Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spell and Spear ~ My Seven day Roguelike  (Read 6949 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Spell and Spear ~ My Seven day Roguelike
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:44:50 pm »

Download

Left and right arrow keys to rotate character, up to move forward, down to rest a turn. Shift to pick up items, Z to pull up your menu, where your equipment and spells/techniques are found. X to shoot if you're wielding a ranged weapon. All else is mouse controlled. I'll make a help file or something later, I plan on continuing this project after the competition is over.

(The "Character" button on your menu does nothing. Sorry I missed that guys.)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:04:30 pm by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spell and Spear ~ My Seven day Roguelike
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:57:30 pm »

I like the movement control sceme, it was a good way to use the arrow keys.  I died almost imediatly though.
The great game of Warlocks!

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 08:59:11 pm »

I didn't really have much time for balancing. What was it that got you?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:48:01 pm »

a witch (sea witch i think) I took a few step and then noticed a person.  "I wonder if they're friendly" by the time I got to her and noticed the messages to the left, I was dead.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 01:30:48 am »

Can I have some sort of quit conformation? Hitting escape to bring up menus is second habit for me :(

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:57:26 am »

So yeah, I decided to become a dwarf mage focusing on intelligence and endurance and taking armor, resistance and spellcraft... I to the first monster I found, namely a witch...  aren't I supposed to be able to cast spells or something? All I managed to do is punch her.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:54:30 am »

So I managed to equip my sword. I also found the abilities menu, which is presumably where spells go (alongside Sprint and Take Aim). You press Z, which I found my mashing random buttons. Beyond that, it seems like there's little to do but walk into enemies. I got obliterated by the fire man.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:37:18 pm »

I played it again this time I saw a fire mand and so ran into the next room where I got ganged up on by three witches, you might want to tone down the dificulty.

The Willow Wisp

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably not a tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:24:19 pm »

Maybe you could add something that tells you what catergory a weapon falls under. I had an issue figuring out which blades were heavy and which blades were light.

Also, trolls weilding Arbalests are not cool.
The reason for Time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:23:53 am »

I shall begin work on an updated version sometime this week. There will be a separate download link for the current and the 7DRL version. More item info will be one of my major concerns, you'll probably want to know that a claymore deals more damage than a greatsword and whatnot.