Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF 2010?  (Read 13408 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2010?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:18 am »

If you tried to make that a Duke Nukem Forever joke, it really badly backlashed, because it looks a lot more like Fortress Forever now. Which is incidentally a Source mod that is absolutely ruined by the community. Partially because they believe that the definition of 'skills' is exploiting mobility bugs in the Source engine and how any developer intervention to counter it would be a massive tragedy upon mankind on a level similar to the Holocaust or 9/11.

Wow rage... Also, Godwin's Law :P
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:54 pm »

Wow.... 9/11 = Holocaust ?

I think those are on vastly different scales.

Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 02:03:45 pm »

Wow.... 9/11 = Holocaust ?

I think those are on vastly different scales.

Not to some people they're not. I remember when Katrina hit New Orleans, they interviewed someone who shouted "I can't believe we're not getting more relief effort from abroad! this is a worse catastrophy than the tsunami!"

I went like. Really? .. he then proceeded to imply that the rest of the world was being racist towards america.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 02:57:58 pm »

If you tried to make that a Duke Nukem Forever joke, it really badly backlashed, because it looks a lot more like Fortress Forever now. Which is incidentally a Source mod that is absolutely ruined by the community. Partially because they believe that the definition of 'skills' is exploiting mobility bugs in the Source engine and how any developer intervention to counter it would be a massive tragedy upon mankind on a level similar to the Holocaust or 9/11.

Dude, you have issues.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »

...Buh?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »

You know, the whole point of Godwin's Law is that people a) leap to base name calling when it becomes obvious they aren't going to win through logic, and b) that it mitigates the scale of the horror or the sort of perverse sacredness that the Holocaust holds as the officially sanctioned "worst event in human history", diluting the impact of things like genocide when you compare, say, a mod with an itchy ban finger, or someone with political views a little different from your own to someone who attempted and made huge efforts towards the systematic erradication of an entire race of humans.

Does it count as irony when Godwin's Law itself gets overapplied and diluted in meaning?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 11:05:57 pm »

There probably exist very good medicine for you...
I am sorry to say but compairing bug fixes to mass slaughter of thousands or millions of our fellow man is a little bit loony.

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:37 am »

There probably exist very good medicine for you...
I am sorry to say but compairing bug fixes to mass slaughter of thousands or millions of our fellow man is a little bit loony.

Just want to point out that it looks like that was the point he was trying to make

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 01:49:54 am »

You know, the whole point of Godwin's Law is that people a) leap to base name calling when it becomes obvious they aren't going to win through logic, and b) that it mitigates the scale of the horror or the sort of perverse sacredness that the Holocaust holds as the officially sanctioned "worst event in human history", diluting the impact of things like genocide when you compare, say, a mod with an itchy ban finger, or someone with political views a little different from your own to someone who attempted and made huge efforts towards the systematic erradication of an entire race of humans.

Does it count as irony when Godwin's Law itself gets overapplied and diluted in meaning?

I think saying that the holocaust and 9/11 were of the same severity counts.
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 02:46:53 am »

The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 02:51:28 am »

The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Sigged
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 02:53:12 am »

Actually, I think a more accurate statement would be:

Dwarf Fortress, where being compared to a syphilitic madman bent on finding the most efficient method of extracting value from a people before systematically commiting genocide upon them is considered a compliment.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 02:56:20 am »

Dwarf Fortress; Where questions about the release of new versions mutate into discussions about genocide, mass-murder, terrorist attacks and complimenting others by comparing them with those.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2010, 02:59:52 am »

Pssh, those are too long to make catchy slogans :P

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 03:03:08 am »

Dwarf Fortress isn't very catchy either? So why not give it an extremely long and complicated slogan as well?

A FUN slogan.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4