Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)  (Read 147926 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2010, 02:01:51 pm »

This fortress is beyond fucking insane--its like everything i've always wanted but never had the patience for. What you did with the entrance way is so friggin awesome though i would have gone with more of a fortified bridge in.

I love the hollow mountain idea with hanging stalactite housing ala dragon lance dwarves but its so damn hard to manually designate natural looking circles and my dwarves usually get all angry if i dont focus on temp housing for them. I've got the quick fort macros working so i cant wait to try and make what you've done once the new version comes out. 

For bridge fortifying, the military may be small, but they're multi-legendary in every weapon skill, armour using, and shield using, plus every social skill and some other random stuff. They all have stats in the 20s across the board. And since all enemies are forced to cross the ice bridge where they stand on patrol, it's more or less impossible for anything to get past, even sneaking things. Beats the hell out of dogs for thief-proofing. And is Dragonlance a DnD campaign or something? I didn't catch that reference.

As amazing as this fortress is, I'm more interested in the world to embark in!  Do you happen to have the world files, or a save just after embark?

Aside from the [CAT_MOUTH] thing, my raws are minorly touched up randomly here and there, so your world won't be exactly the same, but here's the gen info.

Spoiler: worldgen info (click to show/hide)

Site location is below if you want it. I came close to having a chasm apparently, and wasn't too far from HFS either.

And Doom... you only remind me how behind I am on Mightygrips :| well, I might have some free writing time later today...

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »

Very very nice.
Much better than anything I've done/even conceived of.  That makes the use of supersonic dwarves okay, in my book. :)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2010, 02:42:04 pm »

It is possibly even more epic than Flarechannels.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 04:39:47 pm »

you have achieved the impossible! you have achieved enuff dorfiness! *worships retro as the one true physical manifestation of Armok*
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 05:25:59 pm »

Dragonlance is a reference to a series of books, I believe.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 06:27:47 pm »

Yeah i was thinking more of an elaborate castle around the bridge making it look imposing. The dragon lance books had a fairly nice world except most of it was straight out of DnD/tolken. They had really nice dwarves though with an awesome home that was built into the mountain center with a massive stalactite where the nobles lived suspended over an underground sea with the low class dwarves living around its rim in slums.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2010, 07:24:48 pm »

Yeah i was thinking more of an elaborate castle around the bridge making it look imposing. The dragon lance books had a fairly nice world except most of it was straight out of DnD/tolken. They had really nice dwarves though with an awesome home that was built into the mountain center with a massive stalactite where the nobles lived suspended over an underground sea with the low class dwarves living around its rim in slums.

All of it was straight out of D&D. Literally. Dragonlance was originally based on a series of D&D play sessions.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 07:38:21 pm »

A+ man. A+ forever.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2010, 09:33:37 am »

speechless

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2010, 12:14:50 am »

How did you get water to all these odd places, like the lighthouse mini-grotto? And Gear's office?
I suppose bucket brigades are more effective at speed zero...

Edit: Found Gear's office. :P I thought it was much deeper underground.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:33:09 am by Alrenous »
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2010, 01:00:30 am »

How did you get water to all these odd places, like the lighthouse mini-grotto? And Gear's office?
I suppose bucket brigades are more effective at speed zero...

Edit: Found Gear's office. :P I thought it was much deeper underground.

Heh, yeah, the office is basically part of the outdoor lake. It was a good location at first, but then it later meant I couldn't perfectly round that area of the lake, which was annoying.

A lot of the time I set up some temporary pump scaffolding of sorts, for things like flooding and then draining the park. For others I mostly just set-up pump stations and then later re-purposed the area and now it looks like pumps were never there; I did use pump brigades for the hot tub in the palace and the shrine's pool, but that's it. For the Hammerer's dungeon, there used to be a pump/waterwheel setup from the northwest part of the lake (which is constantly powered by triple pumps) where the drain to the spring's pump stack is now. For the lighthouse's pool I was a bit more sneaky - I actually tapped the lake by going diagonally underneath and ramping upwards to drain slowly but surely into the pool without pressurizing it. Originally the path around the edges that I carved out didn't make it all the way around the area I'd dug due to the lake being in the way, so later when carving out the top half of the cavern I set some space aside to drop the exactly-right amount of natural wall in place to block it off and allow me to dig all the way around. For the pool within Mountaingate I just tapped a pocket aquifer that overlapped with my circle; the site actually has zillions of tiny non-biome-spanning aquifers on the grassy half of the map. Mostly they were a pain while I was flattening the landscape, but this one came in handy!

There was also a weird incident when trying to fill the small pond under the zoo. I filled it from the lake's old brook extension, and it went very slowly; my plan was to block off the source with a lever-door and then just let the rest spill out and evaporate afterwards, but one of the watery tiles seemed to generate unlimited amounts of water. Like an aquifer tile made of air instead of rocky wall. That's why there's a mess under the zoo platform - I tried to dig the spot out, then gave up and sealed it off. And that's all the pools of water I can think of.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2010, 04:18:49 pm »

I wish my later-repurposing skills were as clean as yours. :P I also really like your crypt, which I may totally steal.
BTW, I don't think you write too much; a project this size needs a lot of exposition, and anyway the only way to stop is the almighty rewriting technique.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:11 pm »

Retro, if you don't mind me asking, could you explain the raw-tampering you alluded to, that vaporized some of the excess stone?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »

I also really like your crypt, which I may totally steal.

It takes up a ton of space, FYI. Like minimum 3z on the surface (walking level, mound top w/statue, open-air) and then 2z underground (tombs, access shaft) and 4x5 of xy space per dwarf to get all the mounds separate. Just warning you. Of course, you could always do it a bit differently.

BTW, I don't think you write too much

>_>

<_<

Retro, if you don't mind me asking, could you explain the raw-tampering you alluded to, that vaporized some of the excess stone?

The smart way to do it: Pick one type of stone from the start and attempt to make everything out of that to avoid losing valuable mechanisms / lever-linked furniture / masterwork stuff. Once everything else is dug, go into the raws (it's like matgloss_mineral and matgloss_layer I think) and pick the most plentiful stone types from your dug-out area - this would probably be the layer stone(s) and the main pockets (ie. microcline, orthoclase, alunite). Keep the economic stones / ores and rough gems. On the stone types you want removed, add [MELTINGPOINT_10000] (just under the subterranean room temperature of 10015) and [BOILINGPOINT_10010] (likewise, but marginally higher). Re-load the game and hit '.' to advance one frame - this should take a while, and your screen will turn red with the boiling smoke and whatnot. Then unpause, let the stone finish boiling (should be decently fast now), save, and close the game. Remove the boiling/melting tokens and re-load. You're good to go.

Dumb way: Decide four years into the fort that you need to use this method. Accidentally destroy a few masterwork items, some levers and other important furniture. Losses somewhat acceptable.

Really dumb way: Decide eight years into the fort that you need to do this a second time. Accidentally destroy hundreds of masterwork items, many important levers, and many imperative floodgates, pumps, and doors connected to the waterworks system. Panic and attempt to stop imminent flooding of fortress.

Um... I went with options #2 and 3. You should go with the first one. More info on my wiki profile or the second post in this thread within some spoilers if you need it.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2010, 07:59:02 pm »

Another smart way mode the melting and boiling points in before you dig anything or as soon as you hit a stone you don't want. Stones evaporate as they are mined and should not harm your dwarves. Items will never get made out of them as they evaporate before they can be used. This may affect your FPS though (if you have a lot of miners).

Alternate smart way add the [SOIL] token to the stones you don't want to drop rocks.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11