Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adv - hint about (random) encounters  (Read 411 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Adv - hint about (random) encounters
« on: February 29, 2008, 02:55:00 pm »

Hi!

Playing a little bit in adventure mode, I have come across a little dilemma at times:

During travel on the travel map, I suddenly get pulled down into an encounter. Figuring to be better safe than sorry, I start sneaking right away and search for the monster - and search for the monster - and search for the monster - and never find it!

The problem is, I have no idea of in which direction I should look for the creature that triggered the encounter, so I try searching in ever larger circles around my starting position. And eventually I give up when the circles grow ridiculously big without any hint of the creature.

Thus, I think it would be nice if we got at least a general hint like "You felt a presence to the north" or "You heard a noise from the west" at the beginning of an encounter. I do not mean a tracking system or anything, but just a vague hint as to which general direction the threat is coming from.

And I do believe that it makes sense in the game world, as well. After all, the involuntary move from travel to local map signals that our character noticed something and decided to move more carefully. Such, it would make sense if we knew from which general direction the sensation came the character noticed.

Deathworks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adv - hint about (random) encounters
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

You forget, the mosnter you encountered went "oh sh*t, random battle!" and did the same thing you did. :P

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Deathworks:
<STRONG>And I do believe that it makes sense in the game world, as well. After all, the involuntary move from travel to local map signals that our character noticed something and decided to move more carefully. Such, it would make sense if we knew from which general direction the sensation came the character noticed.</STRONG>
Monsters should be able to set ambushes for the player, though.  Although...  they really don't, at the moment.  Logically there should be some perception check; if you win, you sense the creature nearby, and if not...

Well, what happens would depend on the creature.  If, say, a pack of hungry wolves detects you and you don't detect them (at first), then the fight should begin with them already in sight of you (you get your first warning when they enter your view.)  If you detect them first, it should go as you described above.

Whereas some creatures might avoid you deliberately...  some might even just fail to notice you (a double miss if you also fail to notice them--effectively, no encounter.  But a necessary check so high-perception characters have a chance to ambush them.)

Smarter creatures might set up proper ambushes, which could be nasty if you wander into a group of crossbow-goblins.  Ok, maybe that last one isn't such a hot idea...  I'm not sure pulling the player out of travel mode at random to show them an instant "You die!" message would be so good.

Perhaps there should be some sort of travelling / wilderness skill to help players with this...  or they could use the existing ambush skill.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Something tells me once roads are in, goblins will start setting up cleverer ambushes. Which makes me wonder if goblins will have roads between their fortresses or not.
Sounds obvious there won't be roads from a human town to a goblin evil fortress, though.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:14:51 pm by penguinofhonor »