with a grid of guidelines simulating Dwarf Fortress's tiled nature.  It works pretty well, even though SketchUp is a 3d drawing program - I just ignore the z-axis and use multiple files when doing multiple levels.  It's probably about as good as AutoCAD, but free (which is always nice).
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 10:24:06 pm »

Unless I have a sculpture or building design in mind, I use Lego Digital Designer. In any other case, I just wing it according to the region.

LATE LATE EDIT:
As of nowadays, I'm using Paint.Net to get it done now. Far more user-friendly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:13:32 am by Itnetlolor »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:59 pm »

I just leave a bunch of notes where I want stuff (red note = wall, blue note = ramp/stair, etc) and revise as I go.

Circles I just do by hand. It's not too hard to do if you've worked with computer circle tools before in any capacity. I start with a four-point star and just fill it in a bit at a time.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 11:40:25 pm »

Who needs planning? REAL Dwarves make crap up as they go along!

;)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 03:16:20 am »

....Plan?
Quotedin full for
Completeness,
Accuracy,
Dwarfiness.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4