Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do hippos ever  (Read 4340 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do hippos ever
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 08:49:36 am »

I'd assume you just put a cage trap out somewhere that they like to stand.

But don't hippos stand... underwater?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:59 pm »

I'd assume you just put a cage trap out somewhere that they like to stand.

I have a cage trap I randomly placed out in the middle of a field with absolutely nothing baiting anything to step on it, it's just sitting in the middle of nowhere, and I forgot all about it.

I recently found it again, because it had three filled cages flashing on top of it, I had caught 2 unicorns and a groundhog, and nobody had bothered to carry the cages back into the fort yet.

THIS.

I usually catch all my experiment subjects animals this way. I just look on the map where a few of them wander and put a trap there. Use more traps and one of them will be a hit! constantly catching more and more subjects.

Though. The town of matchshield has a great design to catch stuff. Simply a cross with a cage trap in the middle.

If animals path through the area they are forced to move through the cagetrap square. It's like four funnels pointed directly at your doom. It's a great design! ... however not so much for hippo catching i think. Because the hippos are -scary- and your masons will make a huge fuss about designing a big trap like this. Especially since I suspect it's design is aimed towards catching wanderers.

A benefit when catching river creatures is that you can construct elaborate underground traps. A few cages.. a floodgate.. an aquafier.. dig to the river from underground and watch the stream bring hippos into your trappos.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 03:47:03 pm »

A benefit when catching river creatures is that you can construct elaborate underground traps. A few cages.. a floodgate.. an aquafier.. dig to the river from underground and watch the stream bring hippos into your trappos.

One thing I don't understand, namely: what does an aquifer have to do with catching river-dwelling creatures? Also, what are the best biomes to look for hippos? According to the wiki, they live in tropical rivers, but I had embarked a couple of times on those without getting any hippos. Unless, of course, they have to be literally rivers and not brooks or streams.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 05:38:26 pm »

what does an aquifer have to do with catching river-dwelling creatures?

Sounds like hes draining the river into an aquifer via some tunneling over to the rivers edge.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 05:47:34 pm »

Right, I only just now realized that redirecting a river as described above is impossible unless you actually drain it. Seeing how I lack the patience to dick around with aquifers, I better look for a site with a chasm or pit.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 05:53:24 pm »

Right, I only just now realized that redirecting a river as described above is impossible unless you actually drain it. Seeing how I lack the patience to dick around with aquifers, I better look for a site with a chasm or pit.

The easy answer is just carving map-edge fortifications if that's not too exploitative for you.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 06:01:23 pm »

But that would be permanent, wouldn't it? I don't want to permanently get rid of my river, just to drain it.

Also, seeing how my ultimate goal is catching hippos, wouldn't they go on land if I just carved some ramps for them?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 06:55:15 pm »

Hippos don't need ramps unless there's no water thats deep enough to swim in. As long as they can swimm, they can just clamber up the banks, and then dive back in to pull your dwarves to their death
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 07:04:43 pm »

Hippos don't need ramps unless there's no water thats deep enough to swim in. As long as they can swimm, they can just clamber up the banks, and then dive back in to pull your dwarves to their death

That's nice.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »

Sounds like hes draining the river into an aquifer via some tunneling over to the rivers edge.

10 points!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Hobbie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 11:22:12 pm »

Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.

I wanted so hard to sig this. =/
Pages: 1 [2]