Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I have come here to kick butt and to lose internal organs! And ...  (Read 5284 times)

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... I have no pancreas?

As a result of a poorly planned attempt to change weapons professions, a rather extended encounter with some wolves resulted in one of them trying to walk away with my pancreas. ( At that point I switched back to my main weapon & quickly finished them off. )

I'm almost tempted to wiki up the explanation of how important this organ is in real life. My adventurer appears to be fine. Now, I am aware that travel mode fixes almost all injuries but -

Question 1: Provided the loss is not immediately fatal - does travel mode also replace lost organs? Or make their loss moot?

Next - I've managed to get a very helpful companion. Unfortunately during my last quest "Crossbow Babe" decides to get separated, do a bee line straight for the quest target, & become a mangled bloody pretzel. She gave as good as she got, most fortunate for me. I found them in time to engage in a ineffective slapstick poke-a-thon with the giant - who eventually got bored & bled out. So -

Question 2: Can you rearm a companion who lost their weapon?

If the answer is "No" or something ridiculously convoluted I'm going to try to drop her off back at her home town.

Thank you to anyone who who can answer or otherwise point me in the right direction.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.
This was supposed to be a cool upgrade. All I got was more hostile zombies.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I have come here to kick butt and to lose internal organs! And ...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 10:39:24 pm »

You can't tell people to leave you. You'll have to find something to mercy-kill her.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:44 pm »

You can't tell people to leave you. You'll have to find something to mercy-kill her.

Ah. No matter then. I'll just pretend she's been promoted to "Sargent Master Karate Chick" and proceed.  ;D

I've russelled up another quest. Dunno what a "Grimeling" is; but, it's going down!
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:27 am »

Travel mode doesn't replace anything, just cauterizes the wound and heals it. Also, loss of an organ isn't a very dangerous wound in the current version. IRL, however, the pancreas is a very vital organ I think.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 01:28:45 am »

Uhh, yeah...  Pancreas is vital.

But in Dwarf Fortress, there are only four internal things you really need to worry about...  Lungs, heart, brain and "guts".  Lose any one of those, and you're dead.  The rest is just filler.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:57:36 am »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:19:43 am »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:49:32 am »

I think you actually can re-arm and get rid of companions by retiring somewhere, but I don't know, I never lived that long.

Traveling doesn't replace anything as mentioned, and it won't fix wounds that won't heal in fortress mode either, so lose a lung, mangled hearth, etc and you're still going down. Not that those will let you fast travel, you can't do that with a lethal wound.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:40:56 am »

Have your companion wrestle with anything wearing clothes, and eventualy she will rearm herself. It will be with a a piece of clothing though ;D

The retirement thing might work better, though I havnt tried that myself.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 11:52:00 am »

In the next version, the internal organs will matter a bit more than instantly dying from a lack of them.

Also, the retiring thing works to an extent. I had a rather interesting bug (I think) where when I started my adventurer again, half my team had managed to rouse the entire town into fighting against me and the remainder of my team. Was an epic battle, to say the least.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 08:38:28 pm »

I've russelled up another quest. Dunno what a "Grimeling" is; but, it's going down!
Don't do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 10:00:45 pm »

Don't do it.
Those things are vanilla?  Good grief, I've never encountered them before.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

FourierSeries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:38:25 pm »

Don't do it.

Too late.

Since my first companion turned out to be awesome - I added 2 more. Good idea? In addition to "Karate Chick" I now have a generic farmer & a swordsman.

I tooled over to the Quest area, found the Grimeling, & commenced throwing stuff from a safe distance.

The swordsman companion casually walked over to it & cut it down with 2 strokes or so.

I may be catching on to a potential drawback with companions.

As my group appears to be borderline badass it's time for a bigger challenge.

Next up: Goblin tower raid!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:36:01 am »

dammit I never get good companions, and when I do they stick their thumb up their arses and converse with the local dwarven prisoners while I'm being bashed down by 50 thousand goblin wrestlers
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 04:50:31 pm »

It's time to kick ass and lose internal organs. And I'm all out of pancreas.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: [1] 2