Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training troops  (Read 1984 times)

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training troops
« on: August 21, 2006, 08:47:00 am »

Let's say I get 6 peasant immigrants.

Let's say I want to make them into an elite fighting machine of axes, hammers and swords.

How do I do that, if I don't have any enemies to set them on? All other professions have to work to get better.

Slime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training troops
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 08:49:00 am »

I believe if you turn them into recruits, they will spar. Perhaps they have to be in the same squad though.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:52:00 am »

They can be in different squads too.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:54:00 am »

They only spar while off-duty, too.

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 08:55:00 am »

This might explain why my experiment of a single recruit didn't do much in the barracks   :D

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:06:00 pm »

Will spar come up as a task? I have a recruit and a sworddwarf, both armed with swords, but they dont seem to be sparring. I took them both off duty

[ August 23, 2006: Message edited by: Kjoery ]

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 01:27:00 pm »

Do you have barracks?  I think they'll only spar in the barracks room, and then only if neither of them is doing something else.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »

Archers will practise any time there are wooden or bone bolts and a target.  They go up fast so long as you can supply them.

Mele troops though.. christ.. they'll sit in the barracks, wander around, do ANYTHING but spar.  Every now and then with the stars and planets are aligned they might spar for a few seconds, but it's so so so rare.

Fenek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 02:30:00 pm »

Bah, my dwarves spar all the time. I can't get them to do anything, but beating themselves   :D

Just dig out 5x5 room, put some armor stand and/or weapon rack, make them both barracks, and voila.  You have a sparring room   :D

Oh, and make sure  it's close to where your dwarves are stationed.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »

What I've been doing: squads of 5-6 dwarves, with armor and wooden shields, barehanded (to train wrestling and armor up some before I trust them not to puncture lungs while sparring).  Whenever my woodchoppers run into wildlife, I send my military out to chase it around.  Killing animals all the time is decent training.  Even ogres and harpies aren't too tough - two unarmed dwarves seem to be able to take down a single ogre without much risk.

I need to couple this with hunting - the hunters get the meat and bring it back, the military smacks down any big threats the hunters run into - but haven't had time to set that up yet.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 12:31:00 pm »

there should be a training area object for melee much like the range...  dummies, one of them woodblock things you see in kungfu related films, etc... so they don't need a sparring partner (sod the health & safety)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>there should be a training area object for melee much like the range...  dummies, one of them woodblock things you see in kungfu related films, etc... so they don't need a sparring partner (sod the health & safety)</STRONG>

Yes this is a must have.