Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Games with good combat systems  (Read 10267 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games with good combat systems
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 07:16:09 am »

Tired
"Die by the sword"

I think there's a way around the camera problem... I dont know, something in options. I haven't played in ages.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:25 am »

The Kengo series for the PS2 is a "spiritual successor" to Bushido Blade.

As for "good combat systems", most of the games were already named. I can throw Blade of Darkness in there, but mostly because it was great overall, not in any specific regard.

And if you go away from the usual fighting genres, Star Trek:Bridge Commander was a rather faithful implementation of starship combat in the 'verse.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:29:08 am »

Yeah, I actually have Lugaru. Its pretty neat except for the fact that you have to be insanely fast to survive. Not just normal fast, meth addict fast. Even then there are only so many actual moves and counters.

Yeah it can get pretty crazy, very satisfying when you get good at it. I can't wait for the sequel to be finished, will be a while yet.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 11:38:41 am »

Colosseum: Road to Freedom(footage from the Japanese remix version). Has area damage, stamina, balance, knocking off helmets, knocking weapons out of the enemy's hands, dodging, blocking, 4 basic attacks (low, left, right and high), special attacks you earn from beaten enemies and a stats system allowing your character to become better at a given fighting style and simply become faster/stronger/etc..

And although you could probably beat most enemies by spamming low attacks, the goal of each fight is more so to please the crowd and earn more money than to simply win.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:00 pm »

To be honest, you can't get much better than DF's combat system. Snapping someone's arm via wrestling, then jamming a crossbow bolt in their eye and twisting it? Come on...
Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2...  Well, sort of.  The concept was awesome, the execution was... pretty good.  Could have been better.
I've been wanting to play that, but I can't find it, even at the bargain bin at Gamestop(which has me saying "best $5 I ever spent" a lot).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:04:12 pm »

Colosseum: Road to Freedom(footage from the Japanese remix version). Has area damage, stamina, balance, knocking off helmets, knocking weapons out of the enemy's hands, dodging, blocking, 4 basic attacks (low, left, right and high), special attacks you earn from beaten enemies and a stats system allowing your character to become better at a given fighting style and simply become faster/stronger/etc..

And although you could probably beat most enemies by spamming low attacks, the goal of each fight is more so to please the crowd and earn more money than to simply win.

That game was awesome! I'd forgotten all about that hehe. Might have to dig out my ps2 and see if i can find it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 03:52:29 pm »

Good luck finding Robot Alchemic Drive anywhere. I was lucky enough to have played the demo before the game came out and immediately went out and bought it when it did.  I ahven't seen it on shelves for years. You could try checking gamestop's website, or ebay.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

larson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »

I always have wanted to try Arx Fatalis because of its rune inspired spell system. It seems to be a lot like Dark Messiah.

But who could forget about Nexus? Awesomely fun space battles. 1 2 3 4

Side note: anyone noticed how most Youtube game videos from before 2006-2007 are missing? Only random crap ones remain.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:05 pm »

Wasn't Dark Messiah originally supposed to be the sequel to Arx Fatalis and then they changed it to be vaguely connected to the might and magic series?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »

Puzzle Quest has an original one, at least. It's not terribly exciting though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

larson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 10:31:51 pm »

Wasn't Dark Messiah originally supposed to be the sequel to Arx Fatalis and then they changed it to be vaguely connected to the might and magic series?
I guess so. I haven't played either one. Sadly, it appears runecasting was left out in favor of accessibility.

I liked this review of Dark Messiah:
Quote from: Wikipedia
1UP.com gave the game only 4/10, criticising the over-reliance on using the kick as a weapon and dubbing it "The Adventures of Sir Kicksalot Deathboot in the Land of the Conspicuously Placed Spike Racks".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »

Dark Messiah is fun, but that's totally true.  Cheap tricks abound.  Kick a guy into fire.  Kick a guy into spikes.  Kick a guy off a cliff.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  For some reason I put [/swords] instead of [/spoiler]
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 10:53:39 pm »

The kick was overpowered, but nowhere near overpowered enough to help you in the last levels against those hordes of tough enemies where you run out of stamina before you can kick them all.

Also, what's wrong with the throwing a rock thing?  That's almost like something from DF, except that in DF the rock would have punctured multiple internal organs and then instead of stabbing the guy after you'd knocked him over you'd start dismembering him piece by piece.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 01:50:59 am »

Because it's a crime to ruin an epic battle.  Imagine if, at the end of Mass Effect, Sovereign missed the conduit, rammed right into a piece of the Citadel, and blew up, and that was the end of the game.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 03:08:32 am »

Because it's a crime to ruin an epic battle.  Imagine if, at the end of Mass Effect, Sovereign missed the conduit, rammed right into a piece of the Citadel, and blew up, and that was the end of the game.

Well I haven't seen Mass Effect's ending, but I'm sure it was a predictable epic battle with maybe an annoying cliff hanger ending like most every crpg ever. 

'Epic Battles' are a dime a dozen in computer games, and that one wasn't even near the end of the game.  Try it on the end boss and see if he notices.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4