Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bloat109, DRINK IMPROVEMENTS  (Read 3335 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Bloat109, DRINK IMPROVEMENTS
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:24:42 am »

Basically with the naming of drinks.

The first step would be to include more varities of drink names. So beers instead of always being "dwarven beer" could be:

dwarven beer
dwarven ale
dwarven lager
dwarven stout

wines could be
dwarven wine
dwarven sangria
dwarven sparkling wine

whisky could be
dwarven whiskey
dwarven bourbon
dwarven scotch

rum could be
dwarven rum
dwarven spiced rum
dwarven dark rum

So first you'd reclassify the products of plants as a basic type: beer, wine, whisky, rum, custom

So Beers would be: Pig Tails, Cave Wheat, Longland Grass, Bloated Tubers.
Wine: Plump Helmets, Whip Vine, Fisher Berry, Wild Strawberry, Prickle Berry
Rum: Sweet Pod, Sunberry?
Whiskey: Muck Root, Sliver Barb, Rat Weed
Other: This would be just a custom name without variation. So potatoes might just be CUSTOM:Vodka, If you decide that Sunshine or River Spirits are their own item then you can include their custom names as well.

Then using logic akin to cooking, each production would randomly produce a name.

So instead of pig tail always producing ales and cave wheat always producing beers, you might produce a Pig Tail Lager or Cave Wheat Stout.

Second step: Custom Cocktails:

When an exceptional drink is produced, it will be given a custom name using a random name generator. It could use the existing random name generator but one might be special tuned for drinks if desired. Basically instead of just being an exceptional Cave Wheat Lager it would be The Lager of Blank (Champions, Blades, Bridges).

If a masterwork drink is produced, it will be given an even cooler name. So it would be The [Adjective] Lager of [Adjective] [Noun], The Brilliant Lager of Shining Champions.  (and of course it would be given a cool dwarfy name as well).

From that point on, any new exceptional or masterwork items have either a chance to repeat an existing name or add a new one to the list. So initially, the chances of a new name would be huge, but once you've gotten a dozen or so custom brews, the chances of a new brew being discovered would be slim to none. Quality wouldn't be tied to the name, so an exception drink name might be repeated with masterwork quality item (this would represent a particularly good batch) or on the flipside a masterwork name might end up used for only an exceptional level brew (it's not as good as the original, but it's still pretty good...).

Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
Re: Bloat109, DRINK IMPROVEMENTS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:00 pm »

I'm liking this idea.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 08:56:30 pm »

woot.  i hope toady does this and overhauls food instead of implementing that poetry generator.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:56:00 am »

I'd rather have the generated liquor and beer names have actual meanings "Urist's Best", rather than being more mad libs.   Mad libs aren't that descriptive, or interesting to read.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:27:12 am »

Personally, I think it's important to have the names of booze types actually reflect the brewing process used. In other words, "wine" for things fermented using its own natural sugars, "whiskey" for distilled, fermented grain mash, and that sort of thing.

I don't know a hell of a lot about brewing, so I'm afraid to give more examples, but I know that the game right now doesn't really respect this, nor does the OP of this thread; they basically just throw random words around.

I'd rather have the generated liquor and beer names have actual meanings "Urist's Best", rather than being more mad libs.   Mad libs aren't that descriptive, or interesting to read.

This is a good idea for very specific drinks, but simpler names make more sense (to me) for basic varieties. "Urist's Best", to me, sounds like it could be an example of a specific booze type, as brewed by a particular fortress/brewer, whereas "Dwarven Stout" would be the type itself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

katzebar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »

I'd rather have the generated liquor and beer names have actual meanings "Urist's Best", rather than being more mad libs.   Mad libs aren't that descriptive, or interesting to read.

This is honestly one of the best ideas regarding crafted products I've heard so far. What if a created item (anything, not just booze,) was given a name reflecting the personality and skill level of the crafter? I'm not sure how it would be implemented, but it seems like such a natural step in the right direction.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:20:15 pm »

That's getting into names for designs/recipes and not just the final product; DF currently does the latter (in some cases, mostly just artifacts) but doesn't yet have a notion of a "design" (including a recipe for food/drink) separate from the individual item. It would be interesting if it did, but that's a whole other weird issue beyond the scope of this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 06:25:15 pm »

Well, it'd work similar to the random name generator now (i Imagine) just with different names filled in.

I think the issue might be that all the "mad libs" use the same list, no matter the object. So you get bad-ass names for menial things like artifact mittens named "Burning Dragons of Battle" and then menacing swords named "Crumpledangle"

I don't know if the alternative would be to create seperate lists for each object, or just put filters (so these would be the "drink" names, these would be the "weapon" names etc.)

However, that's a discussion for another thread. No matter WHAT the naming convention is, I just proposed that it should be restricted to masterwork & artifact drinks only (artifact drinks hopefully having magical properties giving you healing potions etc.) and that when naming a drink, it will randomly pick a new name or select one from a list.

Creating a system where it can identify if the brew is the exact same brew as the named item is too time consuming and way too micro for something that is essentially just "fluff" text. Same thing with naming brews after how they are created...that's just way too much micromanagement for something that doesn't really matter.

There's no evidence that ale is better then beer, so why should we care how a drink is created? Why not assume that a still has all the materials needed to produce any kind of alcohol and go from there?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:30:17 pm »

Well, it'd work similar to the random name generator now (i Imagine) just with different names filled in.

I think the issue might be that all the "mad libs" use the same list, no matter the object. So you get bad-ass names for menial things like artifact mittens named "Burning Dragons of Battle" and then menacing swords named "Crumpledangle"

I don't know if the alternative would be to create seperate lists for each object, or just put filters (so these would be the "drink" names, these would be the "weapon" names etc.)

For what it's worth, spheres already accomplish this to some degree in the game, where they're used, at least, but mostly just in the names of deities.

Creating a system where it can identify if the brew is the exact same brew as the named item is too time consuming and way too micro for something that is essentially just "fluff" text. Same thing with naming brews after how they are created...that's just way too much micromanagement for something that doesn't really matter.

There's no evidence that ale is better then beer, so why should we care how a drink is created? Why not assume that a still has all the materials needed to produce any kind of alcohol and go from there?

They don't have the materials needed to produce any kind of alcohol, since that's defined by the input. After all, you aren't going to make wine out of potatoes. I guess you're referring more to the subtler ingredients though, like flavoring and slight differences in processes.

However, recipes in general being saved and re-used in a named and persistent format is already in the dev goals, at least for cooking, and it's a Req, not even a Bloat (emphasis here is mine):
# Req129, IMPROVE COOKING, (Future): More food. Food should require a substrate, rather than just being seeds etc. Seeds, syrups, drinks and other such objects can contribute to the likes/dislike checks as they do now, but they shouldn't add to the number created. A good roll could lead to the recipe being given a name and saved to the entity definition, where it can then be encountered in other cities in subsequent games.

Most of the stuff here is certainly applicable to booze as well.

(EDIT)
Some other related dev goals, for what it's worth, that are related to this:
# Req162, ENTITY RECIPES, (Future): Civilization initial recipes. This also includes some food management for civs so food items can be created more easily. Requires Req129.

# Bloat109, DRINK IMPROVEMENTS, (Future): More names for drinks, they could have special names, commemorate things, be improved in the kitchen, associated drinking rituals, etc.

# Bloat212, BOTTLING, (Future): Glass bottles for trading away master booze, bottling it and aging it, fun labeling of the bottles complete with names and images and years, comments on years, collector quests.

# PowerGoal112, THE LOCAL BREW, (Future): You are an elf and visit the human mead hall for a drink, but the local brew is more than what you are used to. You are henceforth referred to as "Spittoondrinker" whenever you come back to visit.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:34:43 pm by G-Flex »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:52:42 pm »

For what it's worth, spheres already accomplish this to some degree in the game, where they're used, at least, but mostly just in the names of deities.

language_SYM.txt serves a similar purpose for the names of creatures, world gen constructions, etc.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:03:47 pm »

# Bloat109, DRINK IMPROVEMENTS, (Future): More names for drinks, they could have special names, commemorate things, be improved in the kitchen, associated drinking rituals, etc.

lol, did you look at the title of the thread? Instead of spending time spitballing random crap and adding to the endless list of dev items, I thought I'd take a shot at discussing stuff on that list.  If you notice, I put the dev item in the topic so that it's clear what I plan on addressing.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »

I think I just forgot about the thread name while I was looking at the dev list and pasting the relevant dev goals into the post. I was sort of on autopilot for a moment, looking at things relevant to food/booze recipes and identification in general. Kind of funny in hindsight, though, how I missed that.

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:03:14 am »

If I may apply this idea to other aspects of food, (but I’m sure someone has already posted this idea) it would be cool to see other name endings that describe a finished (cooked) meal.

A name ending like ‘salad’ can be combined with a description for the dish, like berry, to produce a name for a mixture of Sun Berries and Wild Strawberries. (“Berry Salad”)

Other names like ‘soaked’, could result with “Deer soaked in Sunshine”

These are just summaries; of course the ingredient names can be refined (that is a major discussion point of this topic) when you bring the ingredient screen up.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 02:08:35 am »

If I may apply this idea to other aspects of food, (but I’m sure someone has already posted this idea) it would be cool to see other name endings that describe a finished (cooked) meal.

It's in the dev notes, in fact, and there have been tons of Suggestions threads dedicated to discussing it.  This thread should probably stay on the topic of drinks.

# Req129, IMPROVE COOKING, (Future): More food. Food should require a substrate, rather than just being seeds etc. Seeds, syrups, drinks and other such objects can contribute to the likes/dislike checks as they do now, but they shouldn't add to the number created. A good roll could lead to the recipe being given a name and saved to the entity definition, where it can then be encountered in other cities in subsequent games.

# Req162, ENTITY RECIPES, (Future): Civilization initial recipes. This also includes some food management for civs so food items can be created more easily. Requires Req129.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 02:33:20 am »

I too would like to see name generation incorporating possessives, which shouldn't be too hard.

Also, would be nice to have really good beer list a year, so the name of the beer might be something like "Urist's Best, 149" or "Urist's Best of 149".

The year might instead be in the beer's description.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: [1] 2