Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Injured Baby  (Read 12522 times)

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Injured Baby
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:14 am »

Anyone else ever have an injured baby? He's got a Red leg. Just never seen that before.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Injured Baby
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:34:58 am »

Is his mom a soldier? Then you've got a babyshield there.

Other possibilities include that his mom died and the kid tried to suicide or the kid and his non-soldier mom got attacked by something

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:41:16 am »

This is a masterfully constructed babymail armor.  It is made from masterfully concieved poop factory.  The diaper is wet.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 02:54:48 pm »

Another possibility is that the mother got under dropping floor (from cave-in) while carrying baby. Happened to me once, Mother was bed ridden for years. The baby had head injury, grew to child normally, then decided to run towards orc ambush (which was loooooong distance away) even though I had ordered dwarves to stay inside. Suicide, of course.

I like to think that the head injury caused the child to behave that way...  :D
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 04:09:40 pm »

I had a baby lose a few chunks once while his mother was pumping out a river to make an obsidian cast.  One of the remaining sturgeon decided to have a bit of baby bacon.  Nasty wound, trail of blood for 10 or so squares.  I didn't think babies had that much in them!
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:11:06 pm »

The baby will probably heal up. Its just a red wound which is severe but can be healed. Just make sure you have some water and a few spare buckets and the baby will be fine.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 05:50:36 pm »

The baby will probably heal up. Its just a red wound which is severe but can be healed. Just make sure you have some water and a few spare buckets and the baby will be fine.

I don't think babies need or even CAN drink water (or booze), they get all the liquid they need from Mom in their first year.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 06:13:19 pm »

If the mother is dead dwarves will bring food and water to the baby like any other injured dwarf.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:23:04 pm »

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:32:08 pm »

I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
  You, sir, have just given me one of the most epic images ever.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 07:32:51 pm »

You, sir, have just given me one of the most epic images ever.

we need someone to draw this.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 03:00:49 am »

I hda a baby with two mangled hands and a mangled right upper leg a bit ago, a result of a fire imp attack on her mother.  She crawled around injured for a while, grew into a child, then got drug into a bed, where she sat until she healed.  Healed before she even reached maturity, though.

This is the same dwarf in the "Whats going on in your fort?" thread.  Both her parents are dead.

If only my map had bats on it.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 03:16:43 am »

My major achievement is wehn I had a tunnel leading to my magma forges, just let the lava loose and a baby crawled in and couldn't get out.

It was funny
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 04:33:01 am »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 09:05:10 am »

If the mother is dead dwarves will bring food and water to the baby like any other injured dwarf.

Well, if they don't go insane that is. In one of my old aboveground megacities, not one but TWO babies suicided by jumping from the top floor of a 12 Z-level high skyscraper (highest of the three skyscrapers I had constructed) and splattered all over my prison's roof. I only found the first baby's remains after the second one died, before that time it was a mystery how the "Baby has collided with an object" death message happened. I constructed a ramp and the dwarves took the remains (first baby was bones and second was a fresh corpse) into their tombs from the prison roof.

They suicided because their parents got killed in a siege.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3