Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)  (Read 147912 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 06:27:25 am »

Using your save here and it's telling me
Missing Creature Body Definition: CAT_MOUTH
 ???
My guess is he's using the CAT_MOUTH mod (which fixes a bug) and you're not.

Crap, yeah. Whoops. I've actually tampered with my raws quite a lot but I didn't think anything would affect saves. The cat thing isn't even necessary anymore; Undergrotto only ever had one pet cat and it died from old age a month before the update. Uploaded my copy of the raws just in case; I'll go add it to the first post now.

That brought a tear to my eye. Absolutely epic. It would be awesome to explore it in adventure mode.

You absolutely can, but I'll warn you that as far as my own experience goes Undergrotto runs hella slow in Adventure mode. It's pretty cool though; I find a lot of chasmlings appear in the tower-cap farm (in the industrial plaza) and the magmaworks (also in the industrial plaza). For additional Fun, try releasing the hydra and titan (they're under the arena; levers are properly labelled) right before you abandon. The hydra you can probably kill easily, but Cerol the titan's stats are 8 strength, 10 agility and 9 toughness from a decade of swimming. The dwarves themselves are all pretty tough bastards so any you managed to recruit would be an impressive feat indeed.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 11:43:11 am »

The only massive thing I've ever made underground is a 150x50ish cellular warehouse. D=
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 05:10:40 pm »

Scanner's busted still, but I took some photos of those early sketches. They are nasty and messy and feature my horrid chickenscratch writing, but eh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »

all i can say is whoa, after going through your 'tour' i wish i could actually go there.... even if just to be caged and thrown down to the temple of armok, silly humans....lol

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 01:07:29 am »

Holy crap Retro. Definitely worthy of a visit if it ever existed in real life.

I'm inspired to do a few things, starting with that elf trap thing. I have a new method of applied security.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2010, 09:15:43 am »

Simply amazing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2010, 02:05:46 pm »

I'm inspired to do a few things, starting with that elf trap thing. I have a new method of applied security.

I only thought it up in the last year of gameplay, but it's incredibly effective. You just have to make it's both always accessible and far closer than the real depot. Also, pull the lever before they all path to the locked door at the far end; if they land on the same tile they won't get caged. Although I'm sure you can trick them into pathing back up and into the bridge maze again if they're capable of walking.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2010, 02:21:54 pm »

Yeah, because I wasn't sure exactly how BUILDING_DESTROYER worked, I built my atom smasher in my front hallway with a trench in front of it (so that the vertical bridge would be unreachable, with walls or trench all around it).  Because it would flip people into the trench and stun them (causing Tradesplosion Tsunamis), I got around to doing this, too...

I'm pondering enslaving some elves because my queen is an elf, and I think maybe she'd like a few of her own kind as some kind of manservants or pets or something.

I just need to work in a seperate doorway that makes creatures path outside so that they have to pass through the atom smasher again if they somehow don't get caught the first time.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:39 pm »

I think this might surpass Flarechannel. Someone, get a god damn wiki page on this now!
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2010, 04:02:16 pm »

Retro, for mass terraforming projects, about how many miners DO you recommend?  10? 

And how did you dig out the massive cavern without things collapsing or generally being unhelpful?  Mass ramping?
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 05:28:20 pm »

The second post in this thread has a whole bunch of info, can't tell from your questions if you've read it or not but might as well throw it out there.

If you're playing with [SPEED:0], which you damn well should be for this sort of thing, seven-ish miners isn't so bad. I mean, sure, more often go faster, but at that speed the real-time difference isn't that wide of a margin. When you have more than 12-14, though, it's just excessive. Too many miners can dig out all the dirt around each other, which causes them to pathfind en masse back to the northwestern-most area to start again rather than take a step to the side and keep going. Really it's just important to try and keep them out of each others' paths.

In terms of the cavern, I'll list the ups/downs of each method. I only had two cave-in accidents in all of Undergrotto (ramping under a tree stupidly and accidentally deconstructing a support that I didn't think was a support) so generally as long as you're careful you shouldn't have trouble.

Quote from: Regular Digging and Mass-Collapsing
The main problem with this is that you have to leave access stairwells between floors, which causes your miners to waste probably 7/10 or something of their time on the job running back and forth between their mining spot and the stairwell since they will want to change floors every time they decide to dig elsewhere. If you designate everything at once you can just slowly add to the access stairwell one level at a time as they finish each level to avoid that problem, but then your issue becomes regular access: If you have ramps between levels for the final product, unless you leave out designating them to the end your miners will be able to sidestep your controlled stairwell access. You could use a different method for the levels that dwarves will be walking around and then using this method for the purely open-air levels, but then you have to worry about killing everyone below when you collapse it, so it's not so handy there. Also collapsed floors will destroy your pretty natural ramps, and it's not fun designating channels above your ramps on every single level in order to protect them. All you have to do when you're done is channel out all supporting tiles on each level, which doesn't take too long, and then get rid of the access stairwell and clear out your dwarves. Avoiding cave-ins isn't really an issue because you're kind of going that direction. It's also very unlikely you'll accidentally cause them.

I used this method to carve out the bottom half of the main cavern, but I wish I hadn't, because I ruined my ramps. Also pathfinding was hell.

Quote from: Up/Down Stairs and Channelling
This is the most arduous method and also the one I recommend. IMO it's absolutely worth it if you have the patience. Areas that will eventually become flat, designate as up-stairs. Ramps can be designated as ramps, but remember to leave undesignated squares above them. And everything else is up/down stairs. The main pro to this is obviously access, as you basically have flying dwarves. Plus if you want to do anything crazy like smooth and engrave the whole cavern it works really well. The obvious downside is that you have to channel everything away from the top down, which effectively means you have to designate everything twice, but for access purposes it's unbeatable so I think it's worth it. To avoid cave-ins, you just have to channel out all the stairs directly above all the ramps; if you don't do this, there's a pretty good chance that the dwarves will channel out a layer from below and leave the stairs directly above the ramps floating there, and ka-boom. You really just have to be careful that nobody tantrums on the stairs, since if your dwarves fall or trip or something, it's a long way down.

I used this method to carve out the top half of the main cavern. It worked really well, but because I'd already dug out and populated the bottom half, I had to leave a layer of up-stairs halfway through the cavern and slowly channel them out one at a time, which took forever. That was my own fault though, so I still recommend this method.

Quote from: Ramping
This method is generally pretty terrible for this sort of project. For one thing, you can't designate everything at once, which for planning purposes is absolutely necessary. You're also really likely to mess up and accidentally carve out more than you should by ramping below a ceiling you wanted to keep. I've used this a lot, and if you really want to the trick is to use regular dig designations at the edges of the ramping area as your cavern opens up downwards. It's a huge pain in the ass to remember, too. There are numerous other downsides to this, too, like the fact that ramp-carving is way more laggy than other dig methods, and the likelihood of causing cave-ins through easy mistakes. I also need to stress again that you never dig out more than one floor at a time with this no matter what, since that's a good way to kill some of your miners. There are also a lot of rules to using ramps and you might cut off your miners from food, booze, and beds if you're not familiar with them. There are up-sides to this, though; generally it's pretty easy for digging out small rooms two or three z-levels high, or digging small pits.

I used this method for hollowing out Mountaingate. It worked pretty well I guess, but in hindsight I should've done the stairs thing. I'm lucky I didn't ruin one of my circle layers with it.

Man I write way too much :\

Someone, get a god damn wiki page on this now!

Haha, I doubt that'll happen. But come to think of it, it might be a good idea for me to go make a user profile or whatever and stick all my digging advice up there. Probably easier to refer people to there than type it all up again.

Edit: I did!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:00:45 pm by Retro »

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 11:00:20 pm »

This fortress is beyond fucking insane--its like everything i've always wanted but never had the patience for. What you did with the entrance way is so friggin awesome though i would have gone with more of a fortified bridge in.

I love the hollow mountain idea with hanging stalactite housing ala dragon lance dwarves but its so damn hard to manually designate natural looking circles and my dwarves usually get all angry if i dont focus on temp housing for them. I've got the quick fort macros working so i cant wait to try and make what you've done once the new version comes out. 

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 03:41:48 am »

Retro, every fort you make is a masterpiece in it's own right. I think the prettiest thing any of my forts has ever had was that one time I shoved a temple into the bottom of a succession game (and then some dick flooded it with magma).
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 04:29:28 am »

As amazing as this fortress is, I'm more interested in the world to embark in!  Do you happen to have the world files, or a save just after embark?
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Berndarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Have beer will travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:47 am »

One word [EPIC]
1. Assign nobles.
2. Kill them for being nobles.

Rinse and repeat.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11