Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs wont Smelt  (Read 1326 times)

Boatmurdered

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs wont Smelt
« on: March 13, 2010, 11:58:50 pm »

One of my dwarves just got a fey mood (my first in a long time), and amongst other things, he's demanding metal bars. I have a decent amount of copper nuggets lying around, so I built a wood furnace, made some charcoal, and then told my smelter to smelt some copper ore out of the nuggets. Now, everyone is just sitting around. I've been through the wiki page, and I have various metalcrafting skills enabled on several dwarves, and still nothing. Even Urist McMetalcrafter is just sitting in his room, staring at his new engravings, while I'm hoping that the dwarf wont tantrum and kill everyone.

What can I do to kick-start these dorfs into action?
I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs wont Smelt
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 12:00:40 am »

Stupid question, but furnace operating is one of the skills you have enabled?

Boatmurdered

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02:09 am »

Stupid question, but furnace operating is one of the skills you have enabled?
*facepalm*

I blame the Wiki page. And my newbiness.

Thanks for the help, my metalcrafter suddenly decided that smelting would be a good idea. Lets hope he can do it in time *crosses fingers*
I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:50:07 am »

You should also hope that your fey dwarf doesn't have a liking for bismuth bronze or platinum or some other difficult to find metal.  I've had a moody weaponsmith (yay) go beserk because he would only make his artifact out of gold (boo).
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:04 am »

I believe dorfs no longer need particular types of things, any metal bar will do.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?