Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Steep Learning Curve  (Read 16110 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steep Learning Curve
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 03:49:45 pm »

Once you understand K, Q, and V you can figure the whole game out.

Then you discover T and more is made clear.

Cariyaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 04:22:00 pm »

K, Q, V, and T, the most holy of dwarven letters.

Khalep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 04:51:16 pm »

By Armok's blood-soaked beard.. I've played this game on and off for over a year now and never found T.. thank you..  :-[
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:14:46 pm by Khalep »

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 05:42:06 pm »

By Armok's blood-soaked beard.. I've played this game on and off for over a year now and never found T.. thank you..  :-[

THIS!!! is why the Interface sucks the big one.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Khalep

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:39 pm »

Heh, now, that is a bit unfair. I mean, it's actually listed on the front page of the interface and as long as you know the keys it's actually quite efficient. This is truly a mistake of my own, hehe.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 08:39:47 am »

THIS!!! is why the Interface sucks the big one.

You! Now I know why I know you.

You need to stop suggesting things in Haven and Hearth.

Also, the interface is fine. It just requires reading and a little more documentation.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:28 am »

Also, the interface is fine. It just requires reading and a little more documentation.

The interface gets the job done, and in that respect, yes, it is fine.  But it doesn't get the job done as efficiently, conveniently, or obviously as it could, and in that respect, it is far from fine.

People get used to the interface; they become comfortable and familiar with it.  Once that happens, it can be hard to see why it needs to improve.  After all, it works, doesn't it?  Redesign a major part of the interface, such as improving the view, scroll, and item selection process in the trade screen, and after a while people won't believe that they were ever able to use that screen without those features.  Just because it can be hard to see why it needs improvement at the moment does mean that we won't be totally dependent upon such improvements in the future.

And for all those who aren't yet used to and familiar with the interface (or anything like it, such as a roguelike), it can certainly be quite a steep learning curve, and possibly very intimidating.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 10:27:34 am »

The interface gets the job done, and in that respect, yes, it is fine.  But it doesn't get the job done as efficiently, conveniently, or obviously as it could, and in that respect, it is far from fine.

Even that's a stretch.  Many people would say the interface "gets the job done" if you're using Dwarf Therapist (and it's even effective and convenient).  Still, equipment assign is only "possible" in the broadest sense of that word.  But apparently Toady has that fixed for the next version.

So the native interface gets the job done for many parts of the game.  There are utilities that fill in most of the gaps.  And in general, Toady is working to make things better.

The game IS a work in progress.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 am »

What about 'D'? I use that key the most!
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 10:48:16 am »

Most people are used to "pick up and play" games that are intuitive and simple. Dorf Fortress is the opposite extreme. It's not hard to learn, it just takes patience and the wiki. Most games sacrifice depth for ease of use. Dwarf Fortress doesn't and that's why we love it. A lot of people simply don't want to put in the time to learn it because they don't understand what the game is capable of. They're used to judging new games based on cutting edge graphics. They see something like DF's ascii and they just assume it means it's cheap.

If they saw some of the amazing mega projects and heard some of the stories that people post on the forums, they'd be a lot more interested in taking the plunge.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 10:54:14 am »

Most people are used to "pick up and play" games that are intuitive and simple. Dorf Fortress is the opposite extreme. It's not hard to learn, it just takes patience and the wiki. Most games sacrifice depth for ease of use. Dwarf Fortress doesn't and that's why we love it. A lot of people simply don't want to put in the time to learn it because they don't understand what the game is capable of.
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 11:02:35 am »

Most people are used to "pick up and play" games that are intuitive and simple. Dorf Fortress is the opposite extreme. It's not hard to learn, it just takes patience and the wiki. Most games sacrifice depth for ease of use. Dwarf Fortress doesn't and that's why we love it. A lot of people simply don't want to put in the time to learn it because they don't understand what the game is capable of. They're used to judging new games based on cutting edge graphics. They see something like DF's ascii and they just assume it means it's cheap.

If they saw some of the amazing mega projects and heard some of the stories that people post on the forums, they'd be a lot more interested in taking the plunge.

I'm just trying to emphasize that depth and ease of use do not need to be seen as direct trade-offs of each other.  It is my opinion that DF could have a great deal more ease of use while still maintaining its depth, and even adding further depth (as is called for on the dev page).  Were Tarn to ignore this possibility and treat depth and ease of use as strictly incompatible (which I doubt, though many hardcore players seem to), I would expect it to severely damage the quality of the game going into the future.

The game is indeed a work in progress.  Just don't forget that depth is not the only progress that is possible or needed.  Usability should be part of that progress too (though admittedly not always developed at the same pace as depth; sometimes slower, sometimes faster).

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:57 am »

I'm just trying to emphasize that depth and ease of use do not need to be seen as direct trade-offs of each other.  It is my opinion that DF could have a great deal more ease of use while still maintaining its depth, and even adding further depth (as is called for on the dev page).  Were Tarn to ignore this possibility and treat depth and ease of use as strictly incompatible (which I doubt, though many hardcore players seem to), I would expect it to severely damage the quality of the game going into the future.

The game is indeed a work in progress.  Just don't forget that depth is not the only progress that is possible or needed.  Usability should be part of that progress too (though admittedly not always developed at the same pace as depth; sometimes slower, sometimes faster).
Care to share an example of this ease to use with depth?

I think the more commands you got = the more depth. Make it less and you get less depth, but easier to use(More general commands) Seriously...I think the games perfect as it is with interface.

Only complaint is that I'm stupid and forget that my caps lock is on alot..I rage when things dont work.
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »

I think the more commands you got = the more depth. Make it less and you get less depth, but easier to use(More general commands) Seriously...I think the games perfect as it is with interface.

Remember when we got the feature to be able to mark blocks of walls/floors for building all at once?  That improved ease of use, but didn't destroy any depth at all.

The status screen provides a nice summary of things like food stocks and how many dwarves of each time a fortress has.  Without that, one would still be able to obtain that information, but it would be very tedious.  Adding the status screen in no way diminishes depth.

A recent suggestion of adding contextual options to the workshops where they make sense (such as auto-loom options at the loom, butcher options at the butcher) would increase ease of use, but not impact depth.

Making it easier to select multiple items for trade would be the same.

As would a way to store a filter for which building materials to display when constructing a wall or something.  Having to repeatedly scroll down to select Marble Block because it isn't the closest material (or worse, not having to scroll because it is the closest until suddenly you've used up the nearby marble blocks and are accidentally selecting charcoal) is obnoxious, and in no way increases depth.

Getting dwarves to wear the armor and wield the weapon you want them to could be improved (and apparently has been for the next version).  In this case, I suspect Tarn has added both depth and ease of use, though final judgment would have to wait for the new version to come out.

On a higher level, having tutorial missions, with in-game help and tips, would greatly increase ease of use for a boatload of new players.  Maybe some elitist-type people might view that as dumbing the game down, but that's pushing it; I certainly don't see the games depth decreasing because of it.

Finding a way to avoid dwarves building from the wrong side or building in the wrong order, and thus doing stupid things like getting themselves stuck, making not-yet-built sections inaccessible, and causing cave-ins off the side of a bridge used for scaffolding before the proper supporting piece is built would also aid ease of use, while not hurting depth.  Unless you like these sorts of challenges.  I don't, and they are one of the reasons I quit playing.

I could probably think of tons more if I had played the game within the past year.  But hopefully the above at least makes it clear that much can be done to increase ease of use without decreasing depth.

Now for players who like challenge merely for the sake of challenge, I suppose my opinion won't make much sense.  But I prefer to distinguish between interesting and trivial challenges.  A good game in my view has a good selection of interesting challenges, requiring interesting decisions.  A deep game like DF should have a wide variety of interesting challenges (in contrast with a good but simple game which has a narrow focus with its interesting challenges).  But trivial challenges should always be minimized; in the ideal case, they should be eliminated.  If a person thinks that no challenge is a trivial challenge, then I suppose we just don't see eye to eye.  But such a person is usually a hardcore player, and the potential audience, even for a game like DF, is substantially larger than just those sorts of players, so it would be unwise for Tarn to overlook this.  Besides, I get the strong impression that Tarn himself is not at all this sort of player.  He is very much fascinated with making a game full of interesting challenges.  The trivial ones are just unfortunate side effects arising naturally during development, not at all a design goal.

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 12:10:35 pm »

Tarn freely admits that the current interface is lacking.

Mass management of jobs is a nightmare and Dwarf Therapist fixes that.  Same amount of depth, but much easier to use.  Of course, if you count DT as part of the interface, then the interface is perfect for those tasks.

But managing equipment is still bad.  You might argue this is a gameplay deficiency rather than UI, but Toady is making the system BOTH easier and deeper.  And he would have done this long ago, but he has limited resources.

Eventually the game will be much better, both in depth and usability.  But it's going to take time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5