Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I just had a moment of fridge logic  (Read 10669 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: I just had a moment of fridge logic
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 06:27:46 am »

FWIW, "Mc" and/or "Mac" just means "son of". So it's a little weird to see Urist, son of Mason.

It'd be nice to see various naming schema used in future versions, maybe tied to culture? So, one civilization might follow a patronymic model and name everyone "<Firstname> <Father's name+suffix>" while another might follow a Germanic model and reference birth location (Urist von Boatmurdered, for instance).

And another might dispense with surnames altogether (kobolds already do this).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Archmage Ansrit

• Bay Watcher
  • I crush -and blow up- stuff FOR JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 09:27:19 am »

Urist von Boatmurdered, for instance.
No no, that's too formal, he's Sauron to his friends.
"The concept that a video game can be played in a manner that doesn't entail wasting time amuses me." -Squidhead, GameFAQs forums
Because dwarves are goddamned crazy.
So, basically, it is just a matter of luck whether you live or suffer horrible death... sounds like dwarf fortress.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 10:43:28 am »

Wrex is obviously because he is the king of wrecking things.

And yeah, McProfession is weird. They are not the son of their profession. I hate seeing it. Everybody, please stop.

Urist is fine though.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 10:48:18 am »

but what if they ARE the son of their profession? In real life this is obviously impossible, but in DF? It would not surprise me in the slightest if I went into legends mode and found a dwarf who was "Son of Carpenter" or "Daughter of mason".
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real names of the form 'son of *job title*'
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 11:36:24 am »

Ahem. Carterson, Tannerson, Cooperson....I especially like Dotterson.  DForumite names tend to make more sense to me than actual names.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 01:01:19 pm »

And yeah, McProfession is weird. They are not the son of their profession. I hate seeing it. Everybody, please stop.
This seems a little irrational. I mean, you don't go around to your friends going "MacHenderson? YOUR FATHER'S NAME IS JOHN! I HATE YOU I HATE YOU CHANGE YOUR NAME NOW OR WE CANNOT BE FRIENDS". Really, Mc is just fun to say, and convenient. Maybe annoying, but people should be able to name their dwarves what they like, neh?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 01:21:02 pm »

but what if they ARE the son of their profession? In real life this is obviously impossible, but in DF? It would not surprise me in the slightest if I went into legends mode and found a dwarf who was "Son of Carpenter" or "Daughter of mason".

Actually, I'm expecting "Urist McUnknownCreature". That always bugs me in Legends mode...you'd think it would at least say "unknown dwarf/elf/human/gobbo/etc", since there's no cross-species breeding as of yet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]